Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Intermittent Fasting for HGH and Fat Loss
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
I've been reading about this the last week or so online. Looks very interesting. From what I've read Eat Stop Eat is the best system.

http://www.eatstopeat.com
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
I know that high intensity interval training (HIIT) does the same thing and you wind up healthier and looking better. A friend of mine who is 60 did only 15 min. of interval cardio and lost 15 lbs without changing anything else. He did weight training regularly so only the cardio changed. He said his HGH and testosterone levels went up and a certain part of his anatomy became "rock hard." Bad Grin
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
I've been reading around & people do both. I like HIIT but I won't be doing lots of cardio and fasting, more like 3-4 serious workouts a week. Not sure yet, my main concern is muscle mass, I've needed to get back up to a higher weight for years. Fasting is good for so many things, it may almost be like a fountain of youth onus its much more convenient than eating every day. Rearranging my #s-- 1-3% body fat or gain 5 lbs of muscle while maintaining body fat, whatever. The main thing for me is to switch it up. I'm also questioning the validity of breakfast, Dr. Denese the QVC derm says to skip or just eat protein for hgh. What if breakfast is really aging??

Anyway here are some of the sites I've been reading:

http://www.fitnessblackbook.com

http://www.hollywoodbodyfitness.com

http://www.skinnyfit.wordpress.com

http://www.theiflife.com
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:47 am      Reply with quote
I just read the Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmekler and it is GOOD. You should read it even if you don't like the concept of intermittent fasting, it is interesting and inspiring.

I found the pdf file online:

http://www.google.com/search?q=+media+fire+warrior+diet&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Eat Stop Eat is pretty good too.

http://www.mediafire.com/?b214dut8rob
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Nutritionist says there is no reason to fear hunger:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/dinner-with-hilary-swanks-nutritionist-197216
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:16 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the links, gretchen. The Warrior Diet in particular looks interesting. I tend to do a day of detox fasting once a week and wonder how different this is from intermittent fasting. I guess I will go and read the pdf file to find out, lol. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, great topic. I've also started getting interested in intermittant fasting.

I'm not doing things like Eat Stop Eat or like the Every Other Day Diet (where you alternate high and low calorie cycles).

Rather, I'm experimenting with eating all my calories in a smaller window. I'm aiming to eat everything within 5-6 hours. I would really like to post much more here, but I really have negative time for the rest of the month. So let me just say, I feel better and I sleep less (and I already eat very healthy). SO FAR, AMAZING STUFF!!

I won't recite anything that's been posted, but let me add to the resource list:

* Fast-5:www.fast-5.com; also a book by Dr. Herring
* Lean Gains:www.leangains.com
* "The Alternate-Day Diet" by Dr. Johnson

What I am following is closest to Fast-5, except that my eating window is centered around noon and I'm doing a high raw, high fruit, and high greens diet (so that would be high carb). It seems like a majority of people doing Fast-5 are doing it with low carb.

I hope this thread grows! So far, very fascinating.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
Yes cm5597, it really is amazing and there is so much of what *seems* like credible information about it ALL OVER the Internet. I feel freed and am the happiest I've been in years. Low calorie dieting a la the Zone was a staple for me from the late 90s on; I'm not entirely sorry I ate little small calorie controlled meals all those years, I didn't gain that much weight in my 30s and it taught me a lot... I think! Very Happy But since my late 30s it's been a different story. I've gotten sick of breakfast the older I've gotten and also this year due to personal circumstances started grazing a little. People have such different views it seems about what's "healthy". Calorie restriction most of the time is the only way to maintain weight loss.

ANYWAY, I've sort of started to settle on the Warrior Diet approach; I eat lightly on fruits and veggies during the day and have a big meal at night. I fast up to 18 hours a day, till late morning most days. I would have never believed in a million years that this could be a "healthy" way to eat but my early impression is that it is. My focus during the day is phenomenal and I just feel so much better not having to worry about lunch and snacks etc. I never was a big snacker till the last few years so for me this is much better.
azwildcats7
5% products discount

Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
From my experience, HGH is just a mental tool to help you eat less. HGH has no real effects, but only eating 500 colories a day (which is unhealthy) will of course help you lose weight. However, your body can not adjust that quickly.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
Actually most current diets are about keeping the body in the just-barely-fed state most of the time. IF is more about flexibility and choosing when you eat in order to break away from outdated routines, ie the whole concept of "3 meals a day". IME anyway.....
Some of us don't need to eat less, we need to eat more. Very Happy
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
Just found this interesting article which explains the anti aging benefits of fasting:

http://www.theiflife.com/the-longevity-gene-sirt1-part-i-cr-fasting-and-aging-diseases/

So this is pretty powerful stuff. Survival mechanisms turned on by Calorie Restriction/Fasting (a natural evolutionary stress) turn on a primal response that increase a cells defense (against toxins, free radicals or other destructive elements), can increase cellular repair (and therefore the health of wherever the cells are located�.as if you repair cells in the heart, the heart gets stronger) and positively effect energy production which could lead to improved performance. Not only that but it also has the potential to stall progressive damage at the cellular level as seen in degenerative diseases such as cancer, diabetes and neuro-based illnesses.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
Don't know if it may be related, but one thing that has always fascinated me is the fact that people who have been in starvation mode during a few years during the Second World War, and have survived, seem to live longer, and in good health. Don't know if they have continued to eat less or what though...
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
There has been some research on that, but no real cause was found. Besides, it isn't true for everyone, diseases like cancer still take their toll. Longer life and better health can also be contributed to the general better health care and nourishment after the war. And of course, don't forget that the weakest didn't make it, so there is also a matter of "natural" selection.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
Oh and they obviously did not continue to eat less! Would you?? Probably the most important factor in longer life expectancy was penicillin, and a diet higher in proteins. Fasting is very healthy as long as you can manage to get all the necessary stuff in. If not, it's not good for you. Health problems due to lack of essential foods continued until well into the fifties. Lots of children were sent to special holiday camps to feed them up on foods high in protein (eggs and milk) after the war. Food was rationed over here until 1947 or 1948, especially things like meat were scarce. I don't think that is something that would contribute to anyone's general health or life expectancy.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
Oh and they obviously did not continue to eat less! Would you?? Probably the most important factor in longer life expectancy was penicillin, and a diet higher in proteins. Fasting is very healthy as long as you can manage to get all the necessary stuff in. If not, it's not good for you. Health problems due to lack of essential foods continued until well into the fifties. Lots of children were sent to special holiday camps to feed them up on foods high in protein (eggs and milk) after the war. Food was rationed over here until 1947 or 1948, especially things like meat were scarce. I don't think that is something that would contribute to anyone's general health or life expectancy.

The penicillin certainly made a difference! My mom mentioned that what they did get daily was milk and eggs, but then she had an uncle that had a farm... What do you mean by "over here"? I'm talking from a british point of view. I hope I'm not diverging too much from the original post. On the meat point I would expect someone on a vegetarian diet would be able to give an opinion. I find all this food stuff fascinating!
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
I live in Holland. Things were pretty bad over here, especially in the last winter of the war. Lots of people died, dead people literally lying in the street in the big cities. The country side of course was in a much better situation, officially all meat dairy and eggs had to be accounted for etc but there's always the odd piglet or calf that didn't get registered and uncounted eggs. But in the cities in the west, pure horror, about 22.000 (! and that is the conservative number, other sources go higher) people died from starvation and cold. The ones who survived would probably have had a better life expectancy anyway because they were the tough ones.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
One thing I must mention - there has been research into the effects of the "starvation winter" on that generation and the next. It was discovered that children from mothers who had suffered hunger during the war have a greater chance to develop diabetes type II. So, not the survivors themselves but their children. Now, this is NOT the same as intermittent fasting with a good diet and supplements so that you get all your necessary stuff in and just adjust your metabolism to be more effective. BUT extreme dieting without a well researched diet that covers all the necessities may have consequences for your children, as they are built from your body and the shape it is in. Just something to consider.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:46 pm      Reply with quote
Could I just eat like whatever one day and then nothing except for juice the next day and still expect to loose weight?

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
echoecho wrote:
Could I just eat like whatever one day and then nothing except for juice the next day and still expect to loose weight?

There are a lot of variations of IF, one is the "every other day" approach. You could eat whatever you want one day and not the next but if you did drink juice it would have to have no carbs or calories in it, like lemon juice.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
Sunwarrior plant protein promo, great video about IF though so watch:

http://www.sunwarrior.com/fasting/
flfl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
for those of you that do IF, how do you do it? i think the easiest for me is fasting between dinner and breakfast. what would be the minimum number of hours? i tried 15h, but i am hungry!!

is it ok to eat veggies at least?\

any tips on how to be successful with IF?
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
I've been experimenting on and off over the past year with IF.

The way I currently do it--and which is very easy for me now--is to eat all my food in a 6-hour window, then fast for 18 hours straight. I do this most days of the week (basically any day that I can, but don't worry about it when social plans come up...just go off it for a day and just right back on the next...no biggie).

So I found that for me *personally*, this is what works best:

(1) Having my eating window earlier in the day. My window is from 9 AM - 3 PM. I find that it is much harder to do IF when you wait later in the day. I think it's in part due to two things: (1) my digestion and desire for food is strongest about mid-day, which makes sense from an evolutionary and circadian rhythms perspective, and (2) I suspect if you eat earlier in the day, your body doesn't freak out later in the day and give you strong cravings. 9 AM to 3 PM works terrific for me...enough time to wake up and centered around mid-day.

I got the idea of eating all your food in a narrow window from Fast-5:www.fast-5.com. They advocate a 5-hour window, but right now, I like 6 hours. They also recommend eating later in the day, but I find eating earlier in the day to be far better for me personally.

(2) I only slightly undereat when do IF. I do estimate to the nearest 100-150 calories or so my daily food intake, so that I make sure that I don't eat too little or too much. I find a modest calorie cut of around 200 calories to be the most that I can tolerate well and consistently over weeks at a time (I'm already very close to my goal weight). If you are doing IF to lose weight, I think you need to experiment with what is that sweet spot for you personally in terms of what sort of long-term calorie cut is maintainable and easy for you.

(3) Make sure to eat enough nutrient dense foods...for me that include lots of greens...on the few occasions I don't, I get serious cravings.

(4) My personal experience is in this version of IF, your insulin is super-sensitive around the first meal you eat of the day. It's a slightly strange sensation but you get used to it. Go more slowly and carefully during this meal. I find that for my other two meals, it's not a problem.

(5) I eat high carb (two meals of green smoothies with just fruit and greens) and then beans + veggies for dinner (on most days). I don't have any blood sugar/insulin issues with doing IF in this manner. I say this because many people doing IF seem to also be doing Atkins or high-fat approaches. But I don't think it's a good idea, as high-fat diets are known to cause diabetes and insulin resistance. It's why when they want to give rats and mice diabetes, they almost always feed then a high-fat diet.

I hope this helps!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
Fairydogmother wrote:
I have been trying my own novice fasts here and there, just 24 hour water fasts. From what I've read, this is the absolute BEST thing to do for anti-aging and longevity. So once or twice a week I have been doing water fasts. It's hard cause I get splitting head aches and am ravenous. But every time I do this, the next morning when I look in the mirror my skin and eyes look AMAZING!!! No puffy eyes, no bags, firmer eyes, luminescent skin like I had in my 20s (I'm 45). I don't know the mechanism of why it shaves years off of you, but it seems to work. I think it has something to do with metabolic wastes? I notice that dogs who are on the thinner side act and look much, much younger, too. I am very interested in knowing more. Most of what I have read so far is a lot of body builders doing this for weight loss, but I am interested in this from an anti-aging standpoint.

Basically, the less I eat, the younger I look. The past few months I have been eating less and less (but still getting optimal nutrition). I notice that when I eat a lot or eat bad foods, the next morning I look haggard and I have puffy eyes. LOL

I think I read somewhere that the Okinawans live well into their hundreds and they typically eat a calorie restricted diet (?)

I figure calorie restriction/IF/fasting IS THE HOLY GRAIL of anti-aging. It costs nothing, is fairly easy to do, and is extremely healthy. I could be wrong, but this is my experience so far. Rather than spending hundreds/thousands $$ on some of the anti-aging products, I'd like to explore this as well.

I would love to hear from others who have experienced this.

Fairydogmother,

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog Corky. My heart goes out to you.

On the topic of intermittent fasting, come join us on this thread here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=42817

My personal experience is that eating a mostly low-fat raw vegan and doing intermittent fasting (IF) are the two most powerful dietary practices that I've personally experienced in my past decade of self experimentation Smile

I could rave all day about either. I personally have found them both to be exceptionally powerful when done in a balanced way over the long-term.

Oh, and I'm vegan and it's no problem to do IF.

Finally, there are lots of different variants of IF. I personally like the variant where you fast every day for something like 16-20 hours, rather than fasting once a week for 24 hours, or doing full or modified fasts every other day. (Those are the three main approaches to intermittent fasting that I know.) So you might want to experiment with one of the other approaches.

But yes, it is awesome and totally helping my cellulite go away (though slowly).

But yes, come join us on the thread here and post your response here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=42817

so that we can have all these discussions in the same place Smile

Just moving this here from another thread Smile

5% products discount

Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597,

Thank you for replying! I'm happy there is a thread on IF!

I have been vegan for several years and in the past year have been transitioning to *almost* raw. I watched several of Tonya Zavasta's Youtube videos and was inspired. I believe she does IF as well? So now I drink smoothies in the morning and have large salads for lunch, and I skip dinner. But I'm not really doing low fat raw vegan, unfortunately. That's a tough one for me. I need some dietary fat to feel satiated. I do like your idea of beans and veggies for dinner, though. Do you eat cooked beans or sprouted?

I tried fasting for 36 hours once a week. I was surprised I got through it and felt pretty good the last few hours of the fast. So then I tried alternate day fasting and that was waaaay too hard! I was starving! The Fast 5 program sounds do-able.

I'm not doing IF for weight loss anymore since I've lost all the weight and then some. I wish I could say it has gotten rid of my cellulite, but not yet. LOL I'm primarily interested in the anti-aging and health benefits of fasting. And I'd also like to apply this to my dogs cause I am tired of seeing them get degenerative diseases. I thought I read somewhere that fasting greatly increases longevity in all animals/humans?

Is IF better than fasting one day a week?

Just curious if any of you are aware of any other specific health benefits of IF besides weight loss?

Thanks!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |