Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Should I start to use age-defying or anti-wrinkle products?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mymisty

Fri May 01, 2009 9:47 am      Reply with quote
I am 28. Should I begin to use age-defying or anti-wrinkle products. As I have heard that once that your pores in face has changed from round to oval, that means you need to fight against aging. My pores are not so obviously now, but I do have some small wrinkles under my left eye. Looking forward to every one's advice and your recommendations.
hkr888
5% products discount

Fri May 01, 2009 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
I think it's ok to start now. Until very recently I thought those products are for older women but a friend of mine told me that it's best to start now, when there are only fine lines. So I've been checking out this forum to see which products I should invest my skin (and money!) on, lol!

I don't know about the pore size, basically pores can grow bigger than the size that you were born with, but they won't grow smaller.
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 01, 2009 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 27 and I use Vit. C and alternate between Retin-A and Tazorac. I also do Ageless if you Dare facial exercises. I'm determined to beat the heck out of any signs of aging before they take permanent residence on my face.

So no, I don't think you're too young.

5% products discount

Fri May 01, 2009 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 27 and I don't think it's too soon to start now. I use Caudalie's anti-aging products. I haven't seen any wrinkles yet, but I also haven't had the problem that my skin feels loose like some of my girlfriends have.
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 01, 2009 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Don't try too hard ladies. There hasn't been any proof that anti-aging actually stops or slows down appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.

Most are usually formed due to lack of moisture in your skin.
And there are some studies that indicate that too much of acidic vitamins on your face will get to you.

I am 30, and I don't use any antiaging creams/lotions/potions. I avoid using crappy makeup, I use mineral certified organic powder foundation when I need to, otherwise I am bare skinned. I use rose water and sometimes lavender/chamomile waters to wash my face with, and Dr. H day cream to provide the moisture it needs.

I do not believe that anti aging will actually work, except perhaps for rare research products that may be happening now (but without long term effects study you can't really know), and think that it may be getting you the opposite actually - you may get the 'glow' now, but you may get old looking skin after a period of use... So be careful, research the product and ingredients, and most importantly do a good assessment of your skin - condition, type and what's causing the current issue. Perhaps it's lack of vitamins - which one, perhaps it's the way you sleep? ie. face on the pillow. Perhaps you consume alcohol or some other products that causing your face to look like this.
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 01, 2009 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
Don't try too hard ladies. There hasn't been any proof that anti-aging actually stops or slows down appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.

Most are usually formed due to lack of moisture in your skin.
And there are some studies that indicate that too much of acidic vitamins on your face will get to you.

I am 30, and I don't use any antiaging creams/lotions/potions. I avoid using crappy makeup, I use mineral certified organic powder foundation when I need to, otherwise I am bare skinned. I use rose water and sometimes lavender/chamomile waters to wash my face with, and Dr. H day cream to provide the moisture it needs.

I do not believe that anti aging will actually work, except perhaps for rare research products that may be happening now (but without long term effects study you can't really know), and think that it may be getting you the opposite actually - you may get the 'glow' now, but you may get old looking skin after a period of use... So be careful, research the product and ingredients, and most importantly do a good assessment of your skin - condition, type and what's causing the current issue. Perhaps it's lack of vitamins - which one, perhaps it's the way you sleep? ie. face on the pillow. Perhaps you consume alcohol or some other products that causing your face to look like this.

I don't think that's really the case with Retin-A and Vit. C. Both are scientifically proven to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and other age-related factors and Vit. C is full of benefits for people of any age. IMO you can't go wrong using these for preventative purposes and unless you go overboard with the Retin-A applications you're not going to cause any damage whatsoever.

Adding these topicals to my routine has done wonders for my skin. My skin is much more moisturized now, to the point where I don't really need a moisturizer other than my sunscreen. It has reduced and eliminated age spots and fine lines appearing around my mouth and eyes and I have 100% faith that I'm doing the absolute best things possible for my skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 01, 2009 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
It's too bad I don't have the link to the other thread that was discussing having vit C on a regular use cream....

Thank you for that info - I will do some research on RetinA and Vit C - what brands do you use? or recommend?
P Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 01, 2009 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
I DIY my own Vit. C made with l-ascorbic acid--recipe found here on the DIY section. I've also used PCA's 15% Vit. C.

And I alternate between Retin-A and Tazorac fromwww.alldaychemist.com every 2 days.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 02, 2009 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
I think 28 is too young to start using anti-aging. You're not considered aging yet. If you start now, what will you use when you get to the point of needing anti-aging stuff?
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 02, 2009 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
I personally think when it comes to aging just as anything else... PREVENTION is Key... I'd rather prevent a mess than clean it up...

But it's not just about what cream to use.

Do all that you can for your supreme health (and save a buck or 2 on medical in the years to come.)

A clean diet without processed food. Hydration, exercise for the WHOLE body, good mental health is key too. Minimize sun exposure. Minimize/eliminate toxin exposure... alcohol, drugs, smoking.

You don't need an extreme regime. But you should use quality products that don't degrade skin. Don't worry about getting used to a product so that it won't work later.. Have it work NOW... so you don't need it so bad later.

Good luck!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 02, 2009 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:
I think 28 is too young to start using anti-aging. You're not considered aging yet. If you start now, what will you use when you get to the point of needing anti-aging stuff?

IMO, you're aging from the moment you're born so 20s is a perfect age to start more aggressive preventative measures. I don't think using it at an early age means you're immune to the benefits later in life.

Sun May 03, 2009 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply. Well, I think it is not necessary for me to start use the 'strong' anti-aging products, but sometimes I am worried that only moisture is not enough for me. Confused....
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 03, 2009 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
P Girl wrote:
Natalyn wrote:

IMO, you're aging from the moment you're born so 20s is a perfect age to start more aggressive preventative measures. I don't think using it at an early age means you're immune to the benefits later in life.

I respectfully disagree. I do not consider an infant to have aging skin. Laughing I think you can use preventative measures without resorting to drastic ones.

I just posted a thread about a friend who just turned 40 and wanted to start using the Deep Wrinkle Repair cream. The problem is she does not have any wrinkle to repair. I got some great advice there. I'll post a link to that thread as soon as I find it. I think it sort of relates to this thread.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 03, 2009 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
mymisty wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Well, I think it is not necessary for me to start use the 'strong' anti-aging products, but sometimes I am worried that only moisture is not enough for me. Confused....

I can understand your confusion. I have been there. I think you have to assess specific problems and areas of concern and address them individually.

Do you see lines forming somewhere? Is your skin well hydrated? Are there a lot of pimples? How are your pores? Etc. Then look for products that address these problems. Moisturizer is good, but it only keeps skin hydrated if it works well. Some moisturizers don't work. You should first and foremost use a good sunblock and keep your face hidden from the UV rays as much as possible. I have seen the effect of sun on a friend who loves to let the sun shine on her face. She said it got rid of her acne, but she got these lines running north and south down her face. They look like lines on beef jerky. I don't think that's a very healthy look.
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 03, 2009 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Mymisty, here's the thread I promised to post a link that discusses sort of a similar issue. Kassy posted a really good advice.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=33778
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 11:29 am      Reply with quote
I don't think 28 is too young to start caring for you skin in an anti-aging manner, I wish I would have started that young... As noted before, prevention is the key here at this age. Sunblock, sunblock, sunblock!!! Cannot stress that enough!! I am fortunate enough to not have been a sunbather in my youth altough I did not use sunscreen. Luckily at 38, I don't have wrinkles although I do see slight damage from my years of smoking/sun (a few superfine lines and a bit of sag). Luckily in that as well, it is not severe and not too late for me so I quit and started taking proper measures to save my skin. I still get told I look about 25 (have to laugh at that one as that means I would have had my oldest child at the tender age of 7..lol...but appreciate it just the same)......nothing wrong in my opinion with starting retin-a in your late 20's (derms all say that all 30 on up should be using it!) and it has many years of usage to prove it works in the long run. That is, if your skin can tolerate it. A healthy diet/exercise is of utmost importance too....it feeds your skin from the inside out and in my opinion if your diet/lifestyle sucks, no amount of topical skincare in the world is gonna save it! Very Happy

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
nasp

Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there,

I was about to post a similar question myself. I am 29 and currently thinking on starting a skin care regime. I have read lots about the benefits of retinoic based products, Vitamin C based serums and copper peptides.

A few things worry me however.

1) Do products such as Retin A have any side effects or negative effects when stopped, after being used for a long time? Does the skin return to its original condition before the time Retin A treatment started or maybe becomes worse? I've read that once you start, you are in for good. Does anybody have any experiences to share?

2) For treating fine lines, would you recommend Retin A 0.025, Tazorac 0.05 or Retin Micro, or Renova 0.05, as a first time retin user with oily skin?

I would really appreciate any advice from experienced users.

Thanks

Nas
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
^^^^Yes definitely start with a retinoid. I waited till I was 40 & have some major regrets. Go with the lowest percentage of Retinoids-a & alternate it with a retinaldehyde product like Avene Retrinal. The retinaldehyde won't work your skin over as much as Retin-a but converts directly to it.....it is not as irritating but definitely does firm skin I've found.

Do a good low glycemic diet with plenty of protein. Drink lots of water & exercise. Take vitamin C, MSM & fish oil.

Avoid sunlight when you can & use a zinc based sunscreen. A lot of people like Devita.

Copper peptides are trickier......I suggest you read about them on here and online before jumping in. I use them, but am 40 with a ton if sun damage.

This website might help you---
http://www.skinacea.com
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |