Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Vie Collection Mela White Radiance Brightening Essence (150 ml / 5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
DIY hair removal devices?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Sienna
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:21 am      Reply with quote
What have you found to be the most effective DIY electrolysis/facial hair removal devices to use at home?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:31 am      Reply with quote
I am currently using No!No! painless system. They have it on ebay and ship worldwide (you can also use it worldwide with an adapter). So far I am pleased.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
I like my Epicare. It's lo-tech, but it works. Essentially it's a spring with handles at each end that you twirl over your skin. The hairs get caught in the spaces b/t the spring coils and get pulled out at the roots as you move the Epicare. It's the same principle as threading and the Epi-lady. Not permanent, but the hair does get finer and softer the longer you do it. I haven't shaved or waxed (face or legs) in 15 years.
It sounds really painful, but it's not once you get used to it. It was only about $12 from their website. There is a thread about it here on the forum I believe.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
I love my Emjoi Optima!

It is not permanent, but I have been using a version of Emjoi for maybe 10 years, and the hair on my legs is now so ultra fine that I only use the Emjoi once every 2 to 4 weeks.

I think this is also fabulous for upper lip hair removal...no wax to remove your skin! But I have had an occasional ingrown hair there (maybe one a year).

And yes, I have tried this in EVERY place that you might possibly be considering. Wink It works everywhere!

Check out the reviews on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Emjoi-AP99-Optima-Epilator/dp/B00008K4UA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1209261349&sr=1-2

Quote:
Product Description

Amazon.com
This electric device plucks hair from legs, face, underarms, and bikini lines to give you smooth skin for up to six weeks. It operates at two speeds to deal with different hair types and removes hairs as short as .5 mm, so it can even be effective just one day after shaving. To minimize pain, the device uses tweezerlike disc sets to gently stretch the skin before plucking hairs at the root, and the head curves to fit the body. An interchangeable shaver and long-hair trimmer attachment is included for touch-ups. To complete the kit, Emjoi includes a carry case and loofah sponge. --Fred Brack

From the Manufacturer
The Emjoi Optima is a groundbreaking hair remover that is fast, comfortable, effective and long lasting. The Emjoi Optima uses a revolutionary tweezer disc system, with dual opposed heads.
Features:

- Contoured design helps keep the skin taut
- Pulling and discomfort are minimized
- Removes even the finest hair from the root
- Long lasting results—re-growth of hair is slower and finer
- 2 active surfaces make hair removal twice as fast
- Soft touch grip designed for ultimate comfort and control
- Includes a dual function, foil shaver with built in long hair trimmer
- Compact size and travel case makes it a great travel companion
- Plug in only; adapter included

Can be used anywhere on the legs, arms and bikini line. Its dual function shaver attachment is great for underarms and sensitive areas.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany,

I have an old epilator, a Braun, prolly 8-10 yrs old. I just had a look at the new ones...do you think that they have improved in any important way? My old one is fine for my legs...but does seem to miss a lot of hairs. Need to go over it again and again.

Also I now go "bare" down "there" Embarassed . I am currently waxing. I tried my epilator, and although it worked, I really broke out, and the skin got very irritated.

Just wondering if you think the newer models have any great selling points.

cheers

rebecca

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
snowqueen67 wrote:
Bethany,

I have an old epilator, a Braun, prolly 8-10 yrs old. I just had a look at the new ones...do you think that they have improved in any important way? My old one is fine for my legs...but does seem to miss a lot of hairs. Need to go over it again and again.

Rebecca, does yours have the old springs like the old EpiLady? If so, the 36 pairs of tweezers from hell are a great improvement!

However, I do have to do several passes in some areas on my legs in order to get some of the very, very fine hairs. But I am willing to do it, just because I appreciate that the Emjoi got me to that level of fineness to begin with!

As far as those "other" areas....I only did that twice and it was pretty darn successful. However, it did hurt a bit, so I did it over a couple of evenings. I think that if you did a "spot check" every few days, it would be totally tolerable on an onoing basis.

BTW, I recommend the same thing for the upper lip...doing it frequently catches a few hairs at a time, and keeps the sneezing to a minimum.

A couple more things...

- Emjoi makes a number of models that are better suited for different areas based on the width of the head. I would check them all out at http://emjoi.com/

- I am not a fan of the rechargable models...they run a bit slower, and speed is important in limiting the pain. The corded ones are faster AND cheaper!

- You should also keep some TendSkin on hand, and consider using a mild exfoliator on a regular basis to help with ingrowns.

HTH! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks bethany, no it does have the tweezer roller type thing, when I looked, they appeared to be similar...just a bit more flash now!

Yes, I think the little bit at a time, might be the way to go down there. Minimize irritation as well.

Thanks for the link, I am going to check it out now.

rebecca

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:15 am      Reply with quote
This is a thread from a while back. It has some good info on epilators:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=20467

I have the Braun Silk Epil (which I discuss in the thread above). It comes with several attachments, one is especially for the face. There's also a thread on the No No system so have a look for that.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:21 am      Reply with quote
Here's the NoNo thread:http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=26336

But apparently you can't use it on your face or genitals.
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:05 am      Reply with quote
Keliu Thanks...of course there had to be an epilator thread...I just never went looking for it!!!!

Just skimmed through it...and still confused about which one to get...I might just go with another Braun too!!

thanks

rebecca

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:21 am      Reply with quote
snowqueen67 wrote:
Keliu Thanks...of course there had to be an epilator thread...I just never went looking for it!!!!

Just skimmed through it...and still confused about which one to get...I might just go with another Braun too!!

thanks

rebecca

I'm more than happy with the Braun Silk Epil. From my research, it seems to be the best around. The various attachments are also good for different parts of the body. It also has a little light which shines on the skin and its quite useful for finding those rogue hairs.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 10:22 am      Reply with quote
I've been epilating for years, starting with the old coiled wire Epilady--now, talk about torture! I've long since graduated to the Braun Silk Epil for my underarms and legs. Surprisingly little pain once you get used to it. (But I'm too chicken to use it on my face...)

Mine doesn't have the little light--that sounds great. The only problem is, with my eyes getting more farsighted by the day, I need more than just a light to avoid missing hairs in the underarm area. I use a 10x mini mirror to check, which is fine for now, but if I get any more farsighted, I'm in trouble!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 10:56 am      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
Mine doesn't have the little light--that sounds great. The only problem is, with my eyes getting more farsighted by the day, I need more than just a light to avoid missing hairs in the underarm area. I use a 10x mini mirror to check, which is fine for now, but if I get any more farsighted, I'm in trouble!

I know exactly what you mean...I was tweezing my eyebrows the other day, and decided to flip it over to use the magnified side of the mirror since I was having trouble seeing things.

So I flipped the mirror, only to find that I had ALREADY been using the magnified side. Shock Shock Shock

Now I have to find a stronger magnifying mirror, sigh. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 11:04 am      Reply with quote
There's got to be a developing market for super-duper magnifying mirrors soon. At least, let's hope so!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 13, 2008 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
There's got to be a developing market for super-duper magnifying mirrors soon. At least, let's hope so!

Oh God NO! My 10x magnifying mirror sits next to my computer, and when I'm not looking at the screen I'm scrutinizing every pore on my face. They're already the size of craters - I can take no more! Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Mon May 13, 2024 4:10 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |