Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Poor skin elasticity - How to improve?! Need suggestions <
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Poll :: How to improve skin elasticity?

Vitamin C
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Fish oil
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Other
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

mikey90
5% products discount

Sun May 20, 2012 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
So, when I smile...on the right side of my mouth I get 2 deep creases. And in the last few months I noticed I had thin "smile lines" on my face that do not go away.

When I smile, the creases form and then when I STOP smiling it leaves deep lines on my skin...which fade eventually but still the thin fine lines remain.

So, my skin isn't very elastic. The thing is, is I am only 21.

What can I do to improve my skins ability to "bounce back" after I smile or make an expression?

Because I am 21 I am *hoping* I still can repair this problem. 3 years of smoking 10-15 smokes a day really was a bad, bad decision and I am upset about it.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
I'd suggest a vitamin c serum (search on EDS, there are many good ones). And consistent use of sunscreen. Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration, which can make your skin look worse. Hope it helps!
mikey90
5% products discount

Sun May 20, 2012 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
I'd suggest a vitamin c serum (search on EDS, there are many good ones). And consistent use of sunscreen. Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration, which can make your skin look worse. Hope it helps!

Yeah I'v been hoping to try and make my own C serum, but from all the different threads I'v read, it seems to still be up for debate if it is "stable" or not / the different forms of vitamin C.

I have vitamin c powder and was hoping to simply mix it with water for a simple method of applying it, but I'm not sure that'd be good enough.
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
My picks: Cosmetic Skin Solutions C/E/Ferulic and Invisible Zinc Environmental Skin Protector spf 30
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
You didn't include Vit A, which means you have a LOT to learn about skin! Vit A and C are what you need to regenerate collagen/elastin. Knowledge is power!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
You didn't include Vit A, which means you have a LOT to learn about skin! Vit A and C are what you need to regenerate collagen/elastin. Knowledge is power!

Bethany, is there a skincare multi you recommend or do you take several individual vitamins?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
Retin A or Retinol, and CEF are my gold standard go to products. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mikey,

Skinceuticals C with Phloretin is supposed to be good for oily skin you could use that in the morning or maybe this one from PSF

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/psf-vitamin-c-serum-15-wi-p_7212.htm

Then at night you could use the Green Cream

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/advanced-skin-technology-p_12021.htm

Also, gain some weight and you'll probably see some improvement.
Luminosity
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

What is CEF? And... These are topicals, right?

I have some Retin A but am afraid to use it thinking my skin will react... Which it's been doing lately.

I need to take some good internal vities too...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
Luminosity wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

What is CEF? And... These are topicals, right?

I have some Retin A but am afraid to use it thinking my skin will react... Which it's been doing lately.

I need to take some good internal vities too...

Yes it is Vitamin C LAA, Vitamin E and Ferulic Acid, can be purchased or DIY.

I had no problems with RA but my skin does not tend to react negatively to anything!

You could try it and go very slow, or a less irritating retinol? Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 11:43 pm      Reply with quote
Just started Retin A last night and my skin has been fine so far. Do you think it is necessary to wear sunscreen indoors if you are using Retin A? Also what happens if you go to a 1.5 hour hot yoga class and you are sweating so all the sunscreen comes off? Are you at risk of being burnt if the room has windows to the outside?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 20, 2012 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
Moon wrote:
Just started Retin A last night and my skin has been fine so far. Do you think it is necessary to wear sunscreen indoors if you are using Retin A? Also what happens if you go to a 1.5 hour hot yoga class and you are sweating so all the sunscreen comes off? Are you at risk of being burnt if the room has windows to the outside?

I do use a sunscreen daily I am in South Florida, sun is brutal! I believe with Retin A sunscreen is a must!!!! I would reapply as soon as possible after your classes! Even during if you get a break during that class. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 9:03 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Moon wrote:

I do use a sunscreen daily I am in South Florida, sun is brutal! I believe with Retin A sunscreen is a must!!!! I would reapply as soon as possible after your classes! Even during if you get a break during that class. Very Happy

Be careful of your eyes if you think sweating will cause it to run there... I used a simple antioxidant spray (Jane Iredale) and steamed my face thinking I was doing myself a neat two-for-one trick. Ha! Instead it all pooled in my eyes and they were bloodshot for two days and hurt. Never doing that again! Rolling Eyes

If I were you, I wouldn't put RA on before a hot yoga class at all... You could easily do that afterwards when your system is cooler and your face clean. But that's just me... Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 9:06 am      Reply with quote
The only topical that I am aware of that is somewhat proven to impact elasticity, is progesterone (would love to know of others.)

I just posted a link on the actives thread.

Thanks, BFG
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 9:27 am      Reply with quote
Take Vitamin C internally as well as topically. It builds collagen. Another good vitamin to take is Biosil. It's good for hair and skin. Good for collagen production.
mikey90
5% products discount

Mon May 21, 2012 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
I know retin a is a good option for fine lines, but I have heard about people getting large pores and an "orange peel" skin texture?

does that happen frequently? Sad
Luminosity
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
mikey90 wrote:
I know retin a is a good option for fine lines, but I have heard about people getting large pores and an "orange peel" skin texture?

Yikes!! Not what I would be hoping for...! Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
mikey90 wrote:

I've not heard of that being a common side effect. But Retin a can cause irritation. You may want to start with a retinol product first.

Don't start too many new things all at once. Start one, give it a few weeks to see how your skin reacts before adding more.

Since you are young, another thing you may want to look at is your diet. Good fats are not the enemy - they are great for skin. Nuts, fish, olive oil. Plenty of fruits and veggies.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
mikey90 wrote:

Retin A can make your skin look somewhat orange.
havana8

Fri May 25, 2012 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure if you've seen these threads: Smile

Skin Barrier and Elastin
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=30688

Any products to increase elastin in skin?
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=42076
miss mei
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:04 am      Reply with quote
Essential fatty acids found in fish oils are like the mortar that holds bricks together, it also helps to plump up your skin.

I love fish oils and vitamin C. I use both as supplements and vitamin C serum on my skin and love it.

CoQ10 topically helps to inhibit collagenase (the enzyme that breaks down collagen which keeps our skin resilient and bouncy)

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:18 am      Reply with quote
I'm not seeing the connection between the subject line of this thread and the responses, but maybe someone can clue me in.

BFG
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried a 3Mhz ultrasound device?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I'm not seeing the connection between the subject line of this thread and the responses, but maybe someone can clue me in.

BFG

Not really, but I would add massage as almost 20 years has kept my skin very elastic at 58, plus a little help in the gene pool? Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
miss mei wrote:
Essential fatty acids found in fish oils are like the mortar that holds bricks together, it also helps to plump up your skin.

I love fish oils and vitamin C. I use both as supplements and vitamin C serum on my skin and love it.

CoQ10 topically helps to inhibit collagenase (the enzyme that breaks down collagen which keeps our skin resilient and bouncy)

I totally agree with all that..

When it comes to a great collagen/elastin foundation, prevention of it's degradation is a whole lot easier than trying to cure.

Here are a few links I found useful in my quest for a nice, healthy skin, and the all important support structure:

The Science Of The Dermis; Dr Leslie Baumann (short + sweet here, much more available with a google search!)
https://www.skintypesolutions.com/newsletters/174-the-science-of-the-dermis

Will give you great understanding of the "Elastic Fiber Network": (Some scary parts about how early the damage is done..Sad )
http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v78/n5/pdf/5615449a.pdf

This will link you to one of my searches for (elastogenesis in aged skin).. The majority are free.. Other skin geeks will find much of it useful.
http://www.nature.com/search/executeSearch?sp-q=elastogenesis+in+aged+skin&sp-p=all&include-collections=journals_nature%2Ccrawled_content&exclude-collections=journals_palgrave%2Clab_animal&pag-start=1&sp-c=25&sp-m=0&sp-s=date_descending&sp-q-1=JID

Long-term evaluation of collagen and elastin following infrared irradiation (6 pg) ; (Conclusion: Infrared irradiation provides safe and effective long-term stimulation of collagen I and III and elastin, which is beneficial for improving skin laxity and wrinkles.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0PDG/is_8_8/ai_n32457792/?tag=content;col1

The effects of 0.1% copper-zinc malonate-containing cream on elastin biosynthesis.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19400831

(check out Obagi'e 'Elastiderm line' for this ingredient.) Here's some marketing material on it;
http://www.serenitybystephanie.com/obagi/ELASTIderm.pdf

And since UVA + UVB radiation is probably 80% responsible for the destruction of our skins all important scaffolding/foundation, please have a look at this;

Potential of herbs in skin protection from ultraviolet radiation:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3263051/?tool=pubmed

Antioxidants (good info!)
http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/Antioxidants.shtml

Y'all just knew you weren't gonna get away without me pushing my beloved botanicals and antioxidants at ya... Laughing (Especially when it's my main means of SPF most days...) Shocking, I know... Shock

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |