Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
DeVita Sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:03 am      Reply with quote
Hello lovely ladies.....I am considering trying the DeVita sunscreen and I would like to know where things stand with the micronized zinc.

Is it safe? I would welcome everyone's opinion.

TIA
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:37 am      Reply with quote
There have been threads on safety before if you run an advanced search. TBH I don't think you will get a different answer until further research is carried out. The medical profession generally consider micronised to be completely safe but - as with every foodstuff drug or ingredient - a minority of the alternative community have concerns. Have you considered discussing this with your dermatologist or family doctor?
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=45596
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13536
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29290

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:49 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the links,Firefox7275. I knew that the topic was discussed before but I couldn't really remember the consensus that most of the forum members came to.

I don't see a dermatologist and my family doctor is not up to date on studies done with micronized zinc.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Micronized zinc is safe and has been given the thumbs-up by EWG.

Devita however ... let me just say that it falls short of the spf30 mark.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
So, what I gather from reading the above links is that some people think DeVita is safe and some don't. Some feel micronized zinc is safe and some don't. Some will use sunscreens with micronized zinc but not if they're nano particles. Some say zinc becomes unstable from the sun, but some think that it doesn't. Titanium Dioxide seems to be safer but studies say otherwise Shock
radicallan
5% products discount

Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
yeah fawnie, i emailed devita about the spf 20 rumour and the woman was incredibly unhelpful.. she just started copy + pasting random stuff that had nothing to do with my question.

she didn't seem too happy either, instead of answering/defending its rating she just demanded to know where/who i heard it from.

it's a shame since devita seems like something i'd like to try Sad pratima is too annoying to get.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
So, what I gather from reading the above links is that some people think DeVita is safe and some don't. Some feel micronized zinc is safe and some don't. Some will use sunscreens with micronized zinc but not if they're nano particles. Some say zinc becomes unstable from the sun, but some think that it doesn't. Titanium Dioxide seems to be safer but studies say otherwise Shock

Yes, that is it in a nutshell! Bottom line, Everyone has a different opinion on what is safe and what isn't safe and you just have to decide for yourself what you are willing to use and/or not use.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:44 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl....thank you for confirming my thoughts. Now I have to spend time figuring out the right sunscreen for myself. I'm never happy with what I'm using and I'm always looking for something better. Only now I'm just not sure what "better" is.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:04 am      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
rileygirl....thank you for confirming my thoughts. Now I have to spend time figuring out the right sunscreen for myself. I'm never happy with what I'm using and I'm always looking for something better. Only now I'm just not sure what "better" is.

Hi leeleedeedee, I've tried a lot of sunscreens in the past. If your skin is anything like mine I could give you my thoughts on how different ones worked for me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:20 am      Reply with quote
My SO surprised me yesterday with the DeVita Solar Protective Moisturizer SPF 30+. He knew I've been looking at it for a while but was waiting for a sale.
Here are my thoughts so far:
1) Skin feels great, soft, and not greasy, but moisturized. I love it!
2) The company was started by a woman who suffered from cystic acne and sun damage up to her 40's, living in Phoenix AZ - that's very similar to my story. I am younger but have the same issues and live in Phoenix. I would expect this chemistry PhD to know what she's doing when creating sun screen for the unforgiving Phoenix sun. I can't vouch for the validity of the SPF, but I want to believe that someone who has experienced the effects of cystic acne and strong sun would come up with a good product. I guess I could go out in the sun at noon to really test it, but I'd rather not... I am curious to find out if anyone scientifically proves or disproves their SPF claims.
3) DeVita claims they do not use any nanotechnology. However, on the sunscreen bottle it is printer that some doctors advise the application of sunscreen even at night for the skin to build up protection for the day. This confuses me. If it isn't nano ZnO, then why would it penetrate the skin? And if it doesn't penetrate the skin, then don't you just wash it off first thing in the morning anyway?... This is something I do want to contact the company about.
4) I love the ingredients. All natural, even some antioxidants in there.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:25 am      Reply with quote
I didn't want to try Devita sunscreen after reading reviews on MUA where people said they got color or freckles etc still with it. Confused
radicallan
5% products discount

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:29 am      Reply with quote
regarding 3 i think that only applies to chemical sunscreens.. still a silly thing imo, tretinoin/antioxidants or irritating chemicals.. no brainer Rolling Eyes
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:30 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
I didn't want to try Devita sunscreen after reading reviews on MUA where people said they got color or freckles etc still with it. Confused

I currently have some sun spots (acne turned into hyperpigmentation) and am trying to avoid any new ones. I will report after I will have used this for a while.
I get plenty of UV radiation just from walking to and from my car every day...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:32 am      Reply with quote
Thanks fitgineer, I would like to know what you think!
2dagym
5% products discount

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:41 am      Reply with quote
I read somewhere that sunscreens with a PA+++ rating have the ability to stop even dark skin individuals from obtaining a tan which is great for me since I am medium brown skinned. I am currently using one with this rating and it has worked well so far but then again I am not out often in the sun for more than running in and out of places. I will put it to the test on my vacation in July.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:

I do like the feel of this sunscreen but I stopped using it when I was going to be out in the sun for long periods (like driving in the car for 3hr.)because I still got color with it on. But sometimes still use if just running in and out of places and a lot of people love it and don't get any color. So maybe it just depends on your skin type.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD.....I am always interested in your thoughts and opinions. Please feel free to express them. I don't know what sunscreen to use so I am open to anything.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
CookieD.....I am always interested in your thoughts and opinions. Please feel free to express them. I don't know what sunscreen to use so I am open to anything.

Hi leeleedeedee, if you look at the burnout sunscreen review (physical sunscreen)-rave thread on page 12 you will see an overview on some of the ones I've tried. Sorry I don't know how to post a link to that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Thank you, CookieD. I will have a look at Burnout. I'm a bit disappointed because I was looking forward to trying out the DeVita. But after reading some of these posts I don't think it would be wise. So, I'm on the lookout for a new sunscreen.
havana8

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:53 am      Reply with quote
Not sure if you've seen these threads, leeleedee:

Devita Sunscreen
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31436

Too Good To Be True? Devita Sunscreen
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=40831

Smile
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:23 am      Reply with quote
All SPF30 sunscreens get complaints about getting colour through if you read enough reviews, some people don't expect to have to reapply and maybe they don't apply enough initially. Also bear in mind Devita was reformulated a couple of years ago - afraid I don't know what those changes were.

AFAIK you won't get more protection than around 20% zinc without adding in another physical or a chemical agent because around that point even micronised zinc can give a white cast. The Devita Rx Ultrasolar 50 contains both 19% zinc and 8% titanium if you want higher protection. These products are not water-resistant: I've got the impression some of the competitors are better in this respect which again may be reflected in reviews.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:06 am      Reply with quote
I just want to share an experience with another sunscreen, which may suggest that (ineffective) sunscreen itself is not the only issue when getting color.
I live in Phoenix, AZ and I get bright, strong sun almost every day of the year. I was using Dermalogica Fresh Matte SPF 15 on a daily basis about two years ago (when I didn't know much about skin care, but thought SPF in my moisturizer would be a good idea). I never noticed any color, unless I was out in the sun for over an hour, without reapplying.
Then, I took a 2 day trip to San Diego a weekend in July. I wore the same Dermalogica product, and even reapplied once. I wasn't out in the sun other than walking around for a bit at Sea World. Got back to Phoenix. Monday morning I am getting ready for work, in my well lit bathroom, looking in my magnifying mirror... and... horror!!! I had freckles all over my face!!! I NEVER in my life had freckles before! They went away after about a week, and have never had them since. I continued to use the Dermalogica, even if I were out in the sun longer.
What does this tell us? The sun is different depending on where you are in the world. I bet pollution had a lot to do with it too. Maybe even humidity. I always thought the UV radiation in Phoenix is among the highest in the US, yet a simple SPF 15 never resulted in freckles or color... and one weekend in San Diego turned my face into a freckle party!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Yes but I thought everyone knew the sun is different in different areas. Although I don't know how far apart San Diego and Arizona are! But I thought this way for countries at least.

I feel like micronized zinc sunscreens aren't as effective as non-micronized sunscreens. Does anyone know if that's true? I wonder if anyone knows if Shiseido spf 55 sunscreen is micro or not. I should try to find out.

And if all spf 30 sunscreens get complaints of color, aren't they all not doing what they're supposed to be doing then?! Seems pointless to use them then if they're allowing damage to occur. Shock
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Well... my understanding is that SPF 30 != sun block... I don't even think there is a product out there that can be labeled "Sun Block" with the new FDA regulations...
So if there is no such thing as a sun block topical product, then isn't some damage expected?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Well if higher spf and different sunscreen = no additional color, doesn't that equal less damage then?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |