Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help with picking products, please.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Cessa

Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:27 am      Reply with quote
I'm lost in the jungle of products out there and I am at loss as to what kind of products I should chose. Now, I am willing to chose a high end product if it is effective and I'm wondering if any of you could help me?

A little bit about me:

I'm 17 years old and I've got quite dry skin. The top skin (on my nose) is very dry and flaky. But, I've got blackheads on the nose and some on the chin. I do get spots occationally too. My forehead gets greasy during the day. So my problem area is really the T-zone, my skin is quite sensitve as well, but not fair. I do not easily get burned in the sun. Where I live the summer's are warm and the winter's are very cold. So, what I'm looking for now is a good cleanser, tonic and moisturizer (SPF?) for the summer. If you could recommend a peeling cream and masks as well, I would really appreciate it.
I'm also looking for a good sunscrean and aftersun product for the body. And if there is such a thing as a sunscrean especially made for the face Laughing , I'd really like some advice on that too!
As said, I'm willing to pay for a good product.

Thank you so much, love Cessa.
Glow
5% products discount

Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
hey cessa,

sounds like you have combo skin and usually the best solution for that is to get a facial an an advise from an aesthetician. if you are able to pay, pick a spa with a good reputation that carries more then one line of skincare products.
i'm not an aesthetician, but i would recommend using a cleanser with glycolic acid, maybe MDF glycolic cleanser at night and a light cleanser like yonka cleansing gel in the morning.
And a very light moisturizer with SPF 15 for every day use (if you don't spend too much time outside), i like Murad Tinted Moisturizer SPF15. As for night, I would use something that would heal your dry skin and maybe a serum for normalizing your t-zone

good luck, it's always hard to find perfect products! Wink
Mabsy

Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:15 am      Reply with quote
I'm on my natural skincare kick so I'm going to recommend Dr Hauschka products Laughing

I recently started using the Dr H cleansing cream and it's done great things for my skin (my nose is particularily grateful). I haven't tried the Dr H Clarifying Facial Toner yet but it's on my list because it gets pretty good reviews and people talk about it's ability to keep oilies away. Another thing that I have used recently that seems to have normalised my skin (possibly in combination with the Dr H cleansing cream) was the Dr H rhtythmic night conditioner. It feels like you're putting water on your face yet somehow it works. Here's my previous post about it if you're interested in reading more: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2075

In terms of moisturiser, perhaps you should try putting it on only where necessary on your face? So don't put any on your t-zone and put it on the rest of your face. In terms of moisturisers with SPF I liked the Dermalogica Sheer Tint moisture SPF15 (comes untinted as well) and the Murad Essential Day Moisture. However there are many more that I've tried and liked (from samples) over the years and I'm sure people can recommend their current favorites.

In terms of masks, I would recommend using two different ones at the same time. I often use a moisturising mask on my face, an eye mask around my eyes and a deep cleansing mask for my tzone all at the same time. I've been told I look like a Picasso painting Laughing At the moment I'm using Queen Helene Mint Julep or Borghese Fango Mud mask on my t-zone but I'd love to try the Dr Hauschka mud mask which gets really good reviews. I've got a Thalgo mask for around the eyes and I rotate between DDF Hydra Comfort Gel Mask, Thalgo Moisture Quenching Mask and Phytomer Moisture Quench Mask as far as moisturising masks go Embarassed My fave pick-me-up mask when my skin is looking tired is the Valmont Renewing pack ($$$ but I it and so does my skin!).

I would also like to add that Decleor has some yummy stuff in their Aromatherapy range. Essential Balm for purifying the skin and also some great facial oils. The Decleor Harmonie Essentielle cream is a great thing to have on hand if you have sensitive skin and suffer from rashes or flareups Wink

Oh, and on the topic of sunblocks for the face my recommendation (and a few other people's judging by previous posts Smile) would be Skinceuticals Ultimate UV Defense SPF30, however, again, I'm sure others can recommend a range of ones that they like. In terms of SPF for the body, I just use a supermarket one and make sure that it has the zinc oxide / titanium dioxide ingredients.

HTH
Mabsy
kristenrhea

Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!

Thanks for your post on Dr. Hauschka products. I am in the process of switching over to DH. I loved their concept, but in the past didn't care for the products, I felt they were way to rich for my oily/combination skin (at the time, I had acne and lots of clogged pores) Skin has since cleared up using a bunch of other products. However, my current line Anna Bellina started to irritate my skin (I'm allergic to milk products, and therefore, possibly the lactic acid in her products) Face was red and itchy, esp., in forehead areas, after washing. It's calmed down a lot using AB Derma Glo products for sensitive skin, but it those products do not leave a very fine textured skin.

I'm using samples of DH and skin feels fine. I'm wondering if you feel like skin is clean after cleansing with cleansing cream? Do you use a toner? I thought maybe I would use a pure hydrosol (flower water of lavender or other) to take off the slick or to complete the cleansing process ( I live in Hawaii where it is hot & humid) I'm just afraid of clogging pores with any extra oil. What do you think about that?

Do you think it is a good idea to just use DH products? I have soooo many AB products left, I hate to waste, but more importantly, I'd rather have good happy skin.

Do you use any of the DH moisturizers, or do you mix and match with another line? I'm just wondering if my skin would do okay if I mixed my skin care products.

Anyway, I know this message is a bit winded, but any help or insight you can share would be very helpful. Thanks in advance -

Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi kristenrhea,

After cleansing with the Dr H cream I use toner. The cleansing cream does leave my skin "comfortable" i.e. not stripped. But it doesn't feel like there is something on it that I need to take off. I just spray the toner on and pat it in.

I do have 2 Dr H moisturisers: Rose Day Cream (way too rich for your skin - and for mine too most of the time) and the Quince Day Cream. They both smell gorgeous but I'm using other creams at the moment. When I use Dr H stuff I try to at least stick with the cleansing/toning from Dr H and then use other brands for moisturisers and masks.

I must admit that I would like to switch to Dr H completely but I know it's not going to happen. I have way too much stuff that I want to finish off plus even if I didn't I know that I would always be tempted to try other stuff no matter how good Dr H is Laughing

Mabsy
kristenrhea

Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy -

Thanks for your reply. Well I used both DH cleansing milk and cream tonite, and wiped my skin with pure organic rose hydrosol (I figured, it can't be much different then wiping with a warm face cloth after cleansing as suggested by Dr. Hauschka). My cotton, did not come clean, there was still some grime on the cotton, after doing a double wash. And, I do not use any face powder or foundation - I have naked skin throughout the day. Do you suppose Dr. H. loosens up debris? I think I might continue with that process after cleansing for awhile. Some aestheticians think gentle wiping with toner is the most important part of the cleansing process - it removes debris loosened from cleansers and minerals from tap water - so that when you apply moisturizer, you are a not pushing that grime back into your skin. What do you think about that?

Anyway, I finished with the Rhythmic ampules for sensitive skin. My skin is still so sensitive from AB products. My cheeks and forehead still felt tender when using the Dr. Hauschka cleansing cream.

I will continue to use DH products faithfully and see how my skin adjusts. But for now hydrosols on cotton will continue to follow my cleansing - it's a security thing.

There is really a difference in the texture of the skin and the way it feels after using a foaming cleanser and creamy cleanser (much finer texture with creamy cleanser - especially for mature skin). I'll attest to that.

I have samples of the day oil and moisturizing cream and rose cream to choose from. But like you I have a lot of other products to finish up as well.

Thanks for your help. You've been my Dr. Hauschka inspiration. Edie

Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:49 am      Reply with quote
Hi Edie Smile

I must try using a toner on a cotton ball to see what mine comes up like. I got the impression that the cleansing milk was actually quite effective at removing my makeup, I know that the cleansing cream is not really a "cleansing" cream in that sense - i.e. you have to use it on a makeup free face. I don't quite mind 'coz I love it Very Happy Since I have been using the Dr H toner, I only spray it on and pat it in though - no cotton ball involved.

Glad you pointed out using the wash cloth after using Dr H cleansing stuff. I haven't actually been using anything - just rinsing it off with water and then spraying the toner. What Dr H recommends and using a cotton ball with toner on it seem quite similar things though - at least they have the same outcome anyway.

I'm actually quite a big fan of toner. I don't think it's exactly a necessary step in a beauty routine but I like using it nonetheless Smile

Mabsy
kristenrhea

Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy:

I just got down cleansing with milk, I used a warm wash cloth to wipe gently as a last step - and then I used a pure rose hydrosol to see what came up off my face. And cotton looked pretty clean. So, I think, wiping off with wash cloth as a last step, probably removes any left over soap and dirt residue. Then, my only concern is how about the mineral residue from the tap? And then if I tone, am I removing too much of the good stuff the cleansers deliver into my skin?

I don't know, but if you go to Annabellina.com - Tricia stresses the importance of toning after cleansing for that very reason. So that when you pat in your moisturizer, you are putting it on super clean skin, and not pushing any residue back into your pores.

What do you think? I know you mentioned that you had tremendous results with the cleansing cream alone clearing out your pores - a benefit I could surely use. So, I don't know how important the wash cloth/whole toning bit is.

Thanks for listening to me ramble. Keep me posted on your Hauschka experiments. Edie

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:27 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, off topic but would love to hear a review when you have time of Borghese Fango Mud mask. thanks Razz
Mabsy

Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:58 am      Reply with quote
Edie - I never really go as far as thinking about mineral water residue on my skin. After all, heaps of people don't use a toner and clean their skin with tap water and their skin is fine. I also don't really rely on cleansers adding anything good to my skin - I am satisfied when I find one that removes my makeup well and doesn't dry out my face. I leave the "adding of good stuff" to serums, creams, masks and some toners too I guess. Well, that's my position on the matter anyway Smile I haven't yet checked out the site you mentioned - I love reading new skincare related stuff though Rolling Eyes so I'll have a look on the weekend. Re: the wash cloth. Now that you menioned it I think I will actually use one (I quite like using warm washcloths Smile) but I'll still put the toner on after. Btw, did they say that it had to be a COLD wash cloth? Coz that would make even more sense to me (though I hate cold washcloths :s).

Thoughtcrime - I really like the Fango mud though it does sting a bit and after a while when it dries it really pulls your skin (don't talk with this one on!). I've got a few things that I have resently tried that I want to write about but they'll have to wait till the weekend. Work's been crazy busy this week :s Got your email, sorry for no reply - will do on weekend as well Wink
kristenrhea

Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy:

Thanks for your reply. It helps. I can get carried away sometimes. Anyway, warm wash cloth. If you use a warm wash cloth first, you may come up with a clean cotton after using toner. I got more dirty residue after I cleansed with Dr. Hauschka and just rinsed with warm water, and toned with rose hydrosol afterward. Edie

Tue May 07, 2024 1:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Skin Biology Super Cop Skin Remodeling Cream - Large (113.4 g / 4 oz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |