Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Intermittent fasting/fasting
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Fairydogmother
5% products discount

Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
I have been reading several posts lately about the benefits of fasting or intermittent fasting. I am very interested in knowing more as I think this may be the BEST anti-aging thing available! It seems to be a tradition thousands of years old that has come full circle.

I lost the love of my life, Corky, last Tuesday. She was 16 years old. She was fine in the morning, then I lost her at the ER vet that evening. It was a shock and I am very devastated and heart broken. I went on the internet and researched everything I could about longevity in dogs. The common denominator in most of the long-lived dogs was that they were on the thinner side (underfed vs overfed). And a lot of these people fasted their dogs once in a while (like their wolf relatives). Of course, I felt crushing guilt cause I have always fed my babies well, and they are a lil on the pudgy side. So I am very interested in exploring IF or fasting further. It makes sense and there are so many studies about calorie restriction/fasting/IF and longevity.

So I am wondering if there are any of you exploring this? And are there any of you trying this with your dogs/cats? Most of what I found in regards to IF was meat diets, and I am vegan.

I would love any and all feed back!
Fairydogmother
5% products discount

Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:49 am      Reply with quote
I have been trying my own novice fasts here and there, just 24 hour water fasts. From what I've read, this is the absolute BEST thing to do for anti-aging and longevity. So once or twice a week I have been doing water fasts. It's hard cause I get splitting head aches and am ravenous. But every time I do this, the next morning when I look in the mirror my skin and eyes look AMAZING!!! No puffy eyes, no bags, firmer eyes, luminescent skin like I had in my 20s (I'm 45). I don't know the mechanism of why it shaves years off of you, but it seems to work. I think it has something to do with metabolic wastes? I notice that dogs who are on the thinner side act and look much, much younger, too. I am very interested in knowing more. Most of what I have read so far is a lot of body builders doing this for weight loss, but I am interested in this from an anti-aging standpoint.

Basically, the less I eat, the younger I look. The past few months I have been eating less and less (but still getting optimal nutrition). I notice that when I eat a lot or eat bad foods, the next morning I look haggard and I have puffy eyes. LOL

I think I read somewhere that the Okinawans live well into their hundreds and they typically eat a calorie restricted diet (?)

I figure calorie restriction/IF/fasting IS THE HOLY GRAIL of anti-aging. It costs nothing, is fairly easy to do, and is extremely healthy. I could be wrong, but this is my experience so far. Rather than spending hundreds/thousands $$ on some of the anti-aging products, I'd like to explore this as well.

I would love to hear from others who have experienced this.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Fairydogmother wrote:
I have been trying my own novice fasts here and there, just 24 hour water fasts. From what I've read, this is the absolute BEST thing to do for anti-aging and longevity. So once or twice a week I have been doing water fasts. It's hard cause I get splitting head aches and am ravenous. But every time I do this, the next morning when I look in the mirror my skin and eyes look AMAZING!!! No puffy eyes, no bags, firmer eyes, luminescent skin like I had in my 20s (I'm 45). I don't know the mechanism of why it shaves years off of you, but it seems to work. I think it has something to do with metabolic wastes? I notice that dogs who are on the thinner side act and look much, much younger, too. I am very interested in knowing more. Most of what I have read so far is a lot of body builders doing this for weight loss, but I am interested in this from an anti-aging standpoint.

Basically, the less I eat, the younger I look. The past few months I have been eating less and less (but still getting optimal nutrition). I notice that when I eat a lot or eat bad foods, the next morning I look haggard and I have puffy eyes. LOL

I think I read somewhere that the Okinawans live well into their hundreds and they typically eat a calorie restricted diet (?)

I figure calorie restriction/IF/fasting IS THE HOLY GRAIL of anti-aging. It costs nothing, is fairly easy to do, and is extremely healthy. I could be wrong, but this is my experience so far. Rather than spending hundreds/thousands $$ on some of the anti-aging products, I'd like to explore this as well.

I would love to hear from others who have experienced this.

Fairydogmother,

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog Corky. My heart goes out to you.

On the topic of intermittent fasting, come join us on this thread here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=42817

My personal experience is that eating a mostly low-fat raw vegan and doing intermittent fasting (IF) are the two most powerful dietary practices that I've personally experienced in my past decade of self experimentation Smile

I could rave all day about either. I personally have found them both to be exceptionally powerful when done in a balanced way over the long-term.

Oh, and I'm vegan and it's no problem to do IF.

Finally, there are lots of different variants of IF. I personally like the variant where you fast every day for something like 16-20 hours, rather than fasting once a week for 24 hours, or doing full or modified fasts every other day. (Those are the three main approaches to intermittent fasting that I know.) So you might want to experiment with one of the other approaches.

But yes, it is awesome and totally helping my cellulite go away (though slowly).

But yes, come join us on the thread here and post your response here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=42817

so that we can have all these discussions in the same place Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:41 am      Reply with quote
I've been doing IF daily for over 6 months and yes it does seem to have anti aging effects. Meal skipping is considered a big no-no in most people's minds due to the belief that the body goes in to "fat storage mode" or "survival mode" if deprived of food for even a few hours...... survival mode is what triggers the anti aging effects actually.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:12 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |