Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Avene sunscreen and free radicals
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
croeber
5% products discount

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Greetings,

This post is from someone who is extremely pale complected and have been using Avene 50+ spf spray for over a year. I was happy with the UVA and UVB protection that it offered. However, it's not realistic for me to reapply my sunscreen and makeup during the day while at work. I go back and forth between several buildings, so I'm not just indoors at a desk all day. From what I've read, I guess this means I should be using a physical block. I believe the Avene spray I'm using is half physical, half chemical. But I've noticed that the new formula of Avene advertises "Pre-Tocopheryl Anti-Free Radical protection. Perfect for extreme exposure or for those suffering with sun sensitivity or hyperpigmentation problems"
So I wonder if this is effective in preventing the development of free radicals on the face? If it isn't, could you make some recommendations for a phyisical block to try? My understanding is that the Avene sunblocks in the white tubes are physical blocks..may need to give that a try. Have dry skin, I'm very pale and have hyperpigmentation problems.

Thanks so much! So much to consider with sun protection...

Cari
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:45 am      Reply with quote
croeber wrote:
Greetings,

This post is from someone who is extremely pale complected and have been using Avene 50+ spf spray for over a year. I was happy with the UVA and UVB protection that it offered. However, it's not realistic for me to reapply my sunscreen and makeup during the day while at work. I go back and forth between several buildings, so I'm not just indoors at a desk all day. From what I've read, I guess this means I should be using a physical block. I believe the Avene spray I'm using is half physical, half chemical. But I've noticed that the new formula of Avene advertises "Pre-Tocopheryl Anti-Free Radical protection. Perfect for extreme exposure or for those suffering with sun sensitivity or hyperpigmentation problems"
So I wonder if this is effective in preventing the development of free radicals on the face? If it isn't, could you make some recommendations for a phyisical block to try? My understanding is that the Avene sunblocks in the white tubes are physical blocks..may need to give that a try. Have dry skin, I'm very pale and have hyperpigmentation problems.

Thanks so much! So much to consider with sun protection...

Cari

Dear Cari,

There is an article I posted awhile ago called "stumbling blocks". This article pertains to your question about Chemical sunscreens.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=32443

Avene is stating anti free radical protection since they added Vitamin E as an antioxidant. When you use a Chemical sunscreen with added antioxidants it's supposed to help with free radical protection. If you read the article above you'll read that Chemical sunscreens have been shown to create free radicals on their own. I stick to physical sunscreens.

If your looking for a good physical sunscreen here are some links:

I have not used burnout sunscreen but a few members on here use it and give high praise!

http://www.burnoutsun.com/

This is a link to Elta MD Physical sunscreen.

http://www.dermstore.com/product_UV+Physical+SPF+41_11541.htm

You can use this product on your face as well
Devita Body Block SPF 30

http://www.devita.net/products
/ProductView.mgi2?mgiToken=QVW6LTV227HG1IM&ID=DBB

Since you walk between building I would suggest wearing sunglasses and a hat for added protection. If you don't like the hat idea you could try an umbrella!

I hope this helps!
croeber
5% products discount

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting that again...there's so much information out there. I definitely wear the big sunglasses when I go outdoors during the day. And thanks for posting the links to products. With the Avene, it was easy to figure out the UVA protection because I had found a website that offered the PPD rating for the sunscreens they sold. But what about purely physical sunscreens? Do you need to make sure it has a certain percentage of zinc oxide? I always go for the high spf, but I'm also extremely prone to hyperpigmentation and want to make sure i'm covered there too.
Thanks!

Cari
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
croeber wrote:
Thanks for posting that again...there's so much information out there. I definitely wear the big sunglasses when I go outdoors during the day. And thanks for posting the links to products. With the Avene, it was easy to figure out the UVA protection because I had found a website that offered the PPD rating for the sunscreens they sold. But what about purely physical sunscreens? Do you need to make sure it has a certain percentage of zinc oxide? I always go for the high spf, but I'm also extremely prone to hyperpigmentation and want to make sure i'm covered there too.
Thanks!

Cari

I have the Avene "only physical" sunscreen and it has worked well on me. It does leave you a bit white but if you're like me (whiiiiite) then it doesn't show much. I do use it often as my day-to-day sunscreen and it has worked well for me. I have used it sometimes when I needed some "extra" protection (e.g. snowboarding in spring) and then it was not that great Sad

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:09 am      Reply with quote
croeber wrote:
Thanks!

Cari

Hey no problem. I went nuts studying sunscreens! For awhile I was obsessed with PPD now I don't worry about it. As for the percentages go I'm not really sure if there is a recommend number. When choosing a sunscreen I always make sure there is a higher percent of Zinc Oxide than Titanium. The sunscreens I have contain 18% Zinc oxide.

Burnout sunscreen have 18% Zinc, I'm going to purchase one of their versions when I run out of my current sunscreen.

http://www.burnoutsun.com/

You probably already know this but always apply 1/4 teaspoon to your face. I've heard 1/2 teaspoon but I only see that amount necessary if your going to be at the beach.

I hope this helps!
croeber
5% products discount

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
So I have now been on the hunt for a physical sunblock. I assume that I may have to end up ordering it....but
I was just at Whole Foods, and while I couldn't find Devita or Burnout sunblocks at the store, I did come across 2 physical sunscreens. Badger and Jason, both had fairly high concentrations of zinc oxide. Neither tube specifically said "to be used on the face". Just wondering if anyone had tried either of these? causing clogged pores and breakouts would be a concern.

Cari
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
Are there concerns over micronized Zinc Oxide? I would like to try the Devita (I'm switching from chemicals to physical).

Curent Regime: Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic and Phloretin/ Revale Intensive Serum / NIA 24 Intensive Recovery Complex cream / Jojoba and Squalane oils / Avene Emulsion SPF 50 & Prevage City Smart SPF 50 / Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0/ Dermaroller / Facial exercises
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:
Are there concerns over micronized Zinc Oxide? I would like to try the Devita (I'm switching from chemicals to physical).

Nope.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:18 am      Reply with quote
I've also driven myself to nearly complete distraction over the subject of sunscreens.

First, I was convinced that a sufficient PPD rating was the way to go...then discovered that the only sunscreens with sufficient PPD ratings are chemical sunscreens sold in Europe - so I ended up paying lots of $ to buy those formulas - and to find ones that would be relatively matte, etc.

Then I learned about the problems with chem sunscreen stability and pro-oxidation and that prompted me to look into physical sunscreens.

Upon researching the physical sunscreens, I learned that most do not have sufficient PPD ratings and leave a white cast on the skin and if I wanted one that did not present those two problems, it would have to be a formula that used nanoparticles. So then I learned that nanoparticles might carry an unknown health risk.....

So, what's a health and skin conscious person to do about all of this?

Anyone else?

Thanks, BF
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:

I'm done with daily sunscreen application - it causes me too many problems and there's a lot of concerns.

My strategy...

- only applying sunscreen when I'm going to be in the sun for an extended period of time and won't be able to escape (a day out on a boat for example);
- avoiding the direct sun where possible;
- wearing sensible clothing (including hats);
- wearing an effective antioxidant-rich product daily (possibly a few);
- eating an antioxidant-rich diet (always have) and taking Heliocare supplements.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:

Pick a sunscreen that doesn't irritate your skin (if you can find one), wear it every day, and get on with your life! Laughing

My mother did not wear sunscreen a day in her life. She did not get skin cancer, and she was very young looking up until the day she died. She did not lay out in the sun, and got exposure only during her walks, etc. She didn't use skin care at all actually, except for some noxema on her nose for the "shininess". I think you just have to make a decision that you are comfortable with and not worry about the "experts" opinions all the time.
whirleegig
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
I am so upset that Aromaleigh is closing. This mineral make-up has served as my physical sunscreen for years. Zinc oxide and titanium oxide are the best sunscreens! Aromaleigh had their regular mineral make-up and their microencapsulated version for sensitive skin. Really natural-looking and protected my skin. Now what will I use? Other mineral make-ups look shiny.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:40 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |