Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
coconut oil....best body moisturizer?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
daftpunkcyclist
5% products discount

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

What is the best moisturizer for your body that is natural/not chemically altered or manufactured.

Historically I like body shops hemp chanvre but if you look at the ingredients it has all kinds of gross chemicals.

So i was thinking coconut oil...I used to use it a while ago and can't remember how well it worked.

Any suggestions? Also is it true the more you moisturize your skin the drier it gets???

thanks All!
German_greeneyes
5% products discount

Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut oil is one of the best moisturizers out there! I picked up on a site here from another member...mercola dot com - type in body butter under search -all natural/organic product. He explains the benefits of using coconut oil. If that is any help??

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:20 am      Reply with quote
daftpunkcyclist wrote:
Also is it true the more you moisturize your skin the drier it gets???

thanks All!

this should answer your question:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31227
ok333
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:36 am      Reply with quote
I don't know about "best"... but I do keep a jar of virgin coconut oil from whole foods in my bathroom and use on my arms & legs after showering a few times a week. I like how it feels and love the smell. Might not be for everyone though.

I have read through the threads listed above regarding the use of moisturizers & also read info from other sources. I found them confusing & conflicting & my conclusion is that there is no clear consensus on the issue.

As with many things - I just am trusting my gut, using what I like in moderation & not worrying about it too much Wink
luyan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using jojoba oil and olive oil, both are very good

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
I have 3 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil every morning for the last 6 weeks and my skin is so moisturised that Haven't even put any moisturizer on for the last 2 weeks. Its suppose to help with sun damage as well and be good for weight loss but haven't seen any evidence of that yet Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
If you can take the texture of oil on your skin it's probably great. I get eeked out though with body oils usually. I bought one by Alba one time and I just didn't like the feeling of it. Left me with a weird filmy layer on my skin.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
I was using jojoba oil & loving it- it soaked right into my skin, & wasn't greasy like many creams I've used. However, after using it for several weeks I broke out in red itchy bumps on my arms & legs! I stopped using it & the bumps gradually went away. I'm still using it on my face w/no problems, but what could have caused this reaction & what can I replace it with? I read about macadamia oil, but where does one get that??
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:43 pm      Reply with quote
There's macademia oil in my local health foods shop. Maybe check out yours?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:20 am      Reply with quote
Coconut oil is great as a skin moisturizer. It not only brings temporary relief to the skin, but it aids healing and repairing. It helps to reduce chronic skin inflammation within days. It has lasting benefits and helps bringing back a youthful appearance.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:48 am      Reply with quote
Coconut oil has helped me greatly. You should try mixing in some olive oil too! It helped dry my cracked elbows eww
herama
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
I came across this thread looking for more info on macadamia oil. I want to chime in on the coconut oil as body moisturizer, though- last summer I started using virgin coconut oil for my my body, and after a while I got a very itchy, red rash on my upper legs. I thought it was because the oil wasn't moisturizing enough and so my skin was too dry.
However, I began using the coconut oil AGAIN several weeks ago, and within a few weeks got pimple-like bumps (like a rash but the bumps were bigger)on my upper legs, followed about a week or so later by that same red, horribly itchy rash I got last year.
The person who posted above about a reaction to jojoba described the same type of rash I got with coconut oil.
Anyway, I did a google search and it's apparently quite rare to have a sensitivity to coconut oil, but it is possible. Last night I was desperate for some moisture on my hands and thought it would not be a problem to use a bit of the coconut on my hands and lower arms. I woke in the middle of the night with itchy arms and hands! Weird.
Anyway, just my 2 cents. Seems like coconut oil is the latest miracle cure, but it sure isn't mine!
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
herama wrote:
I came across this thread looking for more info on macadamia oil. I want to chime in on the coconut oil as body moisturizer, though- last summer I started using virgin coconut oil for my my body, and after a while I got a very itchy, red rash on my upper legs. I thought it was because the oil wasn't moisturizing enough and so my skin was too dry.
However, I began using the coconut oil AGAIN several weeks ago, and within a few weeks got pimple-like bumps (like a rash but the bumps were bigger)on my upper legs, followed about a week or so later by that same red, horribly itchy rash I got last year.
The person who posted above about a reaction to jojoba described the same type of rash I got with coconut oil.
Anyway, I did a google search and it's apparently quite rare to have a sensitivity to coconut oil, but it is possible. Last night I was desperate for some moisture on my hands and thought it would not be a problem to use a bit of the coconut on my hands and lower arms. I woke in the middle of the night with itchy arms and hands! Weird.
Anyway, just my 2 cents. Seems like coconut oil is the latest miracle cure, but it sure isn't mine!

Yeah that's why you can never 100% trust people's reviews on certain things because there is always a chance that it won't work for you no matter how good it has claimed to be.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:00 am      Reply with quote
Yeah, coconut oil did not work for me either. For me, it make my skin very slightly drier than normal. Just my personal experience, so yes, we all have different experiences.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
I have a question. Can coconut oil and macadamia nut oil leave a greasy film on your skin? If you put on a blouse, you don't have to worry that your blouse look greasy?
Or, do you have to wait a certain length of time before you put on your clothes?

I've tried dry oil and loved the one from Nuxe with shimmer. But if you use it frequently, it does dry out your skin. At least for me, that is my review.

I have a few more questions. Neutrogena has this body oil that you apply on wet skin. Is that one good?

I thought this new line called CeraVe is popular because it has ingredients that is known to attract moisture and to retain moister. Am I right?
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
I have a question. Can coconut oil and macadamia nut oil leave a greasy film on your skin? If you put on a blouse, you don't have to worry that your blouse look greasy?
Or, do you have to wait a certain length of time before you put on your clothes?

I've tried dry oil and loved the one from Nuxe with shimmer. But if you use it frequently, it does dry out your skin. At least for me, that is my review.

I have a few more questions. Neutrogena has this body oil that you apply on wet skin. Is that one good?

I thought this new line called CeraVe is popular because it has ingredients that is known to attract moisture and to retain moister. Am I right?

I don't find that the coconut oil leaves a film unless you put way more than is necessary. It absorbs pretty well but you should still wait 1-2 minutes before putting your clothes on because it does take a while to absorb. But even if you do put clothes on immediately, it's not gonna leave an oil stain unless, again, if you put way too much on.

I'm not too sure what's in this new Neutrogena product, but I'm guessing it has a lot more fillers than beneficial ingredients, so I'd stick to mainly oils for the body.

CeraVe is a good option because it does have very good ingredients like niacinamide and several antioxidants. I'm not sure what kind of water-binding agents/emollients it has (if you can post the ingredients list, I can check it for you), but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Definitely something to try.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
I think that I am too busy to get ready for work, that I can't use oil. I would have to get up earlier to get ready for work and I do a lot every morning. Mainly it is the hair styling that can take time and I try to make time to cook breakfast and it is hard to eat it so early in the morning.

I forgot that CeraVe has niacinamide. I use vitamin C serum, so I have to make sure I wait between applications.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
I honestly don't think it would be a problem unless you're dipping your body parts into a tub of coconut oil Laughing It absorbs pretty well as long as you're using it sparingly. You should give it a try - it's definitely something that would be beneficial. And if not you can always cook with it because it's healthy when ingested too
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
I honestly don't think it would be a problem unless you're dipping your body parts into a tub of coconut oil Laughing It absorbs pretty well as long as you're using it sparingly. You should give it a try - it's definitely something that would be beneficial. And if not you can always cook with it because it's healthy when ingested too

I usually use coconut oil when cooking seafood and I've discovered coconut water (without added sugar) and drink that daily.

I'll have to give coconut oil a try on my body and hope that sunscreen won't rub off.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
I use this mainly in the summer
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/ahava-dry-oil-body-mist-p_13550.htm
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut oils actually makes me break out. I still use it on my hair though, it really is a fantastic moisturizer. For desperately dry skin though (hello retin a users), I find myself turning to hemp oil more and more.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:41 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
Yeah, coconut oil did not work for me either. For me, it make my skin very slightly drier than normal. Just my personal experience, so yes, we all have different experiences.

Ah ha! Thank you! I told someone that coconut oil seemed to make my skin drier and I got the sense they thought I was full of it!
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:01 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
oasisjc wrote:

I usually use coconut oil when cooking seafood and I've discovered coconut water (without added sugar) and drink that daily.

I'll have to give coconut oil a try on my body and hope that sunscreen won't rub off.

You could always just put it on at night
Skyla
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
herama wrote:

Yeah that's why you can never 100% trust people's reviews on certain things because there is always a chance that it won't work for you no matter how good it has claimed to be.

True; I bought it for my hair, have been reading about it to take for health benefits, and I did eat some on crackers; however, I broke out in an itchy rash---I will wait awhile and then try it as a topical. Love the way it smells and tastes. But it is clear, I am sensitive to it.

5% products discount

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
I'm using unrefined Organic Virgin Coconut Oil as body moisturizer, almost 4 month and so far love it! Soft and smooth on skin. And I heard coconut oil had a natural antioxidants, which is great to prevent wrinkles and lose of elasticity.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |