Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
NASO LABIAL NASOLABIAL (?) FOLDS
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
RickR

Wed May 05, 2010 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hello

I was wondering if it is just me or does the sagging around the nasolabial folds looks more prominent from a distance or with certain types of lighting? Same thing with bags and dark circles under eyes.

It seems like direct lighting (like in front of a sink mirror) is very misleading - and so are photos taken with a flash - everything looks nice and smooth - no folds, no bags under eyes.

And then, you look at yourself in a mirror from a distance at a supermarket or a gym or a store window or something, you go "is that me??" The folds and the bags suddenly seem more pronounced from a distance.

Pictures with a flash - look good. And so do pictures taken without a flash in very bright light - like sunlight. However, when the Flash is turned off (while the lighting is artificial but still good), the picture comes out bright enough and the nasolabial folds and the bags and dark circles look more pronounced.

I am wondering - maybe it is normal for people of all ages to have such folds? I haven't stared at people and I am not sure what is normal when it comes to nasolabial folds...
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
I've noticed the same Very Happy My skin looks much smoother in front of my bath mirror than when I look at myself in a shopping mall mirror ...
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
RickR wrote:
I am wondering - maybe it is normal for people of all ages to have such folds? I haven't stared at people and I am not sure what is normal when it comes to nasolabial folds...

It is far more common in people who are showing the signs of aging...their bone and skin structure is changing and things start "sliding" more toward the center of their face. There are nasiolabial lines, marionette lines, etc.

Read up on facial exercising to learn about why it happens, and how to correct it. I no longer get filler in my MLs because of facial exercise, though I personally use the Safetox instead of an exercise program (though I have several of those too).

There a lot of facial exercise threads on the Tools subforum, such as FlexEffect, Ageless, Carol Maggio, etc.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 05, 2010 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
I have noticed this too, I'm glad I'm not the only one! Very Happy
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 06, 2010 3:44 am      Reply with quote
I know my mother and her mother had them so I didn't really give them a second thought - I just knew I would get them.... and it didn't bother me. I'm happy to report though that after doing FlexEffect's 3rd edition for me I'm seeing major changes which is not something I was either expecting or trying to influence. I'm also 60 this year, so am a happy bunny!!! Very Happy
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 06, 2010 5:26 am      Reply with quote
Overhead lighting is the worst, it shows up every flaw. Lighting from behind is most flattering.
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 06, 2010 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Dee28 wrote:
Overhead lighting is the worst, it shows up every flaw. Lighting from behind is most flattering.

Agree, because overhead lighting casts a downward shadow under the sags/folds etc. Lighting from under your face or directly in front is much more flattering. This is why when taking pictures, sometimes the photographer asks you to tilt your face upwards a little.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 06, 2010 10:48 am      Reply with quote
I am planning a permanent solution to this problem - a cheeklift.

BF
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 06, 2010 11:03 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I am planning a permanent solution to this problem - a cheeklift.

BF

What exactly is a "cheek lift?" Are you going to use fillers or is this a surgical procedure?

Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 07, 2010 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
RickR wrote:
Hello

I was wondering if it is just me or does the sagging around the nasolabial folds looks more prominent from a distance or with certain types of lighting? Same thing with bags and dark circles under eyes.

It seems like direct lighting (like in front of a sink mirror) is very misleading - and so are photos taken with a flash - everything looks nice and smooth - no folds, no bags under eyes.

And then, you look at yourself in a mirror from a distance at a supermarket or a gym or a store window or something, you go "is that me??" The folds and the bags suddenly seem more pronounced from a distance.

Pictures with a flash - look good. And so do pictures taken without a flash in very bright light - like sunlight. However, when the Flash is turned off (while the lighting is artificial but still good), the picture comes out bright enough and the nasolabial folds and the bags and dark circles look more pronounced.

my 2 cents is that as you age, your skin sags over the NL folds, and your eyes are more sunken, so when there's light on your face, no shadow is created, and you don't see the sagging or drooping of skin. When you're looking from afar or dimmed light though, the sagging and drooping skin creates shadow which then makes everything look terrible.
havana8

Sat May 08, 2010 3:36 am      Reply with quote
The Safetox & Nasolabial Fold discussion has been moved to its own thread. If you would like to follow the discussion, this topic now sits here: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=38262
alexes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 09, 2010 10:13 am      Reply with quote
A pox on fluorescent over head lighting everywhere! I hate going in to the drug store because the mirrors in there make me look ten years older and like I have become a zombie. I hate having to wonder about lighting in different locations - makes me feel like a stage manager...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 09, 2010 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
alexes wrote:
A pox on fluorescent over head lighting everywhere! I hate going in to the drug store because the mirrors in there make me look ten years older and like I have become a zombie. I hate having to wonder about lighting in different locations - makes me feel like a stage manager...

The worst lighting is in hairdressing salons - this has been discussed before on other threads, I think I even started a thread on it. But why they don't have flattering lighting I've no idea. I stopped going to the hairdressers simply because it was too depressing sitting there looking at myself! They should have a bank of lighting around the mirrors - similar to the lighting that actors have when they apply their makeup.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 10, 2010 9:36 am      Reply with quote
I totally agree about the lighting at my hair-dressers as well!!

They have the walls painted an awful grey-black, than bright flourescent lights high up, it is brutal!! Very Happy
alexes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 10, 2010 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
That is so true Keliu and lipglossdoll! I keep putting off going to the hairdresser even though I have the cash on hand - my hair is down my back and really needs a trim, but I hate how I feel while I am there. It is awful - why make customers feel worse? To sell products to desperate customers?
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 10, 2010 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
has anyone ever noticed that the lighting in the dressing room at most department stores is really bad and the mirrors are worse? The mirrors make me look fatter than normal (seriously!) and the lighting makes me look 19 yrs older.
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 10, 2010 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
I cannot tell you how grateful I am that I am horribly nearsighted. I always wear my glasses instead of my contact lenses when I'm getting my hair cut, and I take them off as soon as I sit down. Instead of having to stare at every mote of unbeauty, I gaze at a soft blur. At the end the stylist hands me a mirror so I can get the full view and I agree the back looks terrific. (What the heck...it's too late by that point anyway.) My husband had laser surgery last year and his vision is perfect, poor fellow. The older I get, the more I appreciate being half-blind.

P.S. Same technique works for clothes shopping. I simply don't understand why stores, even the high-end ones, put such unflattering lighting in their dressing rooms.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 10, 2010 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
hermosa, i wonder the same thing! I thought that dressing room would have a mirror that makes you look slender, so every clothes you try on will look nice on you, and you'd want to buy them all. I have put away many clothes I tried on because they looked fat on me. At my own home, I have two mirrors that make me look fat. Thank god I have one that doesn't do that, so I can check to see how I look without wanting to cry every time.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 11, 2010 8:43 am      Reply with quote
true story: I have noticed the differences between mirrors and lighting effects, etc.

that said - the worst I ever experienced was in a consult with a local, well known PS.

He handed me a hand mirror. I took one look in it and nearly threw it on the floor! Never have I seen so many wrinkles and flaws and so much sagging.

Call me crazy, but I swear it was a mirror designed to make you run toward procedures.

I got home, checked out 3 mirrors I own - no issues.

Like I said, call me crazy...

BF
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |