Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Acne and eczema, please help :(
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Reis

Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:45 am      Reply with quote
Hello!

I came across this forum completely on accident, but I am so glad that I did because it seems everyone here is so nice and knowledgeable about skin care that I was very inspired to post Wink I've been searching all over the internet for some help to some of the skin conditions that I have, so I am hoping that perhaps someone here might have some advice for me.

My post is rather long, but please bear with me Wink I've suffered with eczema for most of my life, with only minor acne problems during my teens, but over the past year I've really developed bad acne flare ups all over my face. My biggest challenge is finding a good skin care routine that will help my acne, but won't irritate my eczema. I would probably describe my skin as sensitive and dry.

I had tried cleansers and spot treatments with BP or SA, which initially worked, but over time, caused more irritation, so I stopped. I've also invested into more expensive lines such as Juice Beauty and DDF, which have helped slightly, but the root problem still remains. I finally went to go see a dermatologist recently, and she prescribed me Differin, which I have also been using, but with only so-so results. I think the key thing that I am missing is a good skin routine that will keep my skin moisturized (but not overly), keep my pores clear, prevent bacteria, and treat/prevent acne.

I have recently started to exercise more and maintain a healthier diet with hopes that it will help a lot of my skin/health problems. I know that with drastic changes in lifestyle that the skin can go through a "purging" period, but I still was hoping to ask if anyone had any advice on a good skin routine to keep during and after this transition time. (And in case anyone does know, how long does a "purging" period usually last for?)

After reading some of the posts here in the forums, I was thinking something the lines of:

For Cleanser:
- Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser
- Aveeno's Foaming Gentle Cleanser
(I have tried Purpose cleanser by J&J, but found it rather drying, and Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, but I did not feel it cleaned my face very well)

For Exfoliant:
- It seems a lot of people here really like Dr. Hauschka. Is there a good Dr. Hauschka product that gently exfoliates and does not irritate?
- Another product I have tried in the past was Peter Thomas Roth's Buffing Beads. I felt that it was very gentle - would it be gentle enough for daily or every other day exfoliation?

For Toner:
- My skin does not do well with toners that contain alcohol. I've tried the AVC toner, but found it to be rather strong. Does anyone recommend any gentle toners?

For Moisturizer:
- DDF Moisturizing Dew
My dermatologist recommended Cetaphil moisturizer, but I find it rather greasy and I wonder if it clogs my pores and causes me to breakout.

For Sunblock:
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock
- Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer (I've recently tried this, I'm not sure if it breaks me out yet)

For Mineral Makeup:
- Alima
I've tried Bare Escentuals in the past, but I wonder if I am allergic to Bismuth because it seems that my pores started to clog more ever since I started using it.

For Supplements/Prescriptions:
- Differin
- B Vitamin Complex, Zinc, and Fish Oil

For spot treatment/masks:
I'm rather clueless on what products to use that won't irritate my skin further Crying or Very sad

Sorry for the extremely long post! I would be so grateful for any advice on what products to use and/or not to use, and a good AM/PM routine that will not overdry or irritate my skin. Thank you so much!
dips18
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Reis,
I thought I would post a few ideas and hopefully someonse else will jump in with some more info for you. I have acne prone skin but it is very much under control now - maybe the odd bump or two. So in regard to the sunscreen i used to use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer and it didn't really give me good cover and felt greasy on my skin so I now use a real strong zinc based sunscreen which is working like a dream in prevention. So perhaps consider a physical sunscreen rather than a chemical one.
I've tried the AVC and a bit too strong for me as well so I made a very weak dilution and that works better but I still prefer to use my fav MD forte II lotion. Supplements that have helped my acne and general health include MSM, Zinc, B Complex and Omega to name a few. HTH Smile
Caspers Mum

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
Cleansers: Eminence Mineral Cleansing Concentrate or DS Laboratories Hydroviton CR.

Toners: Eminence Sweet Red Rose Tonique, Jurlique Rosewater Freshener, or Dermalogica Soothing Protection Spray.

Moisturizer (day): Decleor Aromessence Visage Neroli - Aromessence Neroli followed by Decleor Harmonie Delicate Soothing Emulsion.

Moisturizer (night): Decleor Aromessence Baume Essentiel - Essential Balm.

I second the recommendation for taking Zinc supplements. Evening Primrose Oil will also help.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
If you don't like the Differin, talk to your Doctor. There may be something that would work better for you. A lot of people find that emu oil helps with eczema. When my eczema flares I need to use steroid ointment mixed with Mimyx which is a prescription barrier cream. If I use them right away, it controls it well. Mimyx is great, and not a steroid. You can also try cutting out common triggers of eczema - milk, nuts and soy. hth
Kareberry*
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
Try to get a sample of LRP's Lipikar Baume. It worked very well on my boyfriend. But then again my boyfriend's eczema was due to dry skin. I know some people who have eczema flare ups when they are in the sun...
rubby
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:19 am      Reply with quote
Kareberry* wrote:
Try to get a sample of LRP's Lipikar Baume.

This was also recommended for my daughter's eczema - as a body moisturizer. And it worked OK. I'm not sure I'd put this on my face if I was acne-prone.

44, oily T-zone, acne prone (PCOS) ~ Baby Q & Tanda (blue light) ~ Karin Herzog (Oxy Face, Vita-A-Kombi 2, Vitamin H, Eye cream) ~ PSF (Cramberry Eye Gel) ~ Pearl/Silk powder primer and mist ~ L2K ~ MMU
jwils
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Did your doctor ever suggest Tazorac? I just recently started using this instead of Tretinoin. In reading up on it, I found that it is prescribed for both acne and eczema. It is available in both a cream and gel formula.
Reis

Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the replies! Very Happy I'm definitely writing down everyone's suggestions to look into!

I have officially become a huge fan of zinc Wink I've increased my zinc intake over the past two weeks and although it is not a cure, it has definitely helped immensely with inflammation.

dips18, I was wondering, what is the name of the zinc based sunscreen that you use? I would be very interested in trying it out.

Caspers Mum, I have heard many good things about Decleor. Are the products very rich? I also heard Decleor has a very good spot treatment?

jwils, I actually recently discussed Tazorac with my dermatologist, and since my skin is very sensitive right now, Tazorac might be a bit strong. Maybe a little bit down the road when my skin becomes more used to Differin I might be able to upgrade.

I was also recommended by a friend to start making ginseng tea to help out as well so we shall see how that goes!

Thank you so much for everyone's help and input!
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:39 am      Reply with quote
I was reading Dr Bauman's Skin Type Solutions (?) book and she mentions that eczema's symptoms can include acne, so treating the eczema will also treat the acne.

She recommends staying away from all exfolients since that just increases the skin irritation and focus more on keeping the skin hydrated and strong. However she does recommend the use of Vit C, so at least anti-oxidents are allowed. Very Happy

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
dips18
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
Reis wrote:
I was wondering, what is the name of the zinc based sunscreen that you use? I would be very interested in trying it out.

Hi Reis, The sunscreen I use has 19% zinc. It is really strong and I have to wait at least 10mins for it to sink it before I can apply makeup but it it worth it. My acne scars are fading much better since I started using it. It is called Dr Lewinns Private Formula and sorry to say I don't think it is available in the states. I'm hoping an ebay seller will turn up with it eventually so I can save a bit of money. I'm sure you can find other brands that have a high content of either zinc or titanium that will work just as well.
dips18
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Eeeekkkk! I just found it on ebay Australia. Very Happy
melanie haber
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
They seem to do business outside of Australia.

http://www.drlewinns.com/

Is the product called Sun Defense?

Dips, are you in Australia?
dips18
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Melanie, I am in NZ and yes it is called Sun defence - just placed my review:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=24951
It is available outside Aus and saw a link for the states as well. Also checked out that ebay seller and they only ship within Australia. Sad Sure it will turn up on a international ebay sellers site. Till then I will pay $$$.
zzorila

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
is not the greatest web site but the description of skin types and related products has enabled me to identify the best products for my skin. The fact that the products are all natural (check the ingredients – very good and well researched!) gives me peace of mind about what I am using daily on my skin.
All the products are natural and your skin responds to the ingredients a lot quicker than other ‘well marketed ‘products that I have used. This is the original formula and the quality is great!!
elizabethbrown

Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:28 am      Reply with quote
I suggest aloe vera plant gel as a home remedy. An aloe vera plant gel that is used as a moisturizer and anti-inflammatory treatment. Many people find it effective to treat eczema, as it relieves itching and moisturizes dry and pale skin.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |