Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Retinol and Vitamin C
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 05, 2019 8:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, if I use retinol at night, and do not wash my face in the morning, then apply vitamin C, is that OK? I know you’re not supposed to combine retinol and vitamin C, but is the waiting period while I sleep enough time for the two ingredients not to conflict with each other? I never wash my face in the morning.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 08, 2019 1:50 am      Reply with quote
I think this would be fine, but I'd be inclined to at least rinse my face in the morning.
lin52

Wed May 08, 2019 5:42 am      Reply with quote
I understand several people e.g. Paula's Choice now recommend using vit c and retinol together. I am still sticking with vit c one night retinol the next at the moment but would be interested to hear from anyone using them together.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 08, 2019 9:12 am      Reply with quote
You can combine Vit C and retinol – but you just wouldn’t do it in the same sitting (so to speak). So you wouldn't use Vit C and then apply Retinol immediately at the same time or minutes after per se. I use Retin A and Vit C and have done now since my 20's.

So you can use them at either ends of the spectrum, i.e. Vit C in the morning for sun protection and Retinol at night. I would advise though that you consider using sun protection on top of the Vit C as retinol (like Retin) makes skin more photosensitive to damage.
Also why don’t you wash your face in the morning? During sleep and the night your face produces oils etc and so the morning cleanse can help to sweep that stuff and gunk away and preps your skin for actives like Vit C.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 11, 2019 6:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi, thanks for the replies. I believe that overwashing can lead to skin damage and I don’t believe that my skin is any dirtier when I wake up in the morning. The skin barrier can be compromised also and I only wash in the evening to remove sunscreen and makeup. My skin health is good and this is something I’ve stuck with for years now after reading an article about how French women do not wash their face in the morning. I have no makeup on and the good stuff I put on at night remains on the skin. I do not have acne prone skin so this works for me.

I am not a huge fan of Paula’s choice, I will probably do the overloading with vitamin c for a week and switch with retinol/ retin-a another. Thanks again for the replies.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 13, 2019 6:53 am      Reply with quote
Overwashing can definitely lead to skin issues, but washing twice a day isn't really overwashing unless you are using a very harsh cleanser (and for some folk if they choose to use that kind they won't be able to wash their skin twice a day). However gentle cleansing is a really good habit and one that a lot of the professionals swear by, so it may be something to consider for future if you do have further issues.

Not sure what article you read, but I have a lot of french friends with beautiful skins who do cleanse twice a day and I'm jealous as they look far younger than their age.

If your skin is already good then overloading it isn't such a great idea, and I'm not sure why you would want to? You can seriously apply both Retinol and C just at separate ends of the day for benefit as mentioned above previously.

Also not sure if you saw this thread: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=56706
but it may be worthwhile having a read of that too.
System
Automatic Message
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Protect & Restore High Retinol and Oil of Lavender - Large (113.4 g / 4 oz) glominerals Persuasion Eye Palette (7.2 g / 0.25 oz) Juvena Skin Nova SC Cellular Miracle Beauty Mask (75 ml / 2.5 oz)