Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
beestherbub wrote:

I would like to make a double C or triple C version of the Kassy's C E Ferulic 15% serum where I add Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate and/or Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate.

Is this possible? And how would I do it?
thanks!
esther

I attempted a version of Kassy's CE Ferulic with MAP. It turned yellow very quickly. The problem with MAP is that it requires a different pH than L-AA. MAP is best used at 5.5-7.0 pH and L-AA is best under 3.0. I could never tweak it to a point where I was happy with it.

If you want a double-C serum, I'd suggest using tetrahexyldecyl-ascorbate. Make Kassy's CE Ferulic with Jojoba instead and add the 1% of tetra C to the oil phase.
beestherbub

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:54 am      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
beestherbub wrote:

I would like to make a double C or triple C version of the Kassy's C E Ferulic 15% serum where I add Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate and/or Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate.

Is this possible? And how would I do it?
thanks!
esther

I attempted a version of Kassy's CE Ferulic with MAP. It turned yellow very quickly. The problem with MAP is that it requires a different pH than L-AA. MAP is best used at 5.5-7.0 pH and L-AA is best under 3.0. I could never tweak it to a point where I was happy with it.

If you want a double-C serum, I'd suggest using tetrahexyldecyl-ascorbate. Make Kassy's CE Ferulic with Jojoba instead and add the 1% of tetra C to the oil phase.

ok - what about using tetrahexyldecyl-ascorbate and MAP together and not using L-AA - what would the ph situation be with that?

i have seen postings that say a brand called candessence has a triple C using all three of these types of vitamin C but they are from a couple years ago and i can't find either the product, the brand website or a recipe for it.

also - is there something other than jojoba oil i could use? i can't have any plant extracts or natural oils (salicylates) on my skin. i can use shea butter, lanolin, emu oil, vitamin e.

thanks!

esther
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:42 am      Reply with quote
beestherbub wrote:

ok - what about using tetrahexyldecyl-ascorbate and MAP together and not using L-AA - what would the ph situation be with that?

i have seen postings that say a brand called candessence has a triple C using all three of these types of vitamin C but they are from a couple years ago and i can't find either the product, the brand website or a recipe for it.

also - is there something other than jojoba oil i could use? i can't have any plant extracts or natural oils (salicylates) on my skin. i can use shea butter, lanolin, emu oil, vitamin e.

I've not done tetra C and MAP together, but I think it would work. Tetra C is oil soluble and MAP is water soluble, so you'd need to have both oil and water in the serum. It may separate - you could use a few drops of polysorbate 80 to emulsify it together.

As for the oil dilemma, emu might be the best option. You want a liquid oil.
peanutcm

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:32 am      Reply with quote
Wow! I love to try new homemade skin treatments. They are cheaper. I admit I use the kind you purchase for ease of use. I'd like to try some of these recipes though. I'll have to post my body scrub recipe sometime.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:32 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried using a seaweed mask? I've heard of people using the method where they take sushi seaweed, soak it in water, and then scrub it all over their face. I'm wondering if anyone has tried a different method, or a different type of seaweed? [yay, my first post Smile I'm very excited about this forum]
cowgirlmama

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:39 am      Reply with quote
I am new here but here are 2 things that I have done for the last couple of months.

Facial and body scrub and mask
almonds
fine grind coffee
Oatmeal
Coconut oil
Honey

I grind up the almonds coffee and oatmeal in my coffee grinder until all are extremely fine. I like them to almost start to feel oily. I then heat my coconut oil up to a liquid, just warm. and then mix it with the dry ingrediants. after it is mixed well then I add honey. I like a runnier consistantly and let it sit for a couple of hours
I apply it to my face and then relax with a hot wet towel over it... wait as long as you can relax and then scrub and wash off.

Avocado mask
avocado
honey
yogurt

I mixed these ingredients to a nice smooth creamy type consistancy. then apply and place a hot wet towel over face and relax. then wash off

I find honey seems to dry out my skin in the winter, that is why I use a hot wet towel to help with the moisture.

I now have a list 3 miles long of recipes that I want to try, thanks for all the great info:-) I have oily skin in the summer and super dry in the winter. The joys of living in Alberta
mmag

Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi, all,

For my sun damaged and wrinkled skin, I was going to give the Skin Biology copper peptides a try for a year or so, but with the exfoliation serums (e.g., their Lacsal serum), it's pretty pricey. I have pink sun damage spots all over my arms, neck, and face, so I need to use a lot of the copper peptides and the exfoliation serum. I have lactic-L from the Personal Formulator and powder salicylic acid from Making Cosmetics, but I have no idea how to mix these with other ingredients to make a 10%-12% lacsal serum. Don't see such a recipe on the recipe index, either. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you so very much!

Rabbit B3
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 15, 2011 3:14 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
pbsadhaka wrote:
Carrie,
Just curious...have you tried any of these dry shampoo recipes? How did you like them?
I haven’t tried them myself, simply because I like to shampoo my hair every day or my scalp gets all itchy (although I don’t have the dandruff that typically accompanies an itchy scalp!), but I do know someone who has used the dry shampoo recipes:

My mom takes care of my 90-something year old grandmother, and the last time she was hospitalized (had to get three toes amputated due to complications from diabetes) so was obviously not ambulatory so my mom had to give her sponge baths in bed and used the dry shampoo on Mimi every day for about a week, until my grandmother was able to hobble on her walker and get into the walk-in shower.

The dry shampoo did it’s job, which is to say that it kept my grandmother’s oily scalp under control until she was able to bathe and wash her hair the normal way, but – IMHO – there is nothing that can take the place of actually shampooing your hair with water and (liquid) shampoo. The dry shampoo is a good solution in emergency situations when you can’t get to the shower but I certainly wouldn’t use it otherwise....

I know this is a bit late,
but at medical supply places and online you can buy something called "shampoo caps" and it is like a shower cap you heat in the micriwave for 2 minutes and put on your hair- it has built in water and "foam" and is for washing your hair when you can not shower.

I actually tried the product as I was injured, had arm surgery and no one to help me at home at all....
And this product was easy to use and works and you hair is damp like it was just washed.

I forget the brand, it is in a blue package, single use.
But if u look up
"Shampoo cap" online you should find it.
Starbright
5% products discount

Fri May 20, 2011 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
I thought I would post my first succesful recipe. I have never used oils on my face before but after reading all of the threads and seeing people getting good results, thought I would try some.

I made this and my skin loves it. It seems to have helped plump my skin and one or two dehydration lines seem to be disappearing from my cheek.

Plumping Facial Oil

15mls Sweet Almond oil
10mls Argon oil
10 mls Jojoba oil
5mls Avocado oil
5mls Rosehip oil

3 drps Carrot seed oil
3 drops Palmarosa oil
3 drops Neroli
3 drops Frankincense
2 drops Rose Otto
1 drop Patchouli

Thanks to everyone on the forum for all the great threads. Very Happy
PeachyShoes
5% products discount

Fri May 27, 2011 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi girlies!

I justed joined today, but have been lurking for 2 months now.

I am in my 20s, acne-prone, dry forehead, dry/normal cheeks, slight oily nose area, prone to black/whiteheads.

I used to use diluted AVC as a mask (for exfoliation) and it worked so well! The problem I have is that my skin peels every single day especially under my eye area (on my cheek bones; where you would normally put a highlight)! I tend to break out in that area. I believe I did 50/50. (I just read the label of the AVC, and found that it's vinegar with coloring/flavoring... Mad)

I've tried EVOO, avocados, Vit E oil (capsules), & fish oil (capsules) for moisturizing. The best one that have worked for me is fish oil. Avocados (fresh) works too, but it creates a film which I can't stand. I like eating it better! Vit E & EVOO dries out my skin..?

I'm acne-prone. I've been suffering for 13 years now - on & off.

I have had a skin expert test my skin for water levels and he said my skin was extremely dehydrated (like a "65yr old"... =/ I'm in my early 20s!!). I don't like drinking water or anything! I could go a day with 1 cup of water. I am starting my regimen again by forcing myself to drink more water (5 cups down so far! today).

The best "face" moisturizer that has worked for me is Kiehls avocado EYE CREAM!! I use a small amount on my face and it does miracles... I don't do it everyday as it's $$! (DIY anyone?)

I like using vaseline lotion on my skin, but heard that petroleum isn't good for your skin as it hydrates, but after long use it dries it out?

I have used Vit C serum a long time ago and it worked fabulous. The problem was that I didn't know much about skincare (purchased it from a facial office where I got monthly facials) and it was about $70 for a small jar back when I was 13-14 (my mom did everything to help clear my acne). Planning on doing the DIY when I get my hands on the ingredients!

My question is: what should I use? My skin is not dry, but dehydrated? I haven't seen much on that here on this forum.. (maybe I'm looking at the wrong place?)

Sorry for the loads of questions. I've been doing some DIY for a while, but want to get to the more "intense" stuff.

I'm def. going to look at grapeseed oil. I did make the AVC toner (for sensitive skin) and it sort of dried out my forehead, but it was good on the other areas. I had to stop using because it wasn't removing all the dead skin (to gentle) and went back the the Dickinson's original witch hazel.

Oh yeah, and need to buy real AVC Laughing

Thank you all for your hard work!!!
PeachyShoes
5% products discount

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
Calls for 70% alcohol.

I found 2 kinds at CVS:
CVS 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol
CVS 70% Ethyl Rubbing Alcohol

Does it matter which one?

THANKS!! Very Happy

Got Castor oil & glycerin! So excited to make my own skincare!
erinn_q

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Recipe for homemade TendSkin (note: this recipe was originally posted by a member on MUA, although it has since disappeared...I don't know who the original author is, but it wasn't me!):

What you need:

Uncoated aspirin
70% alcohol
Witch Hazel
A measuring cup/bottle
2 bottles used to shake mixtures
1 8oz or more bottle/container to keep finished product

What you do:

1. Pour 5.5oz of 70% alcohol into one bottle.
2. Drop 18 uncoated aspirins into the alcohol. Cap bottle and shake.
3. Pour 2.5oz of witch hazel into the second bottle.
4. Drop 8 uncoated aspirins into the witch hazel. Cap bottle and shake.
5. Wait awhile (30 minutes to a whole day) for the aspirins to dissolve in the liquids. Shake periodically to help dissolve aspirin and mix. NOTE: not all of the aspirin will dissolve. That’s ok- some of it never will.
6. Now combine both the alcohol and witch hazel mixtures together into one bottle. Make sure you shake it up before you pour them out so you also get the aspirin residue into the new bottle.

This last bottle is your Tendskin! Use 1-2 a day. Reduce usage if you experience dryness or flaking or irritation. DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO ASPIRIN. Make sure you shake it well before each use.

Hi! Thanks for all the wonderful DIY posts! I'm wondering... if I make this, how long will it be good for? You know, If I want to bottle it and store for later...Very Happy maybe make extra so I don't have to keep making it. I just love the recipe because it seems so simple! Any info would help! Maybe I can add a preservative to make it last? Eh?
MidnightSunBaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
I use Salycic Acid in my body oil at about three percent. I would ask the personal formulator how to use their product. These companies want us to keep repurchasing. I have yet to have anyone at any company blow me off.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:05 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Homemade Vitamin C Serum:

• 1/4 teaspoon of Lysorbic Acid (Vit-C) powder or crysals
• 5 ml distilled water
• 5 ml of propylene glycol (glycerin can be used instead, but I'd only recommend it for those with dry skin!)
• small amber or dark blue glass bottle

Put all of the ingredients in the little blue or amber bottle (need to wash it out thoroughly each time before mixing a new batch), replace cap/lid, and shake vigorously then let sit for a couple of hours, coming back to shake the bottle again every hour or so because it can take a little while for the Vit-C to solubulize.

If you really want to make your Vit-C serum with glycerin, you can usually find small bottles of it in the first-aid section of most pharmacies or supermarkets. Personally, I prefer using the propylene glycol – the consistency of my serum turned out even *better* than the CSRx version!!! When I made the serum using glycerin instead of PG, I found it to be too “greasy” for my liking (remember, I have hyper-oily skin!) and it caused me to have to blot my face even more often than usual, but this new batch has left me having to blot LESS often that usual, so I definitely think I’ve got a winner here!!

Please note: You have to be careful when buying Vit-C though, because there's a 100 different types: unbuffered, Vit-C crystals with additional additives, Vit-C crystals that are sugared and flavored that you mix with water into a drink...basically you just need to read the label to be sure it's 100% pure lysorbic acid with no additional ingredients. They also have the Vit-C in powdered form, but apparently the crystals are more "soluable."

Hi! I'm about to make this serum myself, but I can't find what % of Vitamin C this serum is. Any help please? Smile
Jhayce

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:06 am      Reply with quote
Which of these recipes would be the best to countering pimples and acne? I need help bad :[ Sorry I Am new here
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:29 am      Reply with quote
MimiBurn wrote:
carekate wrote:
Homemade Vitamin C Serum:

• 1/4 teaspoon of Lysorbic Acid (Vit-C) powder or crysals
• 5 ml distilled water
• 5 ml of propylene glycol (glycerin can be used instead, but I'd only recommend it for those with dry skin!)
• small amber or dark blue glass bottle

Hi! I'm about to make this serum myself, but I can't find what % of Vitamin C this serum is. Any help please? Smile

Should be slightly under 10%.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Jhayce wrote:
Which of these recipes would be the best to countering pimples and acne? I need help bad :[ Sorry I Am new here

Hello and welcome! wave

Try DragoN's DIY serum for acne and other benefits:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6416239#6416239

There is a sticky at the top of the board where our moderator has very kindly compiled an index of recipes.
Jhayce

Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Circus thanks for the help :] It will be hard to me to get those ingredients but I will try it. What are the routines for it though? Like is it a day to day use? Circular motion? After shower? Etc etc..
Angelique5

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:27 am      Reply with quote
What am i doing wrong? When i make it i can still feel the c powder as gritty and therefore do not think it penetrates my skin. i previously used Celex c serum and it was never gritty.
tanyalbeck

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
I would like to make home made remedies for family and friends this year but am worried about how long some of this will last! what would make great presents, and how long will they keep for? Thanks so much! Tanya

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Tonya,

You use a perservative any of the DIY companies will sell a preservative. It depends if it is water based or oil based. I buy and use optiphen because it works with most products. ALWAYS USE a perservative.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
Angelique5,

Ingredients to die for has a Vitamin C active that is already disolved.

http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item.php?item_id=350&page=2

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
Wow Circus! Thank You!
Quote:

Hello and welcome! wave

Try DragoN's DIY serum for acne and other benefits:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6416239#6416239

There is a sticky at the top of the board where our moderator has very kindly compiled an index of recipes.

The recipe is solid. Too many have told me via email and sent me pictures of their improvements with that serum, not to want to share it.

The Kinetin version is similarly fabulous on my skin, and several others have been using it for quite a while with great results. There are Lecithin versions for both recipes, which are even nicer. However need to use powdered lecithin.

They stop acne for me and others and they are gentle. If someone does give it a whirl on EDS , let me know. The actives are in the serums at clinically effective levels. They are easy to make...and in my experience, on my skin, fabulous.

And the cost to make it, not a quarter of Kinerase or Prevage and I can make it by the Kilo if I were so inclined.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:40 am      Reply with quote
^ Thank you DragoN. That's very nice of you to share your recipe with us. Smile

Jhayce wrote:
Hey Circus thanks for the help :] It will be hard to me to get those ingredients but I will try it. What are the routines for it though? Like is it a day to day use? Circular motion? After shower? Etc etc..

Hi Jhayce, sorry I missed this. You would apply it like a normal serum. Once a day would suffice.

You can get ingredients from gardenofwisdom, lotioncrafter, or bulkactives. There are lots more suppliers listed in the sticky at the top of the board. Smile
erna

Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:44 am      Reply with quote
Hi girls. I have been doing loads of body butters for myself, my family and firends. But today I have a question: Can I mix 3-4 butters and 6 carrier oils in a recipe? That is how I do it:) I love all the butters and oils so much and it is hard for me to skip any of them... Couple days ago I found info that you can mix up to 6 carrier oils in a recipe... But I can't find anything about butters. So if I mix 4 different butters and 6 different oils in a recipe is it overdone?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |