Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dark Circles caused by thin skin-- is there any hope?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:41 am      Reply with quote
I have been dealing with dark circles under my eyes since I was 5. Sometimes they are worse than other times. Right now they are really bad. I do not have seasonal nasal congestion or anything like that. The skin in that area (under my eyes) is just very thin. I do not really have a problem with bags.

I feel like I have tried EVERYTHING topically... Vitamin K (Jason brand), peptides (multiple brands, Teamine (terrible product) and most recently a Stem Cell product (Reluma) that included special dk circle reducing ingredients. Nothing seems to be working, and I am starting to get depressed about the whole thing. People won't stop making comments to me: friends, random people, even my parents...."Wow, you look tired". The darn things are beginning to look like dark trenches.

I am just now starting some facial exercises (using Carolyns program) and I am hopeful that maybe that will do something, but I dont know... Has anyone out there had any success with their dark circles --- what worked? diet changes? accupressure? a certain topical treatment? facial exercise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
I've also always had the same thing from thin skin. It's so thin I also see several large viens under my right eye, and I can see the viens and redness in my eye lids if I lift my eyebrows up. The eyelids are always dark too. I've never needed eye shadow and can't wear any without using a concealer or base first on them.

It's just a heriditary thing. Can you see viens anywhere on your face? Are your eyelids dark? Do you have any Eastern European mix in your blood?

Since it is due to thin skin, helping the circulation isn't going to help. The only thing that's helped me is relying on lots of concealer since I started wearing makeup. It makes a huge difference and I look terrible without it! As far as correcting it permanately I don't see how anything can unless it works to thicken the skin under the eyes. I've heard several things thicken the dermis though I don't know which of those things are safe under the delicate eye area. There are copper peptides, vitamin C, retin A, derma rolling, AHA that thicken skin.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:05 am      Reply with quote
The skin in that area is naturally thin. Dark circles have many causes determining the cause of yours will help. No topicals really help dark circles. If you have the tear through deformity, very common, look into getting filler. It can make a world of difference.
beautifulwonder
5% products discount

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:17 am      Reply with quote
Hello, I feel your pain.

My circles are so bad, I will not step out of the door to even check the mailbox without concealer on (and even then they are still visible, with caked concealer. Sigh).

My dermatologist said it was thin skin, but more so, a congested under eye area. He also said it was the most severe case he has seen.

I think I always had them slightly, but when I was around 11/12 they got a lot worse, and I've worn concealer since. I long for the day where I don't have to wear concealer.

I am thinking though,that perhaps I have something wrong with my sinuses which may contribute, as they tend to 'leak' in any kind of cold weather (even very mild cold weather). Either that or I feel stuffy. It could also be related to the fact that around the same age I recall 'redness' around my nose from broken capillaries starting.

It could also be a liver/kidney thing. Who knows.

Mid/late 20s...acne prone combination skin, slight pitted acne scarring on cheek, freckles, sun spots, severe dark circles, broken capillaries around my nose, blackheads on nose...yeah, I'm a skin mess.
sjs89
5% products discount

Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
As it happens, the only reason I signed up to this place (I'm a guy) was to find a solution to my dark circles problem. It sounds like you have the same particular problem as me. I have horrible purple 'smears' under my eyes running all the way down to the eye socket. I've had them since childhood. From what I understand they are due to the thin eyelid skin allowing the colour of the muscle underneath, along with veins, to show through.

I tried countless creams with no major improvement. I do have the option of undergoing laser treatment at a local clinic to boost the collagen levels under the eye and hopefully thicken the skin but I'm unable to do that in the near future. In the meantime I was hoping to start using a concealer to at least cover the problem up. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good concealer for very dark circles that a guy could use?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
sjs89 wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations on a good concealer for very dark circles that a guy could use?

I use Bobbi Brown Corrector and then any other concealer on top of it. I apply the corrector precisely to the dark area only, I use an eye liner brush for this. This is the only product that really does make a difference.

I definitely have TT's. I hope to get filler later on this year.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
I'd be careful with fillers under the eyes! 

http://www.healthwikinews.com/caution-filler-injections-are-hazardous-to-treat-dark-circles/

Beautifulwonder, I get the same type of sinus issues in the cold weather and have small dark red broken caps around the outline of my nose. What is the possible connection to dark under eyes? 
Did your derm tell you if there was anything that could help? 

This is a really good thread on thickening the skin. Some things mentioned helping - lightstim, flexeffect and copper peptides.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=42220

I don't always wear makeup, I've gotten more used to this look as I've gotten older, it's who I am. Though if I want to look good and fresh all I need is a little concealer and lip gloss and I look so different yet no one knows I wear makeup, they think I don't.

The best concealer I have found and my favorite makeup line is Afterglow organic cosmetics. It's this very moisturizing and full coverage cream. I've also used a liquid one from Zuzu luxe I just picked up from Whole Foods and it's really nice too just lighter. 

http://afterglowcosmetics.com/organic-triple-eye-treatment/
sjs89
5% products discount

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
BYRG wrote:
I get the same type of sinus issues in the cold weather and have small dark red broken caps around the outline of my nose. What is the possible connection to dark under eyes? 

From what I've read a lot of the blood vessels connected to the sinus area also run along the under eye area.
sjs89
5% products discount

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
I think it's a tough call in respect of under eye fillers. There only seems to be one reported case of blindness. Of course this is a concern, but it's obviously a very rare occurance when you consider how many times this procedure is performed all over the world.

It's something that I'm considering, but I guess my concern with having thin skin is that the filler might show through the skin and just make the problem worse.

I would recommend to anyone that is interested in the tear trough filler treatment to visit realself's website. It allows you to post questions and pictures about cosmetic procedures and receive answers from lots of different cosmetic surgeons.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
sjs89 wrote:

From what I've read a lot of the blood vessels connected to the sinus area also run along the under eye area.

Hmm. Any treatment for that issue?
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
I wasn't advising against it, just warning on being careful who you choose to perform it that they know exactly what they are doing and have a good reputation. Check them out carefully first. 

I can't wait to be able to spend money to have some procedures done. I would try some of the laser treatments first, though it depends on the cause of it. I want to get rid of the large veins. I want to get laser treatments on everything that they can help with! Pigmentation, resurfacing, fine lines, stretchmarks, fillers for NLs. I even saw something on breast augmentation with your own stem cells and that looked interesting! 

So I'm deffinetely not against procedures as long as they are safe, non-toxic and natural looking. Lol! Right now I'm stuck with DIY!!!
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:56 am      Reply with quote
sjs89 wrote:
I think it's a tough call in respect of under eye fillers. There only seems to be one reported case of blindness. Of course this is a concern, but it's obviously a very rare occurance when you consider how many times this procedure is performed all over the world.

It's something that I'm considering, but I guess my concern with having thin skin is that the filler might show through the skin and just make the problem worse.

You absolutely want to do you own research and be aware of potential risks. You do want someone who skilled at TT's. Even with someone skilled there are never guarentee's, like with anything.

Everyone has thinner skin in the eye area. Filler is not placed superficially so the risk of the actual filler being visible should not be an issue. HA filler's can show blueish tint thru the skin if its not placed correctly. Concealer can usually take care of that. From what I understand its alot easier to cover up then the dark hallows themselves. The nice thing about a filler like juvederm is that it can be dissolved if you really hate it.
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:12 am      Reply with quote
I have dark circles and the sad part is they will NEVER go away, but you can diminish them.
The products I use that is helping my eyes look alot better are copper peptide, retinol, vitamin C. I also use dermaroller weekly and glycolic 8% daily and enzyme peel every 2 weeks. Occasional i use AALS

I also take msm, vitamin C powder, and cod liver oil. spirlina
sjs89
5% products discount

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
tasha92337 wrote:
I have dark circles and the sad part is they will NEVER go away, but you can diminish them.
The products I use that is helping my eyes look alot better are copper peptide, retinol, vitamin C. I also use dermaroller weekly and glycolic 8% daily and enzyme peel every 2 weeks. Occasional i use AALS

This may be a difficult question as you are using several treatments at once, but how effective has the dermaroller been for the under eye area? I was lead to believe that it wasn't really effective for thin skin under the eyes.
sjs89
5% products discount

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
tasha92337 wrote:

This may be a difficult question as you are using several treatments at once, but how effective has the dermaroller been for the under eye area? I was lead to believe that it wasn't really effective for thin skin under the eyes.
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:57 am      Reply with quote
I was wondering about the dermaroller as well in that area....seems too thin, but I would be game to try if it works.. Also, I thought there was some buzz about copper peptides being a bad idea, especially in the eye area...anyone heard of this?

I am really interested in thickening skin in the whole orbital eye area-- this was the first area to start looking dry, thin and lined in the last couple years. Lasers sound interesting but seem too sketchy as far as side effects go. Same thing with fillers, but then again I had a bad experience with juve filler just a couple months ago in the NL area and now I have to wait and hope the stuff will disolve and the lasting redness go away.

Some natural way to enhance this eye area overall would be great. I am just starting facial exercises and hoping that does something postitive.

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:47 am      Reply with quote
This isn't exactly a "powerhouse" kind of suggestion, but in case you haven't tried it before, I've had really great results from using gelatin. (My dark circles are certainly not severe though).

Just a half ml dissolved in maybe a teaspoon of boiling water - wipe onto undereyes after it cools to a soothing temperature, or soak onto mask sheets, apply & relax. Sometimes I do the backs of my hands, or my cheeks with any extra, but don't see anything too beneficial there. (It should also be in the recipe index, in case my recipe is stripped down or something.)
I was pretty surprised and pleased with how much healthier my undereyes looked after.

And sjs89, a colour corrector/concealer in "salmon" or orange works best to counteract the blue colour. It works great on fair or dark skins, and you can find inexpensive ones in the drugstore. They look really bright, but don't look that way on the skin over the darkness you're going to hide. Try to use a light eye cream beforehand (an inexpensive one or even just a light oil is fine - just use it as a barrier to protect). Let it sit for a minute, then take a tissue & blot any excess. Then just dot on the concealer with your finger, and maybe buff it in with a soft brush afterwards if you have one. Some people wear skin coloured concealer over it, but most don't find it necessary. It sounds like a lot for a guy, but "setting" it with a translucen powder helps to even it out and make it last. Blot again and then you can press the powder on with a puff or makeup sponge and then brush away any excess with a brush. I hope you find success and that that helps!

Lastly, please be very cautious everyone with those dermarollers - pricking delicate eye skin seems SO wrong to me!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
sjs89
5% products discount

Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the recommendations guys, I'll definitely take them on board.

jenp7 wrote:
I am just starting facial exercises and hoping that does something postitive.

jen, what facial exercises are you trying at the moment?

Also, just to fill you in on the laser treatment I am considering - it's the Nlite laser. It's specifically designed to treat the under eye area for wrinkles, but in theory it could also help thin skin as it's main purpose is to promote collagen production.

As lasers go it appears to be one of, if not the least harmful laser treatment out there as it only penetrates the upper layers of the skin. Its lack of potency is both an advantage and disadvantage - it's very safe and relatively cheap, but you have to keep going back every 6-12 months. The consultant I saw was also honest enough to admit that it is likely to only produce a 'subtle' improvement (she said up to 50% reduction in discolouration is more likely than 90-100%).

Also, it's worth mentioning that this consultant recommended me a vitamin C serum and an under eye cream for SkinCeuticals to help promote collagen production. She uses it herself. I've been using both for about 3 weeks now and there has been a slight brightening of the under eye area. I guess I'll have to wait and see if this is just the cream having a slight concealing effect or it is indeed slowly reducing the purpleness.
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I use the .5 dermaroller at least 4 times a week and do an aggressive roll once a month. I am planning on using a 1mm but for now I am getting good results with the .5
I forgot to mention that in addition to me using
Copper peptide "GHK" and CP night eyes, Retinol, Vitamin C serum, bi-weekly enzyme peel, and daily 8% glycolic serum for eyes, occasional AALS with pure aloe vera gel..I also spray pure 100% rose water on my eyes twice a day (morning and before bedtime)

The copper peptides only work when you intake vitamin C + msm in orange juice daily. I also take lots of cod liver oil and it already has vitamin A, vitamin D included. Smile
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
sjs- I am starting Carolyn's Facial Fitness program (you can google it)-- it was the most affordable of the facial exercise programs I could find and she was super great in communicating with me via email. I wanted to just spot treat the area since I am young and do not need to worry about a full face lift, but she insisted on the whole program being a beneficial preventative routine. There are a couple eye exercises (one I think is available free on her website) that are pretty great... I just started this week and it is supposed to take a while, so I will keep you posted. I did order Eva Fraser's book, too, since she also has a healthy following.

I have also heard that a good Vitamin C serum in that area might be beneficial, and after your feedback, I am definitely going to try it.

Lori- I have never heard of trying gelatin! Is this something you see cummulative benefits from, or is it mainly a temporary brightener?

SecretB5StopsAcne
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
1. Wear sunscreen with a minimum of SPF 30 under the eyes to prevent skin weakening caused by sun damage.

2. Get plenty of rest.

3. Apply plain cool teabags over closed eyes. Don’t use herbal teabags, because most aren't as effective.

4. Apply cool cucumber slices over closed eyes for 15 minutes.
This will surely help you.
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
tasha92337- did you experience and "uglies" using those copper products in the eye area?

hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
I would have an experienced doctor or nurse put filler under your eyes. I've seen it done and it works. Raddiase is white...and will take them away..and lasts a year.
I'd make some appointments at different plastic surgeons offices and get a feel for what could work.
Remember you get what you pay for...but a syringe of raddiasse should be around $700. and to get rid of them for a year and not think about it every time you look in the mirror? I'd say go for it!
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
I would have an experienced doctor or nurse put filler under your eyes. I've seen it done and it works. Raddiase is white...and will take them away..and lasts a year.
I'd make some appointments at different plastic surgeons offices and get a feel for what could work.
Remember you get what you pay for...but a syringe of raddiasse should be around $700. and to get rid of them for a year and not think about it every time you look in the mirror? I'd say go for it!
tasha92337
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
I had fillers...it did NOTHING
have you heard about STO Argan and Green Coffee product??
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:29 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |