Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

DIY eyelash tinting kits
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:20 am      Reply with quote
Ok, now that I've had my first taste of eyelash tinting I want MORE! I know I've only done it once but I *love* the blue/black shade that I had and how super glossy it was. Pity it didn't last very long though... I am going to go back to the salon to get it done one more time but after that I'd like to do my own... at least I think I would like to.... Laughing

So, first, I know there are kits out there but are there any brands that should be avoided? Is Refectocil (sp?) a good brand? Is this a bad idea? Laughing And, last, if you do do this yourself, do you do one eye at a time?

I promise not to venture into the DIY world of eyelash perming though...
Medusa
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy,

I tint my eyelashes with Swiss-o-Par Eyebrow and Eyelash Colour kit. I have done it many times and it works great. Just to show the kit: http://www.swissopar.co.uk/

I bought it in the usual drug-store, skin-care, fragrance etc shop (donno what u call them in english Embarassed )
The eyelash tinting isn't very hard to use (I mean, if Medusa can do it.. Rolling Eyes ) Just be careful and everything must be working fine. My lashes are between brown and black with the ends getting lighter so when u tint them u can see the black ends too which makes them more noticiable and longer.
It takes maximum 15 minutes to do both eyes if you do it very veryslow and carefully and you can do both eyes at the same time or just do one at the time.
The kit costed me 13 to 15 euro (I forgot the exact price) and u can use it many times (8 to 10), depends if u also color your eyebrows or only ur eyelashes.
I was bit Shock when I read what amount you all paid for tinting your eyelashes. Anyway, HTH

Medusa
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
I second everything Medusa has said! The absolute most important thing is to take your time when you're doing it. Re-read the instructions each time, just to refresh your memory. And, above all, don't allow yourself to be distracted while you're waiting for the dye to "take"!!! (see my horror story at the thread link below) And always have a swab pre-moistened with the dye remover -- just in case!!

The DIY kit I used came from Sallys Beauty Supply store. Obviously I realize that you don't have Sallys in Oz, but here's the link anyway so you can at least check out the product itself in case it's available down under.... • Roux Lash & Brow Tint: http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/product.asp?pf%5Fid=700883&dept%5Fid=1410

Mabsy - You might remember I already posted my warnings regarding lash tinting and perming a few months back under one of the eyelash perming threads. Here's the link:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=3118&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25 You might want to go back and re-read the part where I listed the ingredients to AVOID in eyelash dyes because they have caused blindness. I would say that you should especially avoid those ingredients if you're going to be performing the tint procedures yourself, at least until you get the hang of it!!

Good luck!
Carrie
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't know you could buy the DIY kits! I think I'll drop by Sally's tomorrow and try the Roux one on myself. Is this one a vegetable dye?

-Cheri
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
I don’t think the Roux kit is a veg dye, but I could be wrong. I can tell you that they only have two colors: brown and black (not that lovely, glossy blue-black that Mabsy talked about). So unless you’re a platinum blonde, I highly recommend getting the black kit. Even so, it’s not really super dark or jet black....

Also, with the Roux kit, instead of using the little pointed toothpick-like sticks that come with the kit and cover them with cotton, instead I recommend buying some of those pointy-ended Qtips (they also sell them at Sallys) and use them for application instead, but that's just me.....
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
Got those pointy end Qtips on my list! Thanks!
Mabsy

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:25 am      Reply with quote
Thank you! I went to one of the shops with all of these names written down and they didn't have a single one! Laughing I'm going to another one tomorrow and fingers crossed that they will have at least one! I really *do* want blue/black though, or violet/black if I can manage to find it, so I will need to go for another brand as the ones that were mentioned don't have that color combo. I have written down the "evil" ingredients that you listed Carrie (thank you!) and shall cross check before I buy.

I'll let you know what I find Smile
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:20 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy -

If you manage to find a kit with violet-black, I might just have to pay you to get me one and ship it to me!!! When I do wear mascara,purple or burgundy is my fave color because it does absolutely AMAZING things for my green eyes...
Mabsy

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:33 am      Reply with quote
I love using purple mascara (I'm quite fond of the color of the purple Kiss Me one I've got Very Happy ) and I've heard a "rumour" that you can get violet/black or at least blue/black with a bit of violet mixed in. So far I have not been able to find anything. If I do though, you'll be the first to know and I shall offer my shipping services to you Smile
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:23 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy -

After I read your post, I got curious and started looking online for lash tinting kits with blue/black or violet/black dyes and the only brand I could find that had a blue/black version
was Refectocil (they had black, blue/black, brown and "graphite," which is grey). Unfortunately, they are the ones at the tippy-top of the FDA's (U.S. Federal Drug Administration) list of banned lash/brow tinting kit manufacturers for multiple instances of causing blindness and two deaths attributed to Refectocil!!! Maybe you'll have better luck finding something in Oz, but promise me you'll stay away from Refectocil no matter how blue/black and glossy the results!
Mabsy

Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:26 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Mabsy -
Maybe you'll have better luck finding something in Oz, but promise me you'll stay away from Refectocil no matter how blue/black and glossy the results!

*pouts* Okay, I promise Sad I think the Refectocil ones are the easiest to find here, but, yes, you are right - the risk is not worth it. I didn't get a chance to go to the shops today (damn work!) but will go on my hunt tomorrow.
Medusa
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:13 am      Reply with quote
ahum... Rolling Eyes
Mabsy, I can offer you my services to buy and mail you Swiss-o-Par Eyebrow and Eyelash Colour kit if you wish to try that out and if it's not availiable where you live.
It's no big deal for me to get the kit & post it to you. The price is at discount 12 euro's. But als far as I know they have brown, brown/black and black. Not blue/violet/black.

Medusa
Mabsy

Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:59 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Medusa, that's very generous of you! I'll save you the trouble though because I did manage to track down a blue/black kit and it's one that Carrie won't kick my butt for buying Very Happy It's called 1000hour lash kit (http://www.chemcorp.com.au/8-LashColourPages/LashColX.html) and it has none of the ingredients that Carrie listed. It's also the ONLY tinting kit I found, apparently all other ones had been recalled. You can still buy Refectocils though but you need to get all the stuff seperately.

In short - bought it, did it, loved it! It was quick, didn't sting much and gave the same results that I had when I got it done in the salon. I did one eye at a time (with eye closed) as opposed to using the "using the kit on yourself" set of instructions where you do both eyes at the same time but with them open. The kit cost me Au$19 and it looks like there's about 20 applications in there (although on the box it says 12). I think I'm going to do my mother's lashes tonight - she's been bugging me about it ever since she saw the results....
vegas gal
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
I'm scanning through the thread with my "just dyed eyelashes". I bought the Roux black kit. It is so quick, put one of the liquids on, let it sit for 3 mins, then put the other liquid on for 2 mins, rinse. I put the stuff on after I did my makeup, and I made no mess of the makeup Very Happy .
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
I did mine last night using the Roux black kit too. Mine look great and it was so easy although I did better on the eye that I did not use that paper thingie. It just got in my way.

-Cheri
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:39 am      Reply with quote
Yeah, I don’t use the paper-thingys in the Roux kit, either - I could never cut the damn thing to fit correctly. Now that you’ve done it and seen how easy it is, don’t get complacent next time! That was my big mistake. I didn’t pay attention like I should have and nearly dyed my entire eye area!! My only recommendation is that you coat the entire eye area (upper and lower) with a thin coat of Vaseline each time you do it, that way if you DO make a mistake, it least the dye can’t adhere and penetrate the skin. And always keep a Qtip tipped in the dye-remover handy to quickly swipe up any drips or drops.

Mabsy - I looked at the kit you bought, but it said it only came in black, brown or blue. So what did you do, mix your own blue-black? What ratio did you use? Did it give you the same glossy results that you got in the salon? I think might just have to order that kit myself....

Carrie

P.S. Hmmm, this page took forever to load. I wonder if it’s the website’s server itself, or if there’s something wrong with our T-1 line connection...? Is anyone else having problems? I also noticed that someone appears to be flogging/spamming Hydroderm again...I wonder if there is any connection?? I didn't get the chance to read the message yet (I think it was entitled "Hydroderm is the big thing since slicest bread" or something equally as effusive and unlikely!), but I've already lined up the links to previous discussions on this topic to warn any unsuspecting newcomers...I wish EDS would hurry up and come back online -- I'm starting to get withdrawal!!!
Mabsy

Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:45 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Mabsy - I looked at the kit you bought, but it said it only came in black, brown or blue. So what did you do, mix your own blue-black? What ratio did you use? Did it give you the same glossy results that you got in the salon? I think might just have to order that kit myself....

The blue is called "midnight blue" and it's actually the blue/black. The packaging says midnight blue on the front but blue/black on the top of the box. I got the same glossy result from it that I got at the salon Dancing

Searching for the Hydroderm topic as we speak! Smile Yes, I've had problems getting onto the forum as well. Could not log on yesterday and had problems early this morning (my time).
Denice

Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,
I just purchased Swiss O Par black eyelash dye. I don't understand how you dye the upper eyelashes. Do you close the eye while you put the stuff on or keep the eye open? The instructions only show the lower lash and I already figured out how to do that. I hope someone can help me. I am so excited to try this. Oh, and my eyelashes are pure white. I have permanent tatooing along the lid in a blackish color. My eyelashes are some kind of fluke at birth. My hair is much darker. Also, my eyebrows are light too! Help!!!!
Mabsy

Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
Denice wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I just purchased Swiss O Par black eyelash dye. I don't understand how you dye the upper eyelashes. Do you close the eye while you put the stuff on or keep the eye open?

I think this might depend on the type of dye you get and how liquidy it is in the end. With my kit you can either apply the dye with a mascara wand and keep your eyes open, or you can apply the way they usually do in the salons (which is what I do). I would NOT recommend doing your own eyelash tinting if you have not had them done by a salon at least once before though. Some dyes have very dangerous chemicals and it's too risky to use them if you don't know what you're doing. My guess is that the chemicals that are in the dye might also to some extent dictate how you use the dye - e.g. it may not be possible to keep your eyes open with some because of how strong they are.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Well, I tried it and it worked pretty well. I used Swiss O Par eyelash tint. I have pure white eyelashes and eyebrow on my right side and a bit darker shade of eyelashes and eyebrow on my left side. When I was younger, the left ones were very dark. I also have pure white streaks on the right side of my hair. A trick of mother nature at birth. I had to do the eyelashes a couple of times becuse it was my first time and my eyelashes are so light. But, it worked pretty well. Suprisingly, the lower ones were harder and didn't dye as well as the top ones did. It stung a bit and stung a little more when I washed the solution off. I squirted a bunch of saline solution in my eyes for good measure when I was finished washing my eyelashes. I'll give them a couple of days rest and then do it one more time to see if I can get them a little darker.
Denice
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Denice,

I would wait a few weeks really (maybe 2), if I were you. There is probably peroxide in the dye (there is in the one I use anyway) and you wouldn't want to do damage, or have any fall out. Shock

Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
You are probably right. This product does not have any peroxide and advertises that it can be done at home. It works really well too, but then again, I haven't had my eyelashes professionally dyed. Thanks for the advice and I think it will be a good idea to wait.
Denice
themineralmakeupshoppe

Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:49 am      Reply with quote
Do anyone know where I can find vegan, vegtable dye for lashes and brows?
Thanks
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
themineralmakeupshoppe wrote:
Do anyone know where I can find vegan, vegtable dye for lashes and brows?
Thanks
I'm not certain it's 100% vegan, but the Roux Lash & Brow Tint kit that you can find at Sallys Beauty supply stores for about $30USD contain a veggie dye...unfortunately, it's difficult to use and the results don't last very long and it's only available in two shades (brown and black). Here's a link to the product: http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1410/700883

I have used this product in the past, but I can't honestly say it's something I would recommend...particularly if you're a DIY lash-tinting virgin. Confused

The other choice might be to try an actual HAIR dye that is vegetable-based (perhaps Aveda?), but use a 3% color developer like that found in the 1000 Hours Lash Tint to ensure that it's (more) safe to use around the eyes, but I think that would be kinda risky and it's probably not something I would recommend either....

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Sad

Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
http:// solarkateco. blogspot . com/

you can go to the above blog she is all about vegan. just shrink all the spaces in the address.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |