Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Pearl Powder
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sweetp
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
I am really intrigued by the concept of this powder and was wondering if anyone has ever or is using it. If so, what results have you seen, how do you use it, when do you use it and how often. I would also love to know what brand is effective for anyone using this powder as I do not know up from down when it comes to pearl powder Smile
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
From what I have read and my own experiences,

1. initially I had some fanatical idea of using pearl powder as dusting powder, but does nothing in the way of oil absorption, and it has a not so pleasant smell
2. historically used as part of face creams, face wash, to help with whitening, antiaging, smoothing
3. can be purchased in many grades, regular ground pearl, soluble ground pearl, medicinal pearl (taken internally) and all forms can be used as a calcium + mineral supplement.

I usually purchase from ebay, if you search for 'pearl powder' and there is a guy called tsingdao trading I think. He sells reasonably priced 50g bags, in soluble and normal ground form. Most pearl powder would be from Chinese pharmaceutical or medicinal companies, but some pharmaceutical grade stuff is really expensive and overpriced.

I have also received USP grade pearl powder from a cosmeceuticals supplier, but have yet used any to integrate into my DIY recipes.

My mother, after she had surgery, rubbed pure pearl powder onto her scar and it reduced the scar tissue and discolouration significantly.
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi sweetp, one of our member Mary mentioned how she uses pearl powder in the following thread:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15674

HTH. Razz
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:06 am      Reply with quote
I have not had experience with pearl powder itself but I have used an expensive pearl powder CREAM from some chinese brand which I've never heard of. I used it for a few nights and it really clogged my pores up, not sure if it was the cream or the powder in the cream but the one I used was supposedly more pure than other powder creams. I dont remember the brand as I gave it back to my aunt after it didn't work out for me.
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:34 am      Reply with quote
That sounds nice - like it would create a real glow.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi sweetp.

As CK mentioned, I use pearl powder in a paste-type prep that I make myself [just made a new batch yesterday] ... and I've found it to be a wonderful inclusion in my routine.

I too had used pearl creams in the past ... only to be disappointed with the results ... but that was all the other junk in the cream and not necessarily the pearl powder in it.

I really get annoyed when I see people slamming a particular single ingredient in a commercial preparation ... while ignoring all the stuff that accommpanies that single ingredient. I've found that my skin reacts to just about any cream ... regardless of price. For me, I think it's emulsifiers that are at fault. Smile

At any rate ... my "pearl paste" is great for reducing inflamation ... and helping to heal problems. It's quite drying, however, on its own [which is just pearl powder mixed with distilled water and aloe vera gel] ... so I add jojoba or rose hip seed oil to make it "richer".

I currently use what I call my "rich pearl paste" as a moisturizer, although I keep some of the regular "pearl paste" on hand for any suspicious areas that threaten to become blemishes.

I gave some of this to my girlfriend who thinks it's miraculous ... and if applied when a bump is just beginning [red and tender but not yet a blemish] will actually get rid of it before it becomes an actual spot!

I get my pearl powder from TBK and while it's water soluable, it's not fine enough to use as a "powder". However, you could disolve it in water and then let that water evaporate to make it into a powder again I suppose. [Hmmmm ... I must try that!]

However, it's very water soluable ... and I am really liking my pearl paste. Very Happy

Being a person whose skin reacts to just about anything that is commercially prepared, I would not suggest that you try any of the pearl creams on the market ... but if you're willing to experiment with DIY projects I think you'll be very intrigued with the possibilities of this element.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I remember when I researched pearl powder a year or so ago ( had heard very good things about it ) I found the prices varied to such a degree I found it confusing. From $20 to about $200 for larger bags. Some of the same size vials varied $20 to about $75. I wasn't sure if some of them were just overpriced, or the cheaper ones were not the real thing or maybe not as good! Anyway, I decided to not order it because I couldn't understand why the prices would vary so greatly! Sad
Maybe someone (Mary?) could shed some light on this.
Mary - also, what is TBK? Thanks so much for any help you can give me, as I really was interested in buying this product, and would love to take another look! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
OMG Mary you are my new best friend I really want more details on the pearl paste that you make once I receive my order, as your skin sounds very similar to mine. What exactly is TBK and how much does the powder cost you? have you ever taken it internally as well - does anyone know what the benefits are of taking it internally?
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Sportygirl

There are two different types of pearls ... freshwater and saltwater. Just as with jewelry, freshwater pearls are less expensive than saltwater pearls ... because it's much more difficult to get saltwater pearls. What's more, about 20 years ago, the saltwater pearl market was stymied because the pearl beds in Japan were poluted ... and that's when saltwater pearls [both cultured and natural] became exhorbitantly expensive. Smile

Now, in jewelry, there is a real difference between the cost of cultured pearls and "natural" pearls ... again because of rarity and the difficulty of acquiring them. Freshwater pearls, however, are very "available" ... not very large ... and thus of less value.

So some of the expensive pearl powder on the market may be from crushed saltwater pearls ... which is a real shame if you, like me, are a fan of wearing pearls.

However, whether there is any real benefit to using the powder from crushed saltwater pearls over crushed freshwater pearls I don't know.

The pearl powder I use is, I believe, crushed freshwater pearls ... and according to the supplier is 31% calcium, 56% protein with an assortment [18 I think] amino acids.

TBK is the supplier ... and the link to the "Authentic Pearl Powder" is here ...

http://www.tkbtrading.com/index.php?item=314&ret=http%3A%2F%2F72.37.149.157%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3D1%26category%3D13&PHPSESSID=c62e906737ecb93b757c545592fa7024

If that doesn't work ... go to

http://www.tkbtrading.com/

Select the "base powders and additives" and the Authentic Pearl Powder is on page 1.

Hi sweetp

I pay $7 per ounce ... and an ounce of pearl powder makes quite a bit of my pearl paste. Very Happy

I've never taken it internally ... but because pearls are, basically, calcium ... along with protein and amino acids, I would imagine that it's a good supplement for bone development. Crushed pearls are water soluable, which may make it a more bio-avaiable source of calcium for some.

Certainly with the amino acids, it would be a reasonable supplement.

Whether or not taking it internally helps the skin I don't know. It takes so long to see a real benefit from ingesting a supplement, because, presumably, it takes a long time for most things to make it up to the skin, I haven't yet opted for that particular experiment.

It works so well for me topically ... well ... I haven't wanted to waste it by ingesting it! Laughing

I'd be more than happy to give you the recipe for the pearl paste [very easy] when you get your order ... just PM me.

Mary
[/b]

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
Mary it is safe to say that you will be hearing from me Wink Thanks!!!
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:16 am      Reply with quote
Mary - thankyou so much for your quick reply and the link. This info. really helped! Very Happy

Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:56 am      Reply with quote
good for oily skin ,but do not leave pearl pwder on ur face long time.it extracts too much water.
itisme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:03 am      Reply with quote
I tried for a month and then quited. The powder is hard to stay on the face and messed all over me. My purpose is oil control and healing my pimples. No positive results.

Age 27. Combination. Dry for winter and oil for summer. Acne prone. Uneven tone.Aging, worry about losing firmness.-------------------------I believe in that there is nobody else having worse skin than me. I keep looking for products can give me smooth, acne free yet soothing, firm, and radiant look.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi parsleythyme,

I've been using my pearl paste [which is, basically pearl powder mixed with distilled water and aloe vera gel] since last winter ... and haven't had a problem with it drawing moisture from my skin at all. Indeed, it leaves my face feeling very soft.

Hi itisme,

There are different kinds of pearl powder, Some, generally made from "mother of pearl" add a luster to some mineral makeup. Other pearl powders don't add lustre ... but they are intended to be mixed with other powders.

The type of pearl powder I use suggests that it's not appropriate to use in its "powder" form but to dissolve it in water and use it in skin treatments.

If the powder you used didn't adhere to your face, I would think it wasn't meant to do what you needed it to do.

I find that my pearl paste has wondrous anti-inflamatory properties ... and keeps blemishes from forming.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 07, 2012 7:09 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone else have any experience with using pearl powder? I saw some on the NCN site and was thinking about purchasing it. Has anyone tried this particular pearl powder? I'm thinking about adding some to face cream for topical benefits but also to make my face cream have a sort of opalescent/pearlescent finish. Does anyone know if this pearl powder would work for that or is it just matte looking?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 07, 2012 7:38 am      Reply with quote
egyptiangoddess wrote:
Does anyone else have any experience with using pearl powder? I saw some on the NCN site and was thinking about purchasing it. Has anyone tried this particular pearl powder? I'm thinking about adding some to face cream for topical benefits but also to make my face cream have a sort of opalescent/pearlescent finish. Does anyone know if this pearl powder would work for that or is it just matte looking?

I was lucky to purchase a good amount from an e-store that went out of business and I use it for added luminosity in my homemade MMU, I have not made any creams with it as an addition but we have some recipes in the recipe index:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

• Powders, Primers & MMU
Carekate's Silk Dust Primer and/or Finishing Powder: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=153210#153210
Divine Diva's Pressing Shadows, Pigments, Minerals: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6405732#6405732
hpjrt's (Mary's) Basic Pearl Paste: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=169280#169280
hpjrt's (Mary's) Pearl Powder Paste Moisturizer: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=175743#175743
hpjrt's (Mary's) Basic Silk/Pearl Primer Powder: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=169738#169738
hpjrt's (Mary's) Oil Mix for MMU Foundation: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=82002#82002
Milk of Magnesium Primer: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=43581#43581
Skippie's Face Powder: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=487813#487813
Tia R's version of MAC Fix+: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=85649#85649

HTH Very Happy

Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:20 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |