Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

hair care in the wild
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
As an extension of my other thread, since I'll only be showering once a week (if I'm SUPER lucky) so am looking for a GOOD shampoo.

Currently, I have very oily hair which I wash everyday (by the end of the first day I tend to get straggly oily hair...i can't even imagine a week). I was thinking a clarifying shampoo and maybe baby powder combed through? I'm also thinking of maybe getting a perm just to 'dry' out my hair a bit Rolling Eyes

Any suggestions?
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a thread on dry shampoo and carekate posted a DIY version.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6118
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
thanks so much for the link! I hadn't even thought of dry shampoo!
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
hmmm...would it be okay to use my pearl powder in my hair?
missmia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:04 am      Reply with quote
HannaLee,how long is your hair? A perm usually needs a little bit more attention at first-no? Why not just get a shorter, more manageble cut that doesn't take any looking after. They will work better with the dry shampoo too though i haven't a clue about the pearl powder but wouldn't it be a bit of a waste?
damblues
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:56 am      Reply with quote
I would say enjoy that once a week hair washing!! Laughing

You may just have to pull it back and pop a hat on it.

I am not sure about the perm, what would the benefit be? Do you routinely get perms? Seems like a harsh alternative to me.

I do not know how long your hair is, how thick, etc... but if you will have access to some water - maybe you could just rinse it with a little ACV? Maybe mix you up a container of ACV rinse and just use that? If space is very limited maybe you could dab it on with a cotton ball?

Deb
HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't had a perm in years! I was contemplating getting a straight perm in hopes that it'd dry out my hair a bit Embarassed

I'm not quite sure what my accomodations will be, I'm waiting for the organization to get me the details of the family I'll be staying with once I'm in the village.

I've been looking into the dry shampoos, the Pssst ones doesn't seem like it'd last too many uses, and i don't like the idea of the aerosol. The Bumble and Bumble one is so expensive!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
HannaLee wrote:
I haven't had a perm in years! I was contemplating getting a straight perm in hopes that it'd dry out my hair a bit Embarassed
Just remember that a perm also has other "side effects:" the perm solution will alter your hair color (natural or not) so that it tends toward orange-iness (that's why they tell you to perm BEFORE you color). It'll dry out your scalp area, but it can also damage your ends. I just personally don't think that's a decent-enogh trade-off for (possibly) not having to wash your hair for a week. Just get a cute hat or bandana or "do-rag" and tuck your hair out of sight if it starts to look "oozy."

I like the previous suggestions about using a dry shampoo or dabbing ACV on your roots with a cotton ball to absorb excess oil. Here's another super-easy, quick-and-dirty (no pun!) DIY dry shampoo recipe for you:

Get it an old plastic bottle with a spray-top (you can usually find them at the supermarket/drugstore in the aisle where they sell travel-sizes of beauty products and little plastic travel-containers), then fill it approx 1/4 full with ACV, then fill the remaining 3/4 with water (preferrably distilled or bottled), then add a couple tablespoons of corn starch (found in cooking/baking aisle at grocery store) and a few drops of your fave essential oil (optional -- to help "cancel out" the ACV scent). Shake shake shake the bottle well (the corn starch isn't going to dissolve in the liquid, but shaking it will disperse it so it will come out evenly when you spray it), then spritz the mixture onto your roots of day-old (week-old!) hair. Let it dry, then brush hair to ensure there's no white residue left from the corn starch. The ACV will help break up the natural oils and the corn starch will absorb the excess oils and give your roots some volume so they don't look "packed down."

Also, make sure you brush your hair thoroughly both morning and night to help evenly distribute the oils from your scalp along the entire hair shaft so it's not "puddling" on your scalp to leave you looking like an oil-slick!

HTH,
Carrie

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
thanks carekate! I'll have to pick up some ACV for sure! I like the idea of a spray, as i'm sure it'll be much less messy than a dry shampoo/talcum powder! I'll try your mixture in the next few weeks, it's going to be a few weeks of test runs, I don't want to be trying new things while I'm out there!

I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow, so i will make sure to ask the stylist which type of brush he recommends to help with the oilies. I'm also trying to work out some hairstyles to change up the ponytail to avoid wearing my hair in the same spot, perhaps braided pigtails? Since I won't be able to grow out my bangs, I'll be taking a lot of little clips/bobby-pins to pin them up.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
HannaLee wrote:

I'm not quite sure what my accomodations will be, I'm waiting for the organization to get me the details of the family I'll be staying with once I'm in the village.

I've been looking into the dry shampoos, the Pssst ones doesn't seem like it'd last too many uses, and i don't like the idea of the aerosol. The Bumble and Bumble one is so expensive!

The B&b IS very expensive, but I'm one of the very few people on here who swear by it - you don't need much at all, and they sell smaller travel/trial containers (that are still expensive, but at least that way you can see if you hate it). I recommend going to a salon that has testers, finding your shade, and buying the small version - it can hardly hurt, especially if your hair is oily. HTH!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
HannaLee wrote:
I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow, so i will make sure to ask the stylist which type of brush he recommends to help with the oilies.
I don't know what he'll tell you, but my recommendation is a Mason Pearson-type "paddle" or "cushion" brush with a mix of natural boar's head (or porcupine) and plastic/synthetic bristles.

MP brushes are V-E-R-Y expensive (though you might find a bargain on Ebay), but you can usually find "faux" versions at beauty supply stores like Sallys for less than $20USD. The kind of brushes you find at the supermarket or drugstore (or even most salons, unless it's a really high-end swanky place) aren't going to cut the...err...oil so they're a waste of money. I mean, I love my plastic brush for blow-drying and styling my heavily-texturized hair but if I haven't washed my hair for a few days and my scalp is all itchy and greasy, I reach for my fake-MP brush to give my hair and scalp a vigorous "massage" before I jump in the shower.

The thing to remember is that these MP-type brushes are an investment and will last a lifetime if you care for them properly. Here's a few links to the type of brushes I'm talking about:

The real deal - Mason Pearson brush:

And here are the more affordable MP-clones from Sallys Beauty:
> http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1740/735025
> http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1740/896391
> http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1740/590007
> http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1730/152901

One thing I forgot to mention before about the benefits of ACV is that it also helps with the maddening scalp itch that usually accompanies skipping a good, thorough shampoo for a few days and that's almost as important as walking around with a greasy-scalp itself because you don't want to go around scratching at your head like a dog with the mange, right?!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
I thought of a couple more things that might help you….

I can’t recall if this one has already been covered, but forgive me if it’s a repeat: don’t use any styling products (i.e.: hair sprays, gels, shine products, pomades, waxes, etc.) on the final day that you’re able to wash your hair because the products will weigh your hair down and make it get yucky even faster.

The only possible exception to this -- and I suggest you try it out in the days before you go -- would be to use one of those texture sprays that give you that “beach hair” look. You know how after you spend a day at the beach, if you take a dip in the ocean, when your hair dries afterwards, it’s full of body and waves (even short hair!), although it looks sorta “matte” in terms of not having any shine.

These products are basically a mix of water (or water-based ingredients) and some sea-salt, so it’s just like taking a dunk in the sea water. Of course, spending a lot of time at the beach can also be extremely drying to hair so I don’t recommend using these types of texture sprays on a regular basis unless you get one that has additional ingredients like algae extract and/or aloe vera juice (and/or similar botanicals) that help provide moisture to counter-act the dryness from the salt.

There are many different brands of this that you can try: I think John Frieda makes one in his “Sheer Blonde” hair range that you can find at drugstores/supermarkers for about $7USD and then a few of the salon-brands also have similar products., and I know that the “Beyond the Zone” hair care line (which are basically bargain-priced clones of BedHead products) available at Sallys Beauty also has one of those texture sprays for under five bucks, it's called BTZ "Super Sexy Wave Spray:" https://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/140/140107

I actually just bought one on impulse last week (I’ve tried the JF version previously and didn’t care for it much) at my salon on clearance from theNexxus Phyto Organics line called “Sea Swell Ocean Air Texture Mist” that I (surprisingly!) really like -- it’s great for giving (1-2-) day-old hair a bit of volume and texture when I went to pull it back with one of those hip scarf-type headbands. One of the reasons I liked the Phyto Organic version more than the others that I’ve tried is because the ingredients are really lovely!

Having said that, it would probably be pretty easy to create a DIY version of it by mixing aloe juice, algae extract and a bit of sea-salt with maybe a bit of honey and/or ACV but I haven’t gotten in my lab yet to come up with an exact recipe (though I def *will* once I use up the last of my Sea Swell spray!) so I can’t give you any specifics.

Anyway, why don’t you check out one of those beachy texture sprays and play around with one of them before you leave to see if they’ll work for you. Perhaps you could alternate using the “sea spray” with the H2O+ACV+corn starch mist every other day to help keep the greasies at bay (brushing your hair vigorously every night w/ one of those boar‘s bristles brushes, of course!).

Obviously, you’ll still need to play around with different hair styles (pony tails, messy up-dos, pigtails, French braids, corn-rows/dreads) and accessories (headbands, scarves, hats, do-rags), but if you use all of them together you might be able to rock some very funky hair while you’re away from your shower and shampoo bottle! Very Happy

ETA: I just discovered on MUA that the John Frieda Sheer Blonde Ocean Waves Sea Spray product has been discontinued, but a member listed some possible replacement products:

> John Frieda Brunette Starlit Waves product (supposedly has less wave-holding ability then the Ocean Waves);
> Aquage Sea Salt Texturizing Spray;
> Avon's Mark Instant Vacation Greek Isles Sea Salt Spray;
> Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray;

BTW, this month (August) Sallys has buy 2, get 1 free special on Beyond the Zone products!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks carekate for all the wonderful suggestions! I've tried the Bumble and bumble surf spray a few years ago, but it just made my hair extra 'gunky' and oily looking. The other day I got my hair cut and the stylist used a shine spray which I was concerned about (i usually never use anything in my hair) but my hair didn't look oily even by the next morning, so I've bought some to try out the next few days.
Has anyone tried the 'No rinse shampoo' before? http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1110/635006
Just wondering how greasy it'd be and what the potential residue build-up would be like.

I've tried looking for dry shampoos at a few salons, but none of them carry it. i've found a few of those beauty supply outlets, so will do that once the long weekend is over!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:32 pm      Reply with quote
HannaLee wrote:
Has anyone tried the 'No rinse shampoo' before? http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1110/635006
No, but it looks VERY interesting! I wish Sallys posted ingredient lists on the website so I could take a look and see what's in it.

BTW, I just checked the ingredient lists for that new John Frieda Brunette Starlit Waves spray and I do NOT recommend it for your circumstances. It contains a bunch of polymers and shine enhancers (including dimethicone) which would weigh the hair down and make it flat and prone to looking oily -- definitely NOT the effect you're after! The more I check out the various ingredients of those beach wave sprays, the more I'm liking the Phyto Organics Sea Swell mist....

ETA:
HannaLee wrote:
The other day I got my hair cut and the stylist used a shine spray which I was concerned about (i usually never use anything in my hair) but my hair didn't look oily even by the next morning, so I've bought some to try out the next few days.
Please God, tell me it wasn't Biosilk Silk Therapy! Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:43 am      Reply with quote
About the MP brushes, I bought a couple from Sally's on Carekate's recommendation and enjoyed then until I "inherited" a real one and I have to say hands-down, the imitation pales in comparison. So, I'd say if you can afford one/buy one on ebay etc, get one. As carekate said, it's an investment. I know people who've had theirs for 5 years.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
...I have to say hands-down, the imitation pales in comparison
*CareKate trots off to check MP deals on Ebay* There's no way I'm paying a $150 (MSRP) for a haribrush, but if I can find one for between $50-$75 then how can I resist an endorsement like that?! Very Happy

You know, speaking of expensive hair brushes, I got this faux MP brush from Sephora (it was their own brand) for about $40 b/c I wanted to see if it was any better than the Sallys MP-facsmilies, and I nearly DIED when I came home one day and found my son brushing one of our long-haired cats with it! The cat LOVED it (actually, it's still "his" hairbrush to this day), but I was NOT amused....

I finally bit the bullet and bought a fancy $200 ionic/tourmaline Babyliss hair dryer on Ebay (got it for sixty bucks!) and the difference in my hair since I've been using it as unbelievable so I guess it's time for me to also invest in a "real" Mason Pearson brush after all these years. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry for continuing the hijack, but now these gals have me REALLY curious.

1) If you get an MP on Ebay, how can you be sure it's authentic? Do you guys just trust sellers with a good rep?

2) Carrie, I think we have similar hair texture, so I'd be really curious to know what specific differences you notice with a special hair dryer. I never even really owned one, haha, I inherited my mom's crappy travel one so I used that for a while (since I only blow-dried my hair once in a blue moon), and then my boyfriend's ex-girlfriend had left her really nice Sharper Image ionic one at his place after they broke up, and I kept it once I became a regular fixture. Bad Grin But I don't know if it's a "special" one.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
And by the way, I answered my own eBay question - and I just ordered a brush for $62 including s/h (I could've done cheaper, most likely, but I'm leaving town soon so I wanted the "Buy it now" option to be sure). Worth it to me, THANK YOU for the tip!

carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
2) Carrie, I think we have similar hair texture, so I'd be really curious to know what specific differences you notice with a special hair dryer. I never even really owned one, haha, I inherited my mom's crappy travel one so I used that for a while (since I only blow-dried my hair once in a blue moon), and then my boyfriend's ex-girlfriend had left her really nice Sharper Image ionic one at his place after they broke up, and I kept it once I became a regular fixture. Bad Grin But I don't know if it's a "special" one.

I was skeptical at first about spending that kind of money on a hair dryer -- I truly thought it was some Hollywood gimmick to separate gullible women from their hard-earned money like most of the other beauty “wonders” that movie stars, models and celebu-tards swear by, but now I’m a believer! It wasn’t until I tested my pricey new dryer in a head-to-head test with my good old-fashioned hair dryer that I was truly able to appreciate the difference.

If you use a traditional hair dryer to dry one side of your head and a ionic hair dryer to dry the other side, you’ll immediately see the difference. The ionic-side dried much quicker and the hair is softer, shinier and smoother while the other side is dry, frizzy and frazzled looking. Until you’ve used one of these dryers for yourself, you can’t truly appreciate the difference it will make in the health of your hair.

Here’s a little bit about the technical mumbo-jumbo that explains how these dryers work:

Tourmaline is a natural source of negative ions and far-infrared heat. Negative ions are able to break apart water molecules on the hair, which results in faster drying time with less damage which helps eliminate frizz and close the hair cuticle to create smooth, shiny hair while far-infrared heat penetrates the hair cuticle to dry the hair shaft from within, resulting in faster drying time with less damage. In addition, negative ions collide with the positive ions on the hair to reduce static electricity and flyaways.

This is the seller (SavingWizCom) from which I ordered my Conair BabyLiss Pro TT Tourmaline Ionic 5000 hair dryer: http://stores.ebay.com/savingwizcom_Beauty-Tools_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ4893443QQftidZ2QQtZkm I used the “buy it now” option and paid about $70USD plus S&H for mine -- I ordered it on a Friday night and it was here on Monday morning!

Not only is the price great, but the hair dryer comes with a great little travel/train-carrying case to store it in. The BabyLiss Pro TT 5000 dryer is extremely light-weight and has three heat settings (hot, warm, cool) and two speeds (high, low) and a cool-shot button, along with a long power cord that has (so far) remained blissfully tangle-free.

I know you can find cheaper ionic hair dryers at Walmart or beauty supply stores and such from brands like Vidal Sasson or Conair (plain Conair, “BabyLiss“ is their professional line), but I don’t know if they are as effective so I’d check out the product reviews on MUA, Folica or Drugstore.com before I bought one.

Bottom line: if you usually rough-dry and let your hair dry naturally, then an ionic hair dryer isn’t a necessity, but if you have to heat-style your hair on a daily basis and you’ve got thick hair that is coarse and/or dense in texture and prone to frizziness, you need to invest in one of these tools!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Hm, this is fascinating! I rarely style my hair straight after blow-drying, and I generally only blow-dry with a diffuser to make mine go curly and not straight. But I am so curious now that I'm going to have to try doing half of my head with the ex-girlfriend's ionic dryer from Sharper Image (that's a tech-forward enough brand that it would actually work, I hope!) and the other half with my mom's crappy old travel Vidal Sassoon dryer. The bummer is that my diffuser attachment only fits on the crappy dryer - I wonder if my curls would be less frizzy if I got an ionic diffuser-capable dryer!? I may have to try this!

Also, Carrie, I have a question for you. Earlier you said:

carekate wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what's so bad about Biosilk? I mean, I know it has dimethicones and polymers like almost any similar serum, which can be bad news, but other than that is there some reason this stuff is bad? I use it on my wet hair the day before I plan to straighten it, and I sometimes also use a bit on my dry hair right before straightening. I feel like it gives more slip and shine and defrizzing, and it's a pain to wash out but that's nothing new for -cone infused products. Just curious to see what your $0.02 were since it sounded like you were warning against this - I can't tell if you were warning in general, or just for Hannah since she'll be in the wild (and Hannah I agree you should stay away from stuff like this while you have limited shower access!). Thanks!

carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
Also, Carrie, I have a question for you. Earlier you said:
carekate wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what's so bad about Biosilk?

Biosilk Silk Therapy is BAD NEWS because of the amount of alcohol it contains. I've posted warnings about it all over the forum trying to discourage people from using it:

carekate wrote:
nette wrote:
amylola,

You said you use Biosilk- I know I've read some terrible things about it here. You could do a search, but just off-hand, I remember carekate saying it really damaged her hair (think it was about blocking out moisture). Try to use something that will get that stuff out of your hair, because all the treatments won't work if Biosilk coats the hair and keeps the treatment from being absorbed.
HTH
nette
Nette took the words right out of my mouth! The second I read AmyLola's question and she said her hair looked bad if she didn't flat-iron it, the first thing that popped into my mind was, "What kind of shine and/or thermal protectant product are you using?"

I've given this hair lecture many times before, so my apologies to those that are reading it for the uptempth time:

carekate wrote:
Farouk BioSilk Silk Therapy is the absolute WORST thing you can use on your hair! I know, I know: it makes your hair look so shiny and gorgeous. Yeah, that’s how they sucker us in! This stuff will dry out your hair quicker than just about anything except maybe pouring straight rubbing alcohol on it.

I was suckered in by Silk Therapy for months until I ran out one day and this forced me to reevaluate the health of my hair and discovered – to my everlasting horror – that my hair was so frizzy and fried looking that I actually had to get it trimmed down to a super-short crop (think Halle Berry) in order to get it healthy again! Therefore, I beseech everyone to toss their bottle of overpriced Silk Therapy in the trash before you wreck your hair beyond redemption!

If you don't believe that it dries your hair out after long-term use, think about how your hair looks/feels if you DON'T apply the BioSilk. It's all frizzy and frazzled looking unless you apply it, right? That's cuz your hair is dehydrated and fried from the alcohol. It's like a dependency where you use it cuz you think it works great, then you HAVE to use it cuz your hair looks like crap without it and the more you use it, the more you're damaging your hair and so the cycle continues....

Get your bottle of Biosilk out and look out the list of ingredients: Silk Therapy is nothing more than a mixture of super-drying alcohols and silicones which coat the hair shaft and -- unless you use a clarifying shampoo on a regular basis -- prevent moisture and nourishment from entering the hair cuticle.

If you want the all the shine and defrizzing benefits of Silk Therapy without the damage, I highly recommend Paul Mitchell’s Super Skinny Serum. In fact, I wrote a review on this product a long while back: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4485&highlight=paul+mitchell

There are other shine/thermal protectants you can also try, but you should always check the ingredients before you buy to make sure that alcohol and silicones aren't among the first 3 ingredients on the list.

Until/unless you trash the Biosilk, nothing you try (coconut oil, mayonaise treatments, Biolage Conditioning Balm, etc.) is going to make any meaningful/long-term difference!

Last night I was fooling around, trying to come up with a DIY recipe for one of "surf spray" styling products that I talked about before, but my order of sea salt and magnesium sulfate hasn't arrived yet so basically my formula is bascially a leave-in conditioner at this point until I can add the salts, but I think I'm going to post the recipe as-is because it's actually a pretty fabulous thermal protectant! My hair is so shiny and full of body today but it doesn't look like I'm wearing any sort of product on my hair -- it just looks like healthy, "virgin" hair. I'm actually transcribing the recipe right now to post on my MUA notepad so I'll also post it hear when it's ready....

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Oooh, that sounds delish!

I can't believe I missed that about Biosilk - I'm such an OCD ingredients reader, but I think I glanced at the list and saw "normal silicone content" and my brain turned off. But it DOES have SD alcohol as the THIRD ingredient - booo! I'm tossing mine today.

And thanks for the Paul Mitchell recommendation - I'd heard that was a good one from other sources, but I have yet to try it. Now I may need to track it down tonight for my trip tomorrow! I can't be without a serum - that SO didn't used to be the case, but ever since I got a new cut and started straightening it more, I'm serum-addicted. I just have to be really good about how I treat my hair on its "off" days from silicone.

Sorry Hannah, for the mini-hijack, but thanks Carrie for the explanation!

HannaLee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
no problem! I find all this info quite useful as well Smile

I'm next to giving up on my search for dry shampoo! I've been to 10+ salons and a few beauty supply outlets but they all told me they no longer carry such products Rolling Eyes
I might have to just order it online...
Debster1000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
And by the way, I answered my own eBay question - and I just ordered a brush for $62 including s/h (I could've done cheaper, most likely, but I'm leaving town soon so I wanted the "Buy it now" option to be sure). Worth it to me, THANK YOU for the tip!

I just bought one from Ebay too!
I really needed a new hair brush anyways, but I didn't expect to pay $70 for one. I have really got to stop reading the forums for a while. I'm going to go broke Laughing
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Last night I was fooling around, trying to come up with a DIY recipe for one of "surf spray" styling products that I talked about before, but my order of sea salt and magnesium sulfate hasn't arrived yet so basically my formula is bascially a leave-in conditioner at this point until I can add the salts, but I think I'm going to post the recipe as-is because it's actually a pretty fabulous thermal protectant! My hair is so shiny and full of body today but it doesn't look like I'm wearing any sort of product on my hair -- it just looks like healthy, "virgin" hair. I'm actually transcribing the recipe right now to post on my MUA notepad so I'll also post it hear when it's ready....

It looks like the mods unlocked the DIY Recipes thread, so here's the link to the aforementioned "Surf Hair" and/or leave-in conditioner recipe: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&start=675

Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:19 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |