Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Best book or article on anti aging skin care regimen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Flavia
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
I'm new here and desperately trying to get started on the "perfect" regimen for my skin, but there's so much info out there, I'm almost hyperventilating. I have nice skin for my age (57) with some fine lines and sagging. My goal is a nice glowing, firm tone. I'm driving myself crazy trying to research peptides, serums, oils, etc. Is there one very good source (book or website) where I can get a handle on this? I want to take advantage of someone's research without spending $$$ experimenting. There are some great posts here, but hundreds of them! Where do I start???
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:55 am      Reply with quote
There are three gold-standard products when it comes to anti-aging.

1. Sunscreen - a good, photo-stable one, applied daily, rain or shine, 365 days a year.

2. Vitamin C serums - applied under your sunscreen and/or at night. They mop up a lot of the UV damage that gets through sunscreen, brighten skin tone and help rebuild collagen.

3. Retinoids - used at night, they come in various strengths, from over-the-counter creams and lotions containing retinol and retinaldehyde (which are the two that are the most effective) to prescription-strength Retin-A (tretinoin), Tazorac (tazarotene) and Differin (adapalene).

There's a lot of independent scientific evidence to back up the claims of all three and if you're going to spend money on trying to undo some of the signs of aging (and prevention), those are the ones to put your money on.
Flavia
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Josh. Would you also recommend copper peptides? If so, would this be in place of Retin A? I would like to firm up my skin.
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:37 am      Reply with quote
I wouldn't, simply because copper peptides caused my skin quite a bit of damage that it has taken nearly 6 months, a long course of Accutane (which I'm going to be on for several more months) and the use of strong acids to correct (and there's still some damage).

Many do use them successfully though and I'm sure they'll post in due course. They can be used with retinods.

Retinoids and vit C will also help to firm up your skin (they stimulate collagen production). Though you should keep in mind that if the sagging is because of the underlying muscles (which is often the case), no topical product can help, only surgery.
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Josh is right on...

2 additional things to consider:

- I would just also add an additional antioxidant serum. Green Tea, Coffee Berry, Goji Berry, etc. Ready made or DIY. I apply this before my sunscreen for added protection.

- A good AHA. I am trying to incorporate this into my regime now.

Good luck, have fun! Smile I started to get serious about skin care about a year ago and it took some time to absorb all of the information!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:05 am      Reply with quote
I recently spent $80 on Amazon to buy Dr. Leslie Baumann's latest book - Cosmetic Dermatology.

Personally, it was worth it to me to better understand the products and services available and how to avoid the ones that do nothing but waste $.

You may find the same info researching further online or if you search one of the recent threads that I started - you will find sources others recommend that do not cost $$.

Best to you! BF
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Well Flavia, I think The Beauty Bible by Paula Begoun. Instead of the peptide thing, just glycolic acid serum or a beta hydroxy product to keep your pores clean and maintained.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Flavia and welcome. I am a copper peptide user - skin signals and super cop most of the time. Retin A can be used either under or over CP's depending upon what you are looking to do. They work for me but are not for everyone. They are very powerful anti-aging and you must be careful and start sl-ow-ly to avoid problems. Sorry you are dealing with what you are Josh. What is your skin type and what were you using?

I also use DIY C-Serum: Kassy's recipe available on EDS. Retin-A and some oils and hydrosols. I love these. I also sometimes sneak in a jar of Karin Herzog VK2 - it's amazing for complexion brightening.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
I also use & love copper peptides. Have had an ugly day or two, not a big deal considering how much they have toned up my skin in nearly 5 months of use. Not for everyone though, read the threads on here for a more complete view.

I've also gotten a lot out of the Tua Viso and have definitely been able to address sag & tone issues through using it. Also a lot written about it here.

LED light treatments are also good, definitely collagen building. I use the Pretika Light Sonic which is very affordable.

Exfoliation is important. The Clarisonic or a microfiber cloth are good investments.

TCA peels help also but require downtime, careful planning, etc. There are a lot of Obagi fans on here. Obagi system is mostly peels and tretinoin I think.

Diet is important. Lowered carbs means better skin in most cases. The Zone or Perricone.

As for a book on skin, I like The Skin Type Solution by Leslie Baumann. Read that then add whatever you like from what you read here. Also very key is sunscreen & sunlight avoidance. To undo the damage that's already been done.
Flavia
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:26 am      Reply with quote
Great responses from everyone! I am dry brushing my face once a day with a face brush I bought from Sally's. Is the microfiber cloth, an AHA or the Clarisonic better for exfoliation?

Also, with all the great choices, would it make a significant difference to include Retin A if I use DIY Vitamin C serum (and I am also intrigued with the Tua Viso). If I do start go for Retin A, what strength should I start with? Should I consider Renova?

Thanks! I know I'll have more questions.
Flavia
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Well, never mind on the exfoliation question. I just discovered that manual exfoliating doesn't get below the surface, but a good AHA will, so I guess my question should be which AHA to go for... Very Happy
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
I'm happy with the Clarisonic. On another board the Retin-a users use the microfiber cloth. I follow an aesthtician named Nancy Nivolo who owns NCN pro skin care. http://www.ncnproskincare.com. She says based on her research daily use of hydroxy acids not advised. Read her January 2010 blog post for more info. She also carries the microfiber cloth.
As per Retin-a from all I've read it can be pretty irritating. I'd start with .025%. You could also alternate with Avene Retrinal, a product that is the next step down from Retin-a.
Flavia
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Gretchen. I was wondering if Retin A along with Vitamin C serum is a bit of overkill or do they impact the skin in different ways? Adding an ADA really does sound like too much to me.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
No not at all I don't think. People use both vitamin C & Retin-a with good results. The vit C is applied under sunscreen in the morning & Retin-a at night. To clear the flakes most people get people use the microfiber cloth.

Flavia wrote:
Thanks, Gretchen. I was wondering if Retin A along with Vitamin C serum is a bit of overkill or do they impact the skin in different ways? Adding an ADA really does sound like too much to me.
Flavia
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Gretchen, Nanci Nivolo's pages seem to be down. I can navigate to the home page, but not the anywhere else. Hmmm....
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |