Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Essie Crystal Nail File - anyone use?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Geminiwoman
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone used one of these? Where do you get one at a good price? I've heard they are good for nails that split and break. Any truth to that???

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:27 am      Reply with quote
I have not tried Essie, but I have used glass nail files for years and they are very good. You get a cleaner edge than with other files. I don't think it will solve the peeling problem, but it might help a bit. In any case, I doubt you'll ever go back after trying it Smile

If you have a problem with splitting nails that break easily, I think Ecrinal will fix that. I know it did for me Smile

Hth
Cadia
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:50 am      Reply with quote
I ordered the Essie Nail File after reading this thread: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=21195

It turned out to be a really good buy and I'm very pleased with it indeed. Files well and leaves a nice, clean line. It didn't seem to damage nails either.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:08 am      Reply with quote
I concur...I started out touting the benefits of my (faux) Diamancel diamond nail file (which was light-years ahead of the traditional emery boards and metal nail files of yester-year) and then someone sent me a crystal/glass nail file (from Sally Hansen, available at drugstores for about $5-$6USD) as a swap extra and I love it even more!

I think the diamond nail files are better for thicker nails, like for pedicures if you've got "horny" toenails (i.e.: thick, difficult to cut).

But if you've got soft or fragile nails, definitely go with a glass/crystal nail file!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:27 am      Reply with quote
I bought a beautiful etched glass file as a sort of decorative gift for a friend of mine, but she said she loved it for function too because it was much gentler. I tried it out and something about the way it felt to file against the glass gave me the heebie-jeebies, but if I get around to visiting that adorable shop where I bought her that one, I will probably pick up a pretty etched one for myself as well, since my nails break easily and I'm prone to irregular, rough filing. I imagine it only takes a little while to get over the different sensation, much like any change in your normal regime.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:23 am      Reply with quote
I decided to buy this nail file after reading this post. Have used it for a couple weeks so far with great results. It seems as if my nails are less prone to snagging when I file with the Essie than the standard nail file I purchased from Tweezerman. Time will tell if this is going to be the nail file for me. I'm just afraid of dropping the darn thing! Very Happy

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
vonstella
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:54 am      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
I decided to buy this nail file after reading this post. Have used it for a couple weeks so far with great results. It seems as if my nails are less prone to snagging when I file with the Essie than the standard nail file I purchased from Tweezerman. Time will tell if this is going to be the nail file for me. I'm just afraid of dropping the darn thing! Very Happy

Ive dropped mine (on tile) with no ill effects, I soooo wish I had a slow motion video of my face as it fell, the look of terror would have been priceless! Laughing

Ive had mine for over six months I suppose, wont ever go back to regular Emery boards. Even though I wear my nails short I havent gotten a spilt or broken nail since using it. Great investment IMO.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Geminiwoman wrote:
Has anyone used one of these? Where do you get one at a good price? I've heard they are good for nails that split and break. Any truth to that???

I have the Essie Crystal nail file. Loooove it! Sort of dumb, but I went for a cheaper crystal file first to see if I would like it. I did, except that it wasn't 2-sided which drove me crazy (Essie is 2-sided).
In my case, I would probably be happy with any good quality 2-sided crystal nail file -- even a generic brand one. Essie was convenient since it was available at Ulta. I am not sure if OPI's crystal file is 2-sided, but that might be another good one.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote
marci65 wrote:
Geminiwoman wrote:

I have the Essie Crystal nail file. Loooove it! Sort of dumb, but I went for a cheaper crystal file first to see if I would like it. I did, except that it wasn't 2-sided which drove me crazy (Essie is 2-sided).
In my case, I would probably be happy with any good quality 2-sided crystal nail file -- even a generic brand one. Essie was convenient since it was available at Ulta. I am not sure if OPI's crystal file is 2-sided, but that might be another good one.

I purchased my Esse nail file at a beauty supply store. It was packaged with a tiny bottle of nail polish for only $6.95, so even if I DO drop it and it shatters all over my floor in 6 months I'll still consider it a good buy. The nail polish, I could have done without and emptied out the bottle to retain for Honeybee Gardens nail polish instead. Laughing

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Agree crystal files are soooo much better than emery boards! I've been using one I found in a Hallmark store for $10 for about 2 years and it's great. It sort of "seals" the edge of the nail while it files it. I can smell the "burnt nail", which might be kinda gross, but the results are perfect.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
I bought a set of glass nail files a while ago and they are simply the best. Much cheaper than the diamond ones (which I don't think I'll ever need to use) and they will literally last forever because they don't wear off. Cleaning is so simple as well.

One down side is that they are brittle, which means they snap rather easily if bent or stood on.
lamicuz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:06 am      Reply with quote
i love my glass file from trind. it really does a nice & clean filing job...no ragged edges are ever left.

i also love that the glass can be easily & safely cleaned & scrubbed down.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |