Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review and questions on the Refa Carat
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
winewine
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Finally received my Refa Carat directly from Japan 3 days ago, and started using it that evening. It's only been 3 days and so it is not gonna be a thorough review but just a few thoughts.

The packaging looks very nice and professional. It even came with a silky pouch and a cleaning cloth. When you first look at the Refa Pro, you will find it odd, even offensive looking. Go take a look at their website.

http://www.mtg-en.com/products/carat.html

It claims to provide a microcurrent when you roll it over your skin. Here is what they say:

"Human skin normally has weak electrical current flowing through it to begin with. This current is thought to be one of the elements that keeps skin appearance firm, resilient and beautiful. ReFa absorbs light through a solar panel and generates a weak electrical “microcurrent” that is very similar to the body’s own current. Daily treatment with the roller on the surface of your skin affects skin texture, making its appearance supple, shiny and firm."

And this is the gadget claimed to be used by the 40 year-old Japanese lady who looks like 22.
http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/masako-mizutani-japans-lady-of-eternal-youth.html

Okay, here comes my very brief review. I took the refa carat out of the box and put it out under my table lamp for over 2 hours (It runs on solar power), just to make sure it is charged.

Then I started using it on my face. Honest, I didn't feel a thing except that I feel the slight pinching due to the odd angles of the two roller balls pulling on my skin. It did feel good, because it is almost like doing a massage with two metal spoon.

Do my skin looks any firmer? Maybe to early to say. The one problem I have is, I can't even tell if it is working - there is no light, no beeps.......

I saw from a few posts that a couple EDSers got good result from it. Can someone share their experience?

I will keep on using it and might write an update if I see any improvement.
nycatlover
5% products discount

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
I have the original version and used it since January. I really like how it feels and I do think it does help to keep my skin firm.
winewine
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
nycatlover wrote:
I have the original version and used it since January. I really like how it feels and I do think it does help to keep my skin firm.

Hi nycatlover,

Good to know that someone is getting a good result. I will keep on using it then come back for a follow-up review!

One question, how can you tell the machine is working? That's the part that puzzled me......

Winnie
nycatlover
5% products discount

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry this is probably not going to be too helpful but I just assume that it is working.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
I did not like the original but recently ordered and had been using the Carat, and love it.

I definitely helps with muscle issues, and the back of the neck, but I do the whole neck/face in the morning and there is an immediate difference in the freshness of the face (it is more "awake").

The important part that I somehow did not do before is to keep the "battery window" opened during the massage (I think in the past I kept my hand over it). I watched the tutorial on their website and found it to be very useful in terms of the movements.

HTH

5% products discount

Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hello! I've been a long time lurker and this is my first post. Well, I think it's my first post. It's been so long since I registered. Smile

I've been using the Refa Pro daily - and loving it - for the past 10 days. It arrived beautifully boxed with satin dust bag, cleaning cloth, dvd and booklet. Definitely a luxury item - and better than a lot of jewelry I own!

I considered buying the Carat but, honestly, I know my husband would give me a hard time and I wouldn't hear the end of it due to the Carat's shape. I'm serious.

Anyway, I really love using the Refa Pro and feel that it has been a beneficial and easy to use beauty tool. No batteries, plug ins, gel or water - just pick it up and use. I think it's great for lymphatic drainage and start my session with my neck area.

My concerns are my neck, jaw line definition, forming jowls, and keeping my chubby cheeks lifted. So far, it's been working on my cheeks. I see more contour of my cheekbones and some slimming of the face.

I don't think the Refa's solar panel holds a charge but works on available light (sunlight or artificial.) I've felt the microcurrent charge on my scalp, so I know it's working. I have a NuFace Trinity which gives off that same pulse on my scalp when I do my forehead. It's subtle, but I do notice it. I haven't noticed any other microcurrent pulsing on other areas.

I use the Refa after cleansing and toning, and just recently, after doing a red/infrared LED light treatment.

Side note: I added the LED treatment after seeing PhotoQueen's posts on layering his treatments. Thank you for sharing that (and so many other things), PQ! This Board and its members are amazing!!

I like the long roller as it fits nicely on my cheeks, along the contours of my face, neck, etc. and right along the jawbone and cheekbones. I also use the point of the handle for targeting of specific muscles. I flip it, hold it and/or roll it on one roller or two rollers, according to how it best fits the area I'm treating so I consider it quite versatile.

The microcurrent charge goes throughout the device so you can have fun and experiment how you use it. The Instruction Manual shows different uses and how to hold it.

So far, this is one of my favorite beauty gadgets. Thanks for reading my post on the Refa Pro!
winewine
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
I did not like the original but recently ordered and had been using the Carat, and love it.

I definitely helps with muscle issues, and the back of the neck, but I do the whole neck/face in the morning and there is an immediate difference in the freshness of the face (it is more "awake").

The important part that I somehow did not do before is to keep the "battery window" opened during the massage (I think in the past I kept my hand over it). I watched the tutorial on their website and found it to be very useful in terms of the movements.

HTH

Thank you, Sigma.

I found it a bit awkward to hold the handle without covering the "solar panel". But I will make sure I do that.
winewine
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
sylphee wrote:
Hello! I've been a long time lurker and this is my first post. Well, I think it's my first post. It's been so long since I registered. Smile

I've been using the Refa Pro daily - and loving it - for the past 10 days. It arrived beautifully boxed with satin dust bag, cleaning cloth, dvd and booklet. Definitely a luxury item - and better than a lot of jewelry I own!

I considered buying the Carat but, honestly, I know my husband would give me a hard time and I wouldn't hear the end of it due to the Carat's shape. I'm serious.

Anyway, I really love using the Refa Pro and feel that it has been a beneficial and easy to use beauty tool. No batteries, plug ins, gel or water - just pick it up and use. I think it's great for lymphatic drainage and start my session with my neck area.

My concerns are my neck, jaw line definition, forming jowls, and keeping my chubby cheeks lifted. So far, it's been working on my cheeks. I see more contour of my cheekbones and some slimming of the face.

I don't think the Refa's solar panel holds a charge but works on available light (sunlight or artificial.) I've felt the microcurrent charge on my scalp, so I know it's working. I have a NuFace Trinity which gives off that same pulse on my scalp when I do my forehead. It's subtle, but I do notice it. I haven't noticed any other microcurrent pulsing on other areas.

I use the Refa after cleansing and toning, and just recently, after doing a red/infrared LED light treatment.

Side note: I added the LED treatment after seeing PhotoQueen's posts on layering his treatments. Thank you for sharing that (and so many other things), PQ! This Board and its members are amazing!!

I like the long roller as it fits nicely on my cheeks, along the contours of my face, neck, etc. and right along the jawbone and cheekbones. I also use the point of the handle for targeting of specific muscles. I flip it, hold it and/or roll it on one roller or two rollers, according to how it best fits the area I'm treating so I consider it quite versatile.

The microcurrent charge goes throughout the device so you can have fun and experiment how you use it. The Instruction Manual shows different uses and how to hold it.

So far, this is one of my favorite beauty gadgets. Thanks for reading my post on the Refa Pro!

Thank you, sylphee. I just tried using it on my scalp and still no sensation. I am starting to worry that I might have purchased a counterfeit item. I didn't realized there were counterfeit products sold in Amazon until I submitted my order. That's why I want to find a way to see if this is really providing "microcurrent". I have already sent an email to the manufacturer to see if they can help. Wink
sylphee
5% products discount

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:47 am      Reply with quote
winewine wrote:

Thank you, sylphee. I just tried using it on my scalp and still no sensation. I am starting to worry that I might have purchased a counterfeit item. I didn't realized there were counterfeit products sold in Amazon until I submitted my order. That's why I want to find a way to see if this is really providing "microcurrent". I have already sent an email to the manufacturer to see if they can help. Wink

Hi winewine,

The Refa's microcurrent is on the lower end - they say our units put out approximately 38uA on the RefaUSA dot com website. It's most likely that we won't feel any sensations when we use it.

The low microcurrent makes it possible to use several times a day but results would probably not be as dramatic or quick as with using the other higher powered true microcurrent devices like professional machines, NuFace, Pico Toner (*drool*...want), etc.

When I felt sensations on my scalp, it was hit or miss depending on where it touched on my forehead. It doesn't happen all the time. I still like to use it while I watch TV. Smile

If you really want to make sure, you could get an electrical current tester. I would, but I don't have a tester except one for household batteries. Ahh, another purchase...

The Carat model seems to be very new, so would it be less likely to be counterfeited?

I'm interested to see what response you receive from the manufacturer. I know how you feel about wanting to get a genuine, result producing beauty tool because of the investment made.

Have a great week! Take care!
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:02 am      Reply with quote
I do not fell any "micro-current" when I use mine. I think it also depends on a person's sensitivity - I have to use Pico at a higher level to feel anything as well.

I got mine from Amazon as well. I will ask if my husband can measure it (he should have the equipment necessary) and if yes - will let everyone know.

HTH

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Sylphee & Sigma. This is the beauty of EDS forum - We get support from fellow EDSers!
I will let you know if I receive any response from MTG (the manufacturer).

And yes, I am planning on my next big purchase, ie. the Pico Toner as well! Let's all save up and have beautiful skin!
winewine
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
Sent emails to both MTG USA and MTG Japan, asking them how to identify a fake. I sent MTG Japan my serial number, and they told me it's not in their system, but they can't tell if the machine is counterfeit.

I was quite disappointed with their replies.

From MTG USA
Thank you for contacting us.

We recommend you to take a look at our list of authorized retail stores (including online stores), by clicking "store locator" on our websitewww.refausa.com. Also, for more information on counterfeit items, please visit our warning page for your information: http://www.refausa.com/warning.html

Please let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

From MTG Japan
email #1
Thank you for your e-mail.

I checked its number, but we don't have the number.
Could you re-confirm it?
And we don't officialy sell in Amazon.
So we can't identify if it is fake or genius.
Could you tell us HP adress which you bought it?

email #2
Dear Winnie

I'm sorry to send late.

I checked the shop, but the shop is not official channel, so we couldn't identify if it is fake or not.

Could you ask the shop, Leis Leis if it is geanious one.

I'm afraid we couldn't help you.

I don't understand why they can't teach a consumer how to distinguish a fake from the real stuff. It is actually to their advantage if the consumers know. Now people who bought a fake might feel that their product doesn't work.....

Anyway, I have been using my refa for about a week now. I layered it with Clarisonic Mia, Galvanic/ionic treatment (Hitachi hada-crie) and Baby Quasar. And gosh, I looked into the mirror tonight and I can't find my pores. Skin's definitely firmer and plumper. Jaw line is more defined. Unbelievable!

Maybe I lucked out and got a real refa carat.

Winnie
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:11 am      Reply with quote
Winnie,

where did you find the serial number (is it in the upper left corner of the back of the "dark" booklet)?

I am now curious and want to check about mine as well ( I also bought from amazon).

TIA

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
Winnie,

where did you find the serial number (is it in the upper left corner of the back of the "dark" booklet)?

I am now curious and want to check about mine as well ( I also bought from amazon).

TIA

Hi Sigma,

yes, the serial number is on the back of the black booklet and the white sleeve.

did you get a dvd with the order? I didn't get a dvd, and wondering what's on it.

Winnie
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Winnie,

I did not the DVD either.
I like how my face looks fresher and slightly more pink after I use it. Could be just due to mechanical massaging by the rollers.

I had emailed the manufacturer and will post their answer once i get it.

Thank you!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
Winnie,

I did not the DVD either.
I like how my face looks fresher and slightly more pink after I use it. Could be just due to mechanical massaging by the rollers.

I had emailed the manufacturer and will post their answer once i get it.

Thank you!

Sigma,

Yes, I like the pinkish color on my face too. but like you said, it could be because the rollers are slightly pinching the skin. I have a cheap plastic roller facial massager I purchased from a Japanese dollar store, I think it will give a pink glow too...

Winnie
sylphee
5% products discount

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:46 am      Reply with quote
winewine wrote:
Sent emails to both MTG USA and MTG Japan, asking them how to identify a fake. I sent MTG Japan my serial number, and they told me it's not in their system, but they can't tell if the machine is counterfeit.

I was quite disappointed with their replies.

I don't understand why they can't teach a consumer how to distinguish a fake from the real stuff. It is actually to their advantage if the consumers know. Now people who bought a fake might feel that their product doesn't work.....

Anyway, I have been using my refa for about a week now. I layered it with Clarisonic Mia, Galvanic/ionic treatment (Hitachi hada-crie) and Baby Quasar. And gosh, I looked into the mirror tonight and I can't find my pores. Skin's definitely firmer and plumper. Jaw line is more defined. Unbelievable!

Maybe I lucked out and got a real refa carat.

Winnie

Kind of lack luster replies but at least you got responses. Smile They both did the minimal courtesy emails, unfortunately.

You could try to compare yours like the way RefaUSA shows in their Warning page photos. I have a feeling that your Carats, Winnie and Sigma, are genuine.

As far as serial numbers go, looks like MTG isn't doing a good job of tracking them. They probably leave that to their authorized sellers.

I don't think I get too much color or pinkness when I use my Refa Pro. I don't enjoy that pinching feeling and get scared that I'm stretching my skin. I then go to one roller, turn the device around, or change the angle slightly. I think I'm getting pretty good at manipulating the device to fit my facial contours. My technique is to roll (iron out areas of concern) and then to hold (Please skin and muscles, Stay up!) Wink

Winnie, I'm glad you are seeing good results! I think the Refa really works with other types of devices because it doesn't conflict with anything and it feels good to roll on the skin. It's so relaxing for the neck!

BTW, I'm only doing my face. I did try my arms but they need more work than microcurrent can offer right now. Hehe.

Happy weekend!
RyanA
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Is anyone still using this or have any updates? I think I am still wanting to get one, even though I know the microcurrent is not that strong. I am using Nuface regularly, but the gel is really a pain. I'm thinking maybe I could use the Refa daily and supplement with the Nuface. I just wish it weren't so expensive.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using my Refa on and off for 3 months now. Did not notice any lifting so far, mind you I only have very minimal shadow of jowl... But on the days when I use it, my face does look more refreshed and somehow firmer. Not sure if it is due to the "microcurrent" or the massaging action...
RyanA
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:55 am      Reply with quote
winewine, thanks for the update. Do you use on body, too? That's one thing I would like it for, that would be really convenient without the gel. Although like you said, I wonder if it's the massage or the microcurrent that's giving the benefit? But they have said that just the design for massage is supposed to mimic getting a massage with hands.

On their Facebook page, they are telling some people their items could be counterfeit. People are posting pics trying to figure out if theirs is legitimate. The ones on Ebay look good to me, but I don't know if I should take a chance. It's hard to imagine someone could come up with something that looks exactly the same, down to the box.

5% products discount

Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
I'm still using my ReFa Pro and still love it! I also use the NuFace Trinity and the Pico Toner (which I just got a month ago). I'm only using the ReFa for my face, neck and tops of my shoulders so no update on body use.

I tested its electrical current (daytime, no movement) and there is definitely a low range micro-current output. It's strongest around the solar panel so I try to position my fingertips as close to it but not covering it. You can't feel any current - not like the pulsing that the NuFace or the Pico Toner put out. It's a different type of micro-current tool.

I think I over-did it with the Pico a few days ago where my face looked droopy and had a loss of firmness after bumping up the power during a P2 session. It scared me so I'm taking a break from the Pico and the NuFace right now. I've been only using the ReFa to recover - so far, so good! Firmness has returned.

Normally when I travel, I have a gap in micro-current usage because I don't bring any tools along. Last month, I traveled with the ReFa and it was great. I put it in my carry-on instead of checked baggage and prepared what I would tell the TSA agents if they asked what it was. Smile Luckily, I had female TSA personnel at the scanners and no problems going thru security.

Yes, the ReFa is quite expensive and I don't think it's a "must have" item, but I find myself reaching for it almost every day for lymph drainage and overall skin health and appearance. It feels good, is kind of fun, relaxing, and so easy to pick up and use while watching TV at night.
RyanA
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I ordered the Carat. I received a 20% coupon from dermstore, which made it about the same price to buy from Japan on Ebay. I can't wait to try it.

5% products discount

Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
RyanA wrote:
Well, I ordered the Carat. I received a 20% coupon from dermstore, which made it about the same price to buy from Japan on Ebay. I can't wait to try it.

Smart choice - they're reliable, fast and the discount is even better! Please update us when you get a chance!
havana8

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:43 am      Reply with quote
bumping for Kroin1234

Kroin1234 wrote:
Loving my STOP. Only problem is I can't Stop using it. I can't wait a day in between and my skin is kind of swollen in a bad way like after time in the sun. When my gel runs out I am going to try buying and mixing glycerin and bees wax. I almost called it "bees wac." I'm whack for trying it but that's not stopping me! Thanks again Sis!! Still looking for a CARAT. Does anyone think a refa Pro would be just as good. For my jawline the company says go with a CARAT and the consensus seems to be that the pro is more for the body and the CARAT for the face. I feel like a dinosaur (and look a bit like one, too) for talking about devices years after you guys discovered them. What are the next best things? I'm not sure if I could do a search on that.

There's also this related thread on the ReFa Pro:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=45341
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
My ReFa Carat from Dermstore is wonderful! Ways I use it:

• On my face. I had a bruise under my eye after recent eye surgery (the block left a huge shiner). I used the ball of ReFa on the bruise several times a day and applied a vitamin K/chrysin eye serum. In 4 days the bruise was gone and didnt go thru the usual purple/green/yellow phases. Even my surgeon was amazed.

• On my body. In spite of eating a clean diet and exercising, I just couldnt get rid of a little "pooch" on my belly. I started using the ReFa over that area after showering and applying my usual creams/serums after that. Now my jeans zip better after a week of using it and I do think "Pooch" is leaving for good!

I use the ReFa all over wherever I want to increase product penetration and/or tighten and/or detox.

A keeper! I like that it doesnt require batteries/plug in and there is no hazard associated with overuse or using it "wrong".

Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |