Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

will someone recommend a spf 30 for a 25 year old?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
harry_d
5% products discount

Sat May 05, 2012 5:41 am      Reply with quote
I use retin-a at night so would like a decent spf to use the following day.

Many of you said to get one that's zinc and/or titanium oxide based. So I bought Cosmetic skin Solutions' Broad Spectrum UV Shield spf 30 with zinc (8%) and titanium (8%), but it left a white patch on my face that's hard to rub in. So after 2 applications, i'm not using it anymore (gonna sell it if anyone in the uk would like it). It seems that most zinc based ones leave this white marking on your face as though you're applying white foundation - not good when i'm brown-skinned! Sad

I'vr also read to stay away from nano-zinc sunscreens - can someone confirm that?

Can anyone recommend some sunscreens they've used that don't leave the white bits? Would like some with other anti-ageing ingredients in too preferably, something like vitamin E and green/white tea extract.

Some zinc based sunscreens i've found that i would love opinions on if any of you have used them are:

LA Defense Spf 30
http://www.luzernlabs.com/cart/item/La_Defense_Spf_30.php

Simple Radiance Z-Shade
http://simpleradiance.com/online2/

Mineral fusion spf 30 brush-on
http://mineralfusion.com/skin_care/spf_protection/

Smart Girls Who WSurf spf 30
http://www.natural-alternative-products.co.uk/smart-girls-who-surf-nonwhitening-mineral-spf-30-p-7288.html?zenid=24ef37229a0595ac8c8fae1ef60d74fb

I know that last one says 'non-whitening' but you can never be too sure and i doubt i'd be allowed to return it once i've opened it. Plus it doesn't seem like it has much percentage of zinc?

any help welcomed!
AlcoholicArtist
5% products discount

Sat May 05, 2012 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Hey Harry, I too have your problem.
As I am a male, I hate sunscreens that leave me looking as though I wear pale foundation.

Your only option is to either get a chemical sunscreen or a one that is a mixture of chemical and physical.

I'm sure eyes are going to roll but the only sunscreen I have found that is a mixture of both and totally invisible is La Mer's, which is spf 30 and has zinc 10%. I think it only has a PPD of around 6, so depending on the amount of time you spend in the sun and of course your budget (it's £55.00 for 40 ml) it may or may not be a good choice for you.
harry_d
5% products discount

Sat May 05, 2012 7:18 am      Reply with quote
Had a look at the one you suggested and damn it is quite pricey!

I really want one I could use long-term and don't think that's one i'd like to shell out for time and time again.

Are you based in the UK too? It's so hard over here, most of the good-looking stuff seems to be in America and either they don't ship them internationally or it's really expensive to get shipped!
AlcoholicArtist
5% products discount

Sat May 05, 2012 11:09 am      Reply with quote
Yes Harry I'm in the UK, I know there's pretty much no good sunscreens here at all! It's because the whole region's ignorant towards sun protection :/
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 05, 2012 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Harry, of the brands you asked about I would go with the La Defense or the Simple Radiance. They both have great ingredients going for it besides the zinc and you could possibly go without using an additional moisturizer in the morning with using either one of them. I'm just guessing but I think the La Defense would be more cosmetically elegant therefore less likely to give you the white face look. It also has 14% zinc would should give you plenty of protection.

A brand you may also want to consider is Devita, you can buy it here on EDS. A lot of people on the forum like it, here are some reviews:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31436
harry_d
5% products discount

Sun May 06, 2012 2:19 am      Reply with quote
Hey Jon, thanks for the Devita recommendation! The only thing that worries me about it is the fact it contains Hyaluronic Acid. I've stayed away from the ingredient since i heard it can be bad for the skin, especially for your younger skin. Apparently breaks down the skin barrier?

Therefore I think i may opt for the LA Defense, was hoping others may have tried it. And it's £36 a bottle - anyone know how long a 60ml bottle should last?
harry_d
5% products discount

Sun May 06, 2012 2:54 am      Reply with quote
p.s. i actually didn't even think of using a sunscreen and moisturiser together. Maybe my first task should be to find a decent moisturiser and try using it with my current sunscreen, it may takes away some of the white mist!
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 06, 2012 3:35 am      Reply with quote
harry_d wrote:
Hey Jon, thanks for the Devita recommendation! The only thing that worries me about it is the fact it contains Hyaluronic Acid. I've stayed away from the ingredient since i heard it can be bad for the skin, especially for your younger skin. Apparently breaks down the skin barrier?

Therefore I think i may opt for the LA Defense, was hoping others may have tried it. And it's £36 a bottle - anyone know how long a 60ml bottle should last?

The sunscreen I use is 2 oz. and it lasts 2-3 months so you should be able to make the 3.3 oz last for 3-4 months.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 06, 2012 6:32 am      Reply with quote
Harry_d I presume you got that information about hyaluronic acid from a Skinbiology e-mail? AFAIK there is no scientific evidence to back up that claim.
http://www.skincaretalk.com/t/34102/hyaluronic-acid-damages-the-skin
In addition to the above I would note that I have skin barrier issues (atopic eczema/ contact dermatitis) yet can use products containing HA without issue. I also recommend Devita - either the Body Block or the Rx Ultrasolar 50.

Do be aware that you will only get the stated SPF if you use enough product, with powders that is impossible. Simple radiance is full of chemical sunscreen agents which are not good for the skin. IIRC you are supposed to use half a teaspoon (2.5ml) for the face and neck, so 60ml should last 24 applications.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
harry_d
5% products discount

Sun May 06, 2012 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Yes Firefox, I read that on Skin Bio, but thanks for the link to that thread, i read it briefly (i'm so impatient) but i understand the jist of it is that too much of it, just like wetting your skin for too long, can be a bad thing, but it's okay in moderation and as long as it's well-balanced. I think then it might actually be okay in a moisturiser where there's lots of other ingredients too.

What do you think to the other spf's that i posted of, Firefox?
Shadowvenuz
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 06, 2012 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hi. Currently using Clinique's Sun SPF face cream. Been using it for almost 9 months now. Doesnt make my face feel oily, and also none of the white bits that you're referring to.

Another brand which i know my beautician use is called True Solutions. It was specifically created to cater to the Australian weather.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 06, 2012 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
harry_d wrote:

What do you think to the other spf's that i posted of, Firefox?

LA Defense: aloe vera is one of my favourite ingredients and has proven anti-ageing properties, green tea has a good pedigree also. Not convinced that hydrolysed rice protein will do anything more than act as a humectant (hydrate). This would be my choice of the two - my bias being that I have sensitive skin so like a short ingredients list.

Smart Girls: don't see the point in adding titanium to get an SPF30, could have just used more micronised zinc. Not enough vitamin C to do anything given its position(s) in the ingredients list. A lot of fluffy extracts and oils that won't do much. I'm guessing that would be more difficult to remove, which might be a positive or negative attribute depending on your skincare routine and lifestyle.

The sunscreens most often recommended for their texture and finish are Devita, Burnout and Pratima. Of the three Devita most closely meet your criteria IMO. Might be worth your running an advanced search over on Skincaretalk forums on your two sunscreen contenders and any of the three I mentioned? There is a very active skin lightening community so it's highly likely those with darker skin tones who are serious about sun protection have commented on the transparency/ white cast.

If you try anything that you can purchase in the UK I'd be interested in your reviews.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
harry_d
5% products discount

Mon May 07, 2012 10:15 am      Reply with quote
thanks Firefox! Been looking them up for the past hour or so, being indecisive between the Devita one and the La Defense one. Would've liked the Devita one to have more ingredients in, e.g. green tea, but nonetheless, i could not ignore all the people going on about it so i've opted for it Smile

Thanks for your advice and help, much appreciated.
Lily234
5% products discount

Tue May 08, 2012 5:03 am      Reply with quote
SunSense Daily Face Sunscreen SPF50+

has anyone used this?

I've been using it for a while and it doesnt feel like I have sunscreen on at all...completelt matt finish with a bit of a tint...says its spf 50 but how do I know if its acually protecting the skin..?
harry_d
5% products discount

Tue May 08, 2012 5:42 am      Reply with quote
Lily234 wrote:
SunSense Daily Face Sunscreen SPF50+

has anyone used this?

I've been using it for a while and it doesnt feel like I have sunscreen on at all...completelt matt finish with a bit of a tint...says its spf 50 but how do I know if its acually protecting the skin..?

There doesn't seem to be any zinc in that one and there's some parabens too.

I've just come across this argan oil based one, ingedients look really good. Just emailed the manufacturer to ask whether it leaves a white tint.

http://www.100percentpure.co.uk/ARGAN-OIL-FACIAL-MOISTURIZER-SPF-30-p/1fmaohspf30.htm

Quote:
Active Ingredients: 24.8 % Zinc Oxide

Inactive Ingredients: Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice1, Rgania Spinosa Kernel (Argan) Oil, Rosa Canina Seed (Rosehip Oil) Extract, Tocopherol
(Vitamin E), Extracts of: Euphorbia Cerifera Cera (Candelilla Wax), Organic Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf2,
Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf, Origanum Vulgar (Oregano), Thymus
Vulgaris (Thyme), Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit Seed) Seed, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal), Lonicera Caprifolium
(Japanese Honeysuckle) and Cinnamomum Zeylanicum Bark (Cinnamon)
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2012 3:07 am      Reply with quote
If you don't mind ordering from abroad- the best one I have found is La Roche Posay Hydraphase spf 30 - the Canadian version. Part physical (titanium dioxide) and part chemical (4 % mexoryl sx).

I have read that the La Mer isn't the best for UVA protection- for zinc sunscreens most people prefer having 18% upwards.
kasisalo

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:26 am      Reply with quote
hi i have tried many facial sunscreens over the years with no luck i was always breaking out in spots or it would irritate my eyes then i tried suntegrity its not one of your cheapest products but you only need a pea size amount for face its not got any harsh chemicals and takes only a minute or so to sink in it has a nice orange smell that you only smell when you first apply(it doesn't have an annoying strong smell that lasts) also it only has a slight lighter look on your skin which goes within a couple of minutes after applying its spf 30 you can buy this from the tina richards web site the same lady who sells the tua trend product or you can buy this from america not sure of the site though it feels good on the skin almost like a primer like i said i have never found a facial sun screen that ticks all the boxes until now and would never use any thing else as i am moving from the uk to australia very soon this has been a great find as it is something that i can use every day and will not irritate my sensitive skin they also do this for the body and there is one for babies hope this helps
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |