Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Favorite Sunscreen...and what do you like about it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Goose
5% products discount

Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
I'm frustrated in trying to find a sunscreen that works for me. I don't want to list what I've tried but would rather hear your experience.

What do you like about your current sunscreen?

I would like to find one that:
1. Works well under makeup
2. Isn't greasy, prefer matte
3. Leaves no white cast
4. Has high enough protection to keep sunspots away
5. Doesn't cause breakouts

Is that too much to ask for? Smile
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
If you aren't averse to chemical sunscreens my favourite is Vichy Aqualia Thermal spf 15.

I know spf 15 is low, however the PPD/UVA protection is 18- which is high and it's photo-stable (contains both Mexoryl SX and XL, as well as stabilized Avobenzone).

Unless I'm exposed all day to intense heat I don't feel the need to use spf 50 everyday (especially as it is chemical ss).

I use this Vichy one everyday under my CE Ferulic serum.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
I'm using Neutrogena UltraSheer SPF 30

It gives a pretty matte finish and dries almost instantly and doesn't leave a white cast. It also contains vitamins to act as antioxidants to counter free radicals. Hasn't caused me breakouts, but I'm looking into using a physical sunscreen
ilovefkmtnoses
5% products discount

Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
Ugh, I'm going through the same thing.

I just bought MVO Moisturizing Face Screen and it is HARDLY moisturizing at all. My face looks dry and really ugly with it on. I want to take a shower right now and get it off.

My dilemma is this; I want a photostable sunscreen that isn't drying and doesn't have a plethora of damaging ingredients. I want a nice, simple sunscreen but it just seems like that's too hard to make. I know I could just go for zinc oxide sunscreens for ensured photostability but firstly, it's drying, secondly, they don't make a lot of sunscreens with larger particle zinc, and thirdly, a lot of formulations contain essential oils and extracts that I'm unsure of in terms of photostability.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know what USP stands for in terms of sunscreen?
ilovefkmtnoses
5% products discount

Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
It stands for United States Pharmacopeia (grade). At least, that's what I gathered.
ilovefkmtnoses
5% products discount

Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
I'm mostly concerned about wrinkling and it just seems that no matter what I try to look up, everything seems damaging...
havana8

Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
ilovefkmtnoses wrote:

I just bought MVO Moisturizing Face Screen and it is HARDLY moisturizing at all. My face looks dry and really ugly with it on. I want to take a shower right now and get it off.

My dilemma is this; I want a photostable sunscreen that isn't drying and doesn't have a plethora of damaging ingredients. I want a nice, simple sunscreen but it just seems like that's too hard to make. I know I could just go for zinc oxide sunscreens for ensured photostability but firstly, it's drying, secondly, they don't make a lot of sunscreens with larger particle zinc, and thirdly, a lot of formulations contain essential oils and extracts that I'm unsure of in terms of photostability.

You might find this thread helpful:

What physical sunscreens are most popular right now?
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=36630

I really like Devita's sunscreen although Suntegrity is on my list to try. Smile
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
I really love La Roche Posey Anthelios SPF 60. I use it daily. I like that it contains mexoryl. I use it under my makeup with a mattifying primer over top. Very Happy
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
Goose wrote:
I'm frustrated in trying to find a sunscreen that works for me. I don't want to list what I've tried but would rather hear your experience.

What do you like about your current sunscreen?

I would like to find one that:
1. Works well under makeup
2. Isn't greasy, prefer matte
3. Leaves no white cast
4. Has high enough protection to keep sunspots away
5. Doesn't cause breakouts

Is that too much to ask for? Smile

I would like to add:

a very high SPF that works.
able to layer on without buildup.

With help, I did find one, but now discontinued. Now I am using eltaMD Clear.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
ilovefkmtnoses wrote:

Really?! That's so surprising to me because I just read some reviews on it and everyone was raving about it... hmm good thing I'm not an impulsive shopper
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
Goose! I love your forum name because my parents used to call me that, or Goosey, as a term as endearment when I was really young.

I haven't tried too many ss's but at the advice of people on eds I went with Devita and am really happy. It addresses all the points you listed. I got both the face one and the body one, and haven't even opened the face one yet since the body one works just great on my face!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:21 am      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
Goose! I love your forum name because my parents used to call me that, or Goosey, as a term as endearment when I was really young.

I haven't tried too many ss's but at the advice of people on eds I went with Devita and am really happy. It addresses all the points you listed. I got both the face one and the body one, and haven't even opened the face one yet since the body one works just great on my face!

I think I've seen this line but I'm hesitant. Can you tell me for sure that the SPF protection on UVA & UVB is high?
Goose
5% products discount

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi LoriA,
The Devita sunscreen you are recommending - is it this one..Solar Protective Moisturizer SPF 30+....ACTIVE INGRED: Micronized Zinc oxide 19%? If so, that sounds like really high zinc protection.

Can you confirm this is the product?
Where do you buy it?

BTW, Goose is the name of my Cat! I call him Silly Goose...because his is.. Very Happy
JennyJam
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:42 am      Reply with quote
The best sunscreen I have found for everyday use is Eminence's Tomato Sun Cream. I love this product! While it is a mineral sunscreen (so safer for your skin vs chemical sunscreens), there is no white cast! Yay! It isn't greasy, and smell divine- like vanilla. I love this and have purchased it several times and will continue to do so.
lilmiss
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Jennyjam - would this work for super oily skin?
butterfliesandflowers
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
I was going to try John masters mineral spf30 next, thought the ingredients seemed quite good, has anyone tried it ?
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
butterfliesandflowers wrote:
I was going to try John masters mineral spf30 next, thought the ingredients seemed quite good, has anyone tried it ?

I went to look for at EDS. I see other products but don't see the SS. Am I missing something?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry should have put don't think it's available here, I've seen it on feelunique.Com
amandaM
5% products discount

Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
I used to have Omorovicza Complexion Brightener with spf 20. It gives an even matte finish. But I'm kinda broke now. It's pricey for me right now, though I really loved it. So now I'm trying out Olay Regenerist spf 50.
Ziggy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:49 am      Reply with quote
I like LRP Anthelios, but I get worried when ppl say chemical sunscreens damage the skin. Sad Yet, a good ppd (decent UVA protection) seems like the main reason to wear sunscreen in the first place? (well, at least as far as aging is concerned). I'm confused...

What do you see as more important, a high ppd or a "non-chemical" protection?

Norwegian, 28, brunette, medium/pale skintone, green eyes. Not sensitive skin, bit dry in winter, trying to figure out preventative skincare. Happy with: retin-a cream, emu, LRP Anthelios ss, Careprost. Stopped with CPs. Curious about: Bioderma ss, Renova, gadgets.
Goose
5% products discount

Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Ziggy, I'm clearly not a ss expert so this is just what I've read. Whether its fact or fiction I have no idea. If you are trying to fade/prevent sunspots (melasma) you should stick with a physical sunscreen.

That is what I am trying to treat (melasma) so for me personally I want to stick with a physical ss but I hear lots of raves for LRP.
lilmiss
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Goose -
I use physical SS as well because of melasma/hyperpigmentation. I have tried SOOOOOO many because I am very oily and acne prone. I am always reading reviews to try and find recs for physical ss that is matte and doesn't cause breakouts. The best I have found so far is Clinique Super City sun block in the SPF 25. I tried the SPF 40 but it seems a little oily.

I have tried to use a mattifying primer over other sunscreens that other than leaving a oily sheen were very nice. Buy I break out using anything with silicone in it. Confused
lilmiss
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Forgot to add - the Clinique is pretty reasonably priced as well. I think it is $18.00 for 1.4 ounces. The spf 25 also is oil free.
queenielau718
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:09 am      Reply with quote
i am highly suggesting to use mineral powder if having very oily and acne prone skin !! the mineral powder does help in absorbing oil and helps to reduce acne + it has sun screen property,
~SPF 30.

You can try Eminence sun defense, they have mineral powder in transluscent or different kind of skintone too. I love it very very much...... Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |