Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Microfiber or Muslin cloth for men?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
JamesII

Sat May 19, 2012 4:04 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I'm a man and I am looking know which is better for exfoliation: either a Muslin cloth or a Microfiber cloth?

I am under the impression that some solution is required when using either of these cloths, they not to be used with soap however, more a solution like Retin-a and C, but that was advice from a female forum.

Has anybody got any preference for either of these products, I have oily skin around te nose and upper cheek area.

Thanks.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2012 11:53 am      Reply with quote
Welcome! Smile I believe microfibre can be used with plain water or a gentle face wash, muslin works well with a gentle wash or lotion cleanser and water. I love my cotton muslin cloths because they are gentle yet effective and cheap enough to purchase loads so can be laundered regularly for hygiene.

You do not need to use Retin-A or vitamin C alongside, just a moisturising sunscreen. What face wash are you using at present? If it contains alkaline soaps or sulphate surfactants it may be causing or contributing to your oiliness. Do you have flaking on the upper cheeks too?

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
JamesII

Sun May 20, 2012 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Ah, so the microfiber or muslin cloths are *not* for use with n exfoliator, I see. I saw some knobbly gloves which I though were for use with the exfoliator, but I suspect they're for use with a moisturisor like you say [for the cloths], and for the body as well?

The Muslin one's do have the appeal of being cheap, but the Microfiber ones, I read, really empty the pores - thoughts on this?

I don't think I'd launder them though, the Muslin one's I would see as single or dual use i.e. disposable, while the Microfiber ones exchanged every six months or so, again, any thoughts on this?

I actually have a cheap body wash which I use for my face as well, it removes the oil build up, which what my condition has mostly been, just less so now as I approach my thirties. I thought the Retin-A or vitamin C had to be used with the cloths, I don't what you mean when you say I have to use a "moisturising sunscreen", that is for keeps right, not for washing off?

I found a video here of some exfoliators, I think I'll try the oatmeal one for my oily skin, I have been looking at other moisturisor DIY solutions, but I don't have stuff like Vit-E handy obviously, so what moisturisor would I be looking at for use with a Microfiber that might be commercial - to give me an idea.

ref: "DIY: Facial Scrubs" on YouTube by akaydoll (can't post URLs)

I still am left unsure as to whether I actually need to use a cloth or not, I thought it might be one or the other: either an exfoliation serum, or perhaps a cloth to remove the dead skin and unclog the pores, perhaps both together (although I see that's not the way now), but am still holding out for ideas on the use of the cloth because they remove the dirty from the pores.

Can I use an exfoliator one day and then the cloth another, what's the routine?

Thanks for your time!
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 10:18 am      Reply with quote
The second page of this thread has lots of good info about what makes microfibre so good at attracting/clearing oil and dirt off skin:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=25631

Cotton/muslin cloths will perhaps be gentler, but not as thorough at attracting oil/dirt & exfoliating. This isn't a bad thing - a lot of people go overboard trying to scrub out every trace of oil, which irritates the skin causing it to produce more oil trying to protect itself.

You don't need to use any product together with any cloth. Retin-A & Vit c are treatments you might want to read up about and have nothing to do with cloths - and you may not feel you need them. Again, no need to go overboard. Introduce one new thing to your routine at a time.

You can alternate with an exfoliating product one day (i.e. your diy oatmeal), cloth the next, whatever you want. You might want to try each new thing just once every few days at first to gage how your skin reacts to it.

You must use a sunscreen (& not wash off) in the daytime though to protect yourself from sun damage. If its moisturizing too, you won't need a seperate moisturizer, especially if your skin isn't dry.

As FF said, rethink your use of body wash on your face as its probably wreaking havoc on your skin.

You need to launder any cloths - why waste if you don't need to? By a ton at once and throw them in their own load of laundry every couple weeks. You need to wash microfibre seperately from all other fabrics. With cotton/muslin you can throw them in with your regular laundry. You only need to replace microfibre if you don't take care of them properly.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 11:01 am      Reply with quote
JamesII wrote:
Ah, so the microfiber or muslin cloths are *not* for use with n exfoliator, I see. I saw some knobbly gloves which I though were for use with the exfoliator, but I suspect they're for use with a moisturisor like you say [for the cloths], and for the body as well?

The Muslin one's do have the appeal of being cheap, but the Microfiber ones, I read, really empty the pores - thoughts on this?

I don't think I'd launder them though, the Muslin one's I would see as single or dual use i.e. disposable, while the Microfiber ones exchanged every six months or so, again, any thoughts on this?

I actually have a cheap body wash which I use for my face as well, it removes the oil build up, which what my condition has mostly been, just less so now as I approach my thirties. I thought the Retin-A or vitamin C had to be used with the cloths, I don't what you mean when you say I have to use a "moisturising sunscreen", that is for keeps right, not for washing off?

I found a video here of some exfoliators, I think I'll try the oatmeal one for my oily skin, I have been looking at other moisturisor DIY solutions, but I don't have stuff like Vit-E handy obviously, so what moisturisor would I be looking at for use with a Microfiber that might be commercial - to give me an idea.

I still am left unsure as to whether I actually need to use a cloth or not, I thought it might be one or the other: either an exfoliation serum, or perhaps a cloth to remove the dead skin and unclog the pores, perhaps both together (although I see that's not the way now), but am still holding out for ideas on the use of the cloth because they remove the dirty from the pores.

Thanks for your time!

I haven't used microfibre for skin, but it does gives a superior finish for household cleaning compared with regular cloths - I hate housework so anything that makes it easier is a win! I am sure microfibre for face is equally effective but I don't see how it is possible to clean inside pores, given what I know about skin physiology. Unless you are using it in conjunction with the Oil Cleansing Method and/ or steaming in which case it is the OCM or steam softening the clogs that extracts them.

Muslin launders very well and is long lasting, tho not as long lasting as microfibre. You need to wash any cloth regularly, bacteria can double every 20 minutes given ideal conditions. Bear in mind sebum and dead skin are a rich source of protein and fat - food for bacteria. Another reason I like muslin is how fast a cloth dries - a dry environment is inhospitable to bacteria. It's not eco-friendly to throw away reusable cloths so please don't. Exfoliating gloves are generally for the body, far too harsh for the face.

You should not exfoliate daily or you will damage the protective stratus corneum, so if you use a cloth just enough wiping to remove your cleanser. The skin barrier holds water in and keeps bacteria out, chemicals out, transports goodies in, so is more than just dead skin. Then spend a little more time wiping/ gently rubbing perhaps twice a week. You can certainly alternate different methods - I use my cloths daily and a light lactic acid peel every couple of weeks.

Body wash for the face really is not a good idea. Irritate your skin and it will pump out more sebum or thicken the surface layer to protect itself leaving you oily, flaky or even both!! Sulphate surfactants found in commercial shower gels are known irritants down to 1-2%, for reference shampoo contains ~20%. Shock I found quitting using sulphates made my T-zone and scalp less greasy overnight but some find their skin takes a couple of weeks to readjust. Ditto rough scrubs and irritation, oatmeal is gentle use that if you prefer but not scratchy sugar nor baking soda which is highly alkaline. Do bear in mind much irritation and inflammation takes place at the cellular level so is invisible.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
JamesII

Mon May 21, 2012 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
JamesII wrote:

Thanks for your time!

I haven't used microfibre for skin, but it does gives a superior finish for household cleaning compared with regular cloths - I hate housework so anything that makes it easier is a win! I am sure microfibre for face is equally effective but I don't see how it is possible to clean inside pores, given what I know about skin physiology. Unless you are using it in conjunction with the Oil Cleansing Method and/ or steaming in which case it is the OCM or steam softening the clogs that extracts them.

Muslin launders very well and is long lasting, tho not as long lasting as microfibre. You need to wash any cloth regularly, bacteria can double every 20 minutes given ideal conditions. Bear in mind sebum and dead skin are a rich source of protein and fat - food for bacteria. Another reason I like muslin is how fast a cloth dries - a dry environment is inhospitable to bacteria. It's not eco-friendly to throw away reusable cloths so please don't. Exfoliating gloves are generally for the body, far too harsh for the face.

You should not exfoliate daily or you will damage the protective stratus corneum, so if you use a cloth just enough wiping to remove your cleanser. The skin barrier holds water in and keeps bacteria out, chemicals out, transports goodies in, so is more than just dead skin. Then spend a little more time wiping/ gently rubbing perhaps twice a week. You can certainly alternate different methods - I use my cloths daily and a light lactic acid peel every couple of weeks.

Body wash for the face really is not a good idea. Irritate your skin and it will pump out more sebum or thicken the surface layer to protect itself leaving you oily, flaky or even both!! Sulphate surfactants found in commercial shower gels are known irritants down to 1-2%, for reference shampoo contains ~20%. Shock I found quitting using sulphates made my T-zone and scalp less greasy overnight but some find their skin takes a couple of weeks to readjust. Ditto rough scrubs and irritation, oatmeal is gentle use that if you prefer but not scratchy sugar nor baking soda which is highly alkaline. Do bear in mind much irritation and inflammation takes place at the cellular level so is invisible.

Yes, there was a lot of detail there, it put my mind at ease and seems like almost all Microfiber cloths are the same, any deviation would add to the cost of manufacturing, so there will be a level of consistency if I decide to go that route.

It's interesting to know that I do not need to use any moisturisor when applying the Microfiber cloth, I'd feel strange about that, just one warm wet skin then ahy?

I have oily skin and can confirm that I never go outdoors, lest of all in the sun, I absolutely hate, just hate, sun tan lotion, I hate anything on my face.

On the Bodyshop note, if it's bad for my face then it must be bad for my body right?! I know the skin is different, but I'm poor right now and I don't think it's going to matter much, it's a double-dip recession here, so there we are.

It looks like I can have my cake and eat it, I always thought exfoliation involved a serum of some kind, that's why I looked for the recipe, but then did some research on the cloth, one on one day and then the other, I'm sure it's all trial error.

So it's a Microfiber cloth one day, with warm water and the oatmeal exfoliation mix another, good.

Thanks for your help!
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Sunscreen has changed, it's not all the thick sticky stuff of our childhood now! Cosmetic companies are making products especially for the face that women would be willing to wear under their make up and, as you know, we are a fussy bunch! Laughing With micronised zinc you should not even know there is any sun protection in there - for example, the Devita Rx Ultrasolar 50 has a very light lotion feel on application, no greasiness whatsoever, no white cast, just vanishes. In contrast the Devita Body Block/ Solar Protective are both dewier/ richer so more for someone with drier skin (but still not greasy or white). You don't need to wear sunscreen if you are indoors and away from windows at all times, but you do if you drive or work near a window because UV can penetrate glass and bounce off concrete into the shade.

Sulphate surfactants in most shower gels, shampoos, hand washes and many face washes dehydrate and thin the skin. No they are not healthy for the body either, but they are less of a problem away from the face and neck. Firstly skin is thinner on the face so tends to be more reactive, secondly we have different amounts of sebaceous glands on different parts of the body so the face and scalp can become very oily and the limbs can become very dry. Thirdly the face takes a lot of abuse - exposure to sun and pollution, absent mindedly touching and rubbing it, shaving or make up ... Assuming you have no skin issues, definitely use the shower gel up on your body or hands, just use a much gentler product on the face and see whether your skin becomes less oily as a result.

HTH! Smile

DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
Just agreeing with LoriA and Firefox.

For oily skin, believe it or not, less is more.

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
JamesII, I guess you were referring to the microfibre link?
I wouldn't say all microfibre cloths are the same. I came across one that was very smooth & shiny/satiny on one side, and velvety/flocked on the other, which I wouldn't say worked well on skin at all. Just try 3 or 4 different kinds (the cheap ones) and pick whichever you prefer.

But I will warn you to be EXTREMELY gentle - just barely drag it across the skin, seriously. Most of us suffer "rugburn" on first use since they're so deceivingly soft. To this day, I believe I'm being too aggressive with my use... for some reason its hard to not want to give the skin a good scrub! But its not necessary - it picks up all oil & dead skin without effort, I promise.

What I do is wet the cloth under very hot water, drape it across my face, steam for a half minute, which softens the skin, and then wipe. I have oily skin and unless I've worn makeup, I don't use anything else but water & the cloth.
So yeah, I'm in total agreement with DragoN.

And actually microfibre dries way, way more quickly than regular washcloths - probably not as quickly as a thin cotton, but incredibly fast. (Btw, never throw them in the dryer, it ruins their delicate fibres.)

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
JamesII

Wed May 23, 2012 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, well I usually do all my exfoliating in the shower, I'd have expected to do it then, not to set some time aside, all at once. I fancy the idea of using a microfiber cloth because I read it can such the pores clean, which is my main concern.

The skin can be removed with an exfoliant, but then it's quite a process to encourage the pores to give up their contents so if the microfiber cloth can do it, then I'll give them a shot.

Thanks for the info on being careful, I've read it many times, it seems like a common problem.
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 24, 2012 8:17 am      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:

And actually microfibre dries way, way more quickly than regular washcloths - probably not as quickly as a thin cotton, but incredibly fast.

Very true. I have microfibre gym/ hair/ tea towels, cleaning cloths and fitness clothing and I can air dry a load of laundry indoors in half a day. Very Happy

cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Firefox wrote:
You should not exfoliate daily or you will damage the protective stratus corneum, so if you use a cloth just enough wiping to remove your cleanser

So with the microfiber cloths, are you saying that if we use they daily, we need to be gentle? Or is it best not to use them daily? Thanks!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Not Firefox, but I do actually use them.

If you're gentle enough with them - like a lot of people here apparently are - there shouldn't be any problem with everyday use.

If you tend to go overboard, it wouldn't be a good idea to use them daily.

Microfibre is amazing, so let's not give it a bad rap. Loads of people use them (and other products people like to warn us about) responsibly and successfully without any problems whatsoever.

Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:10 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
Firefox wrote:
You should not exfoliate daily or you will damage the protective stratus corneum, so if you use a cloth just enough wiping to remove your cleanser

So with the microfiber cloths, are you saying that if we use they daily, we need to be gentle? Or is it best not to use them daily? Thanks!

Agree with LoriA I think you can use microfibre daily with a very light touch and you don't have sensitive or irritated skin. If you are only gently wiping away the residue of an easy rinse cleanser you are not deliberately exfoliating.

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:17 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |