Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can diet and exercise really repair collagen damage?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
benzerbru
5% products discount

Sat May 25, 2013 4:40 am      Reply with quote
I've read up about this recently and can't find any evidence to support either way. We all know that diet and exercise can make us feel physically stronger and better but can it repair signs of aging?

I suffer from eye hollows and nasolabial folds and I'm just wondering will a diet packed with nutrients and regular exercise help these areas of collagen damage?

Does anyone have any success stories regarding a diet and exercise regime which remedied aging of the face?
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 25, 2013 10:22 am      Reply with quote
Yeah i have heard about the mini beet protocol that can repair even damage on dna levels
(destroying malformed cells that produce free radicals).
Google it- robert von mini beet protocol.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 25, 2013 10:27 am      Reply with quote
About a year ago, there was a thread about high-impact aerobics and facial sagging.

The posters claimed that too much high-impact aerobics can reduce skin firmness.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 25, 2013 11:48 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
About a year ago, there was a thread about high-impact aerobics and facial sagging.

The posters claimed that too much high-impact aerobics can reduce skin firmness.

I seriously doubt this claim.... I would say if someone has big assets, they should wear proper undergarments to provide additional support while running/jogging...

i think exercises can do wonderful things... I go to the 6 days a week, in addition I walk a lot and when I compare myself to people my age who dont exercise much, I am 1000% better, in the way I look as well as in the way I feel...
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 25, 2013 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
daler, I think it depends on the person. I posted to that thread that I've always felt tugging around my eyes and mid cheeks on impact while jogging. It does not feel at all like its something that would tighten if I kept it up.

Others have tighter skin, and maybe underlying muscle/tissue or whatever, maybe more prominent bone structure to support.

And I can't say my small breasts would fare any better without proper support. I may not "have to" wear a bra from day to day since they're still perky, but I do. It may be the reason why they still are, but it may be also be due to their shape.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 25, 2013 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
panoslydios wrote:
Yeah i have heard about the mini beet protocol that can repair even damage on dna levels
(destroying malformed cells that produce free radicals).
Google it- robert von mini beet protocol.
thanks panos! just bought some beets!
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 25, 2013 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA raised an important point. Last year, I read somewhere that women (especially the large-chested) must wear good bras while exercising. Doing so helps prevent damage to the connective tissue, which holds up the breast.

I can't find the exact article from which I got that information. However, I did find a book on Google Books that provides nearly the same information. See here: http://tinyurl.com/pbslzvq

(Google Books is awesome, btw. It allows you to search inside millions of books simultaneously.)
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 25, 2013 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
daler, I think it depends on the person. I posted to that thread that I've always felt tugging around my eyes and mid cheeks on impact while jogging. It does not feel at all like its something that would tighten if I kept it up.

Others have tighter skin, and maybe underlying muscle/tissue or whatever, maybe more prominent bone structure to support.

And I can't say my small breasts would fare any better without proper support. I may not "have to" wear a bra from day to day since they're still perky, but I do. It may be the reason why they still are, but it may be also be due to their shape.

LoriA, yes you are right, it depends upon the individual... but I just dont nat people to get an idea that aerobics is aging their face; I dont recall seeing a saggy faced marathon runner unless s/he is very old...most have chiseled faces...

however what might be happening in most cases is that when people start jogging/running they loose weight suddenly which can very easily result in facial sagging...
thomas001

Sun May 26, 2013 9:03 am      Reply with quote
In my opinion, almost any long distance runners looks way older than their peers. Wheather its caused by sun exposure, too low fat % running causes sagging skin,a higher carb intake is another case.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 26, 2013 10:22 am      Reply with quote
I've never weighed more than 115lbs at 5'5", and have never really experienced a significant weight loss.
I don't have a very fleshy face either, and no sagging, but my parents did once they got into their 50-60's so I'm a little afraid of it happening. I don't know whether it would tighten with more impact activity or not?
Here's that thread, hope the link works:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=46824

I think the breast thing is another matter entirely.. I mean, thats a lot of weight.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
thomas001

Sun May 26, 2013 10:29 am      Reply with quote
I mean, if you have a look around at your local gym, you will easily identify the hardcore ones.
And yes, the def. look way older than there real ages. I seem to remember a thread at the longelivity forum longecity a while ago where this was discussed in deppt.
beauty_on_the_inside

Sun May 26, 2013 10:50 am      Reply with quote
I've been in the health and fitness industry as a trainer/instructor for over 15 years. I've noticed a lot of my colleagues age a lot slower as compared to non-active people. Hopefully that helps?
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 26, 2013 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
When I read 'diet and exercise,' I initially assumed you were talking about facial exercises. But I'm going to continue with the general consensus that you meant exercises like cardio. I think it's a matter of prevention as opposed to cure. Eating right and staying active will probably slow down t.a.p. by giving your body plenty of raw materials to make healthy new skin cells, but I doubt they would do much to correct preexisting severe sag or deep wrinkling. Being careful about your diet would prevent/correct glycation damage and some uv damage, (like astaxanthin) in theory. The additional blood flow from cardio is also supposed to help flood the basal cells with more nutrients but I think that's only an issue for people with horrible circulation.

As far as the aging runner debate is concerned...I think it depends on whether or not the athletes in questions were working out indoors. If you spend copious amounts of time outdoors with no sun protection, your face is going to look like hell quicker than your office dwelling buddy's. Let's face it...the importance of sun protection hasn't been common knowledge for too many decades.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 26, 2013 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
thomas001 wrote:
I mean, if you have a look around at your local gym, you will easily identify the hardcore ones.
And yes, the def. look way older than there real ages. I seem to remember a thread at the longelivity forum longecity a while ago where this was discussed in deppt.

i think the hardcore people u r talking about have facial fat loss...
cali1979
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 27, 2013 3:03 am      Reply with quote
I think that doing exercises such as yoga do have benefits for my skin.It can be easily understood that good health will keep one's skin good.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 29, 2013 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, studies show diet and exercise can accelerate menopause:
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/exercise-healthy-eating-linked-to-early-menopause-2582605.html
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 29, 2013 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:
Actually, studies show diet and exercise can accelerate menopause:
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/exercise-healthy-eating-linked-to-early-menopause-2582605.html

how do you find such horrific studies!!! dont get offended though..

now we ll have another excuse to keep sitting on our lazy butts!
bellabambiiina
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 30, 2013 5:12 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:

I tend to think this is true. Recently I started a sonic vibration exerciser (Turbosonic) and 2 weeks later, I noticed a slight droop in my jowl area. I'm 41 but I never had ANY jowl action, I had a smooth jawline. I have a lot of stress and I dont get enough sleep, so I dont think my skin repairs very well, and it cant withstand this kind of impact. I would strongly advise against high impact or vibration as it can age your face prematurely I think.

I also read on realself.com where a plastic surgeon talked about seeing jowls in young people who are runners. Something about the shearing of soft facial tissue. Another shining example of how important it is to practice all things in moderation. Perhaps running is just too high impact and speedwalking is better.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:34 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |